Particle or wave: What is the true nature of light?

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of light being both a particle and a wave, and whether or not it can generate sonic booms. The conclusion is that light is neither strictly a particle nor a wave, and that it interacts with air as a wave. Additionally, it is mentioned that high-energy charged particles can produce the electromagnetic equivalent to a sonic boom, but light does not have the same properties.
norhh
If light is a particle then it should definitely make sonic booms.but i did not find them even by keeping my er on light.ok light value is high but even if these guys did mistake in calculations then also it is definitely greater 1000km/hr but i would not happen.even for x-rays holds ssame.and protons,electrons,neutrons.

Science news on Phys.org
?

Sonic booms?

... He thinks individual photons traveling through air should generate sonic booms because speed of light is greater than speed of sound.I don't think any particle beam would generate a sonic boom traveling through air at supersonic speeds. Seems to me like you need a fairly massive object for that. But I could be off.

In any case, light interacts with air as a wave. Keep in mind that all particles exhibit duality. They have wave-like properties and particle-like properties. Nothing is strictly one or the other. But different interactions can result in one or the other manifesting strongly. Wavelength of visible light being greater than size of molecules in air, and even greater than average distance between molecules, light will interact with air as a wave. Therefore, there are no particle-like collisions between photons and air molecules.

At sufficiently high energies, such as these of gamma radiation, photons will begin interacting with air in a more particle-like manner.

K^2 said:
... He thinks individual photons traveling through air should generate sonic booms because speed of light is greater than speed of sound.

I don't think any particle beam would generate a sonic boom traveling through air at supersonic speeds. Seems to me like you need a fairly massive object for that. But I could be off.

In any case, light interacts with air as a wave. Keep in mind that all particles exhibit duality. They have wave-like properties and particle-like properties. Nothing is strictly one or the other. But different interactions can result in one or the other manifesting strongly. Wavelength of visible light being greater than size of molecules in air, and even greater than average distance between molecules, light will interact with air as a wave. Therefore, there are no particle-like collisions between photons and air molecules.

At sufficiently high energies, such as these of gamma radiation, photons will begin interacting with air in a more particle-like manner.

Thanks i did not knew that thing i thought light is both a particle and wave.

i thought light is both a particle and wave.
That is true.

High-energetic charged particles in matter can produce the electromagnetic equivalent to a sonic boom: Cherenkov radiation
But that requires charged and very quick particles, light does not work.

norhh said:
Thanks i did not knew that thing i thought light is both a particle and wave.

Actually, it may be neither.

You should start by reading the FAQ subforum in the General Physics forum, and in particular, this entry:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=511178

Zz.

1. What is the particle theory of light?

The particle theory of light, also known as the corpuscular theory, states that light is made up of tiny, discrete particles called photons. These particles have no mass but carry energy and travel at the speed of light.

2. How does the particle theory of light differ from the wave theory of light?

The wave theory of light, also known as the electromagnetic theory, proposes that light is a series of electromagnetic waves. Unlike the particle theory, this theory suggests that light does not have a discrete particle nature but instead behaves as a continuous wave.

3. What evidence supports the particle theory of light?

Some of the key evidence for the particle theory of light includes the photoelectric effect, where photons of light are absorbed by electrons, and the Compton effect, where photons scatter off of particles. Additionally, the particle theory can explain phenomena such as diffraction, refraction, and interference.

4. Who first proposed the particle theory of light?

The particle theory of light was first proposed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century. He believed that light was made up of small particles that traveled in straight lines and were responsible for the color and brightness of objects.

5. How does the particle theory of light relate to modern theories of light?

The particle theory of light was eventually replaced by the wave theory in the 19th century. However, with the development of quantum mechanics, scientists have come to understand that light behaves as both a particle and a wave, depending on how it is observed. This dual nature of light is now explained by the modern theory of quantum electrodynamics.