Find Function f(x) to Satisfy Lim & Improper Integral

In summary, the function f(x) is defined on the interval [1,2], is continuous and infinitely differentiable, and has the following integral: \int_{1}^{+\infty} f(x)dx=\int_{1}^{2} f(x)dx+\int_{2}^{+\infty} f(x)dx=\lim_{a\searrow 1}\int_{a}^{2} f(x)dx=-1-\lim_{a\searrow 1}\ln(a-1)=+\infty.
Chen
I need to find a function f(x), if one exists, such that:
lim (x->inf) x^2*f(x) = 0
And the improper integral of f(x) from 1 to infinity doesn't exist.

I'm thinking that no function can satisfy these requirements, but apparently I'm wrong... help anyone?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let f(x) on the interval [1,2] be as follows:
0 for x rational, 1 for x irrational.

From [2,..) let f(x)=0 for all x
Since f is not integrable on [1,2], the improper integral doesn't exist either..:wink:
(I'm thinking of Riemann integrability here..)
(Perhaps you where looking for an f such that the integral didn't exist through divergence?)

Yes, I'm sorry, the improper integral needs to diverge. Also I need to be able to write down the function as a formula, without these "cases".

Thank you!

Take the continuous function:
[tex] f(x):(+1,+\infty)\rightarrow R [/tex] (1)

[tex] f(x)=\left\{\begin{array}{cc} \frac{1}{x-1}-1,&\mbox{ if } x\in (1,2]\\ 0,&\mbox{ if } x>2 \end{array}\right [/tex] (2)

It is easily checkable that the function is continuous at every point in its domain and
[tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow +\infty} x^{2}f(x)=0 [/tex] (3)

Its integral
[tex] \int_{1}^{+\infty} f(x) dx=\int_{1}^{2} f(x)dx+\int_{2}^{+\infty} f(x)dx=\lim_{a\searrow 1}\int_{a}^{2} f(x) dx=\lim_{a\searrow 1}[\ln(2-1)-\ln(a-1)-1][/tex]
[tex]=-1-\lim_{a\searrow 1}\ln(a-1)=+\infty [/tex] (4)

Daniel.

Last edited:
Daniel, like I said above the function must be pronounced with a single formula, without different cases for different domains of X.

My friend,that function is an good as any function.It is continuous and infinitely times differentiable on its entire domain of definition.It's as good as e^{x}.If u want a "better" looking one,please be my guest and find it.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
My friend,that function is an good as any function.It is continuous and infinitely times differentiable on its entire domain of definition.It's as good as e^{x}.If u want a "better" looking one,please be my guest and find it.

Daniel.
Our homework is submitted via an online software that is uncapable of accepting answers in the form you posted. Believe me it annoys me much more than it does you, but this is the world we live in. So what I'm after is a function that can be described by a single formula.

Chen

Chen said:
Our homework is submitted via an online software that is uncapable of accepting answers in the form you posted. Believe me it annoys me much more than it does you, but this is the world we live in. So what I'm after is a function that can be described by a single formula.

Chen

What do you mean,"a software that is uncapable of accepting answers in the form you posted"?? :confused: What kind of f***** up software (actually the bonehead who created it) is that?? :grumpy: Can't u just write:
f(x) =\frac{1}{x-1}-1,if 1<x<2,0,if x>=1 ?

It's basically text editing.You could write what I've written even in "Notepad"...

As for the "function which is described by a single formula",i'll say again:"Be my guest and find it".

Daniel.

What about an f defined on a punctuated line:
[tex]f(x)=\frac{1}{(x-a)^{3}}[/tex]
For some "a" greater than 1.

arildno said:
What about an f defined on a punctuated line:
[tex]f(x)=\frac{1}{(x-a)^{3}}[/tex]
For some "a" greater than 1.

Your function is not appropriate:
[tex] \int_{1}^{+\infty} \frac{dx}{(x-a)^{3}}dx=\frac{1}{2}[\lim_{x\searrow a}\frac{1}{(x-a)^{2}}-\lim_{x\nearrow a}\frac{1}{(x-a)^{2}}]+\frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{(1-a)^{2}} [/tex]

Is the result [itex]+\infty [/itex] ??I'd say "no".

For the function
[tex] f(x)=\frac{1}{(x-a)^{4}}[/tex]
,for some "a" greater than 1,the same integral yields:
[tex] \int_{1}^{+\infty} \frac{dx}{(x-a)^{4}}dx=\frac{1}{3}[\lim_{x\searrow a}\frac{1}{(x-a)^{3}}-\lim_{x\nearrow a}\frac{1}{(x-a)^{3}}]+\frac{1}{3}\frac{1}{(1-a)^{3}} [/tex]

Is the result [itex] +\infty [/itex] ??I'd say "yes".

Daniel.

PS.I like my example more.

Well, whatever.

The "single formula"-constraint is rather silly, anyway.
Besides, I still think my first function is more than good enough.

dextercioby said:
What do you mean,"a software that is uncapable of accepting answers in the form you posted"?? :confused: What kind of f***** up software (actually the bonehead who created it) is that?? :grumpy: Can't u just write:
f(x) =\frac{1}{x-1}-1,if 1<x<2,0,if x>=1 ?

It's basically text editing.You could write what I've written even in "Notepad"...

As for the "function which is described by a single formula",i'll say again:"Be my guest and find it".

Daniel.
The software is used not only for submitting the answers but also for checking them. It simply cannot handle expressions such as the one you posted. If you want to change, be my guest.

At any rate, the function you last posted will work.

And for christ's sake, if you got nothing helpful to post - don't post at all.

Doesn't the function f(x)=1/(x-1)^3 satisfy the requirements of the question?

Chen said:
And for christ's sake, if you got nothing helpful to post - don't post at all.

I've come up with an answer.If you didn't like it,that's your problem.I use to think that my answers are helpful,but you're free to think otherwise.
You didn't request a specific answer.
I quote:
Chen said:
I need to find a function f(x), if one exists, such that:
lim (x->inf) x^2*f(x) = 0
And the improper integral of f(x) from 1 to infinity doesn't exist.

I'm thinking that no function can satisfy these requirements, but apparently I'm wrong... help anyone?

How would i know that your stupid software won't accept my solution??The way you formulated,u were looking for a solution,not a very particular solution.

Daniel.

learningphysics said:
Doesn't the function f(x)=1/(x-1)^3 satisfy the requirements of the question?

It is very good,i cannot imagine any simpler solution which can be accepted by that stupid software.
Congratulations! :smile:
Don't delete messages,when you're not sure of them.This one was very good,and,had you seen it,you wiuldn't have deleted.

Daniel.

PS.I may write stupid things,but i leave them there to remind me I'm wrong,from times to times... :tongue2:

I agree:learningphysics' answer is the best and simplest choice here!

dextercioby said:
I've come up with an answer.If you didn't like it,that's your problem.I use to think that my answers are helpful,but you're free to think otherwise.
Your answers may be helpful - albeit wrong too often to my taste - but your degrading and obscene comments are most definitely not.

dextercioby said:
How would i know that your stupid software won't accept my solution??The way you formulated,u were looking for a solution,not a very particular solution.

Daniel.
You would know because I said so, and I quote:
Chen said:
Also I need to be able to write down the function as a formula, without these "cases".

Now do you really wish to continue this worthless argument? Don't you have some more questions in need of answer, or a kitten stuck on a tree that needs to be saved?

Chen.

arildno said:
I agree:learningphysics' answer is the best and simplest choice here!
I would definitely say so. Thanks learningphysics and arildno.

dextercioby said:
It is very good,i cannot imagine any simpler solution which can be accepted by that stupid software.
Congratulations! :smile:
Don't delete messages,when you're not sure of them.This one was very good,and,had you seen it,you wiuldn't have deleted.

Daniel.

PS.I may write stupid things,but i leave them there to remind me I'm wrong,from times to times... :tongue2:

Thanks. :smile: You're right about the posting. Won't delete in the future.

learningphysics said:
Thanks. :smile: You're right about the posting. Won't delete in the future.

You do that!Now,excuse me,i'm a little busy,i got to go and help some poor kitten stuck on a tree.I love kittens,they're adorable... :!) I have three at home.I nicknamed my girlfriend 'my little delicious kitten'... :!)

Daniel.

1. What is the purpose of finding a function f(x) to satisfy a limit and improper integral?

The purpose of finding a function f(x) to satisfy a limit and improper integral is to determine the behavior of a function at a specific point or over a specific interval. This information is useful in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as determining the convergence or divergence of a series, finding the area under a curve, or analyzing the stability of a system.

2. What is a limit and how does it relate to finding a function f(x)?

A limit is a fundamental concept in calculus that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a specific value. It can be thought of as the value that the function "approaches" or "tends to" as the input gets closer and closer to the specified value. In the context of finding a function f(x) to satisfy a limit and improper integral, the limit is used to determine the behavior of the function at a specific point or over a specific interval.

3. What is an improper integral and how is it different from a regular integral?

An improper integral is an integral with one or both limits of integration being infinite or the integrand having an infinite value at one or more points within the interval of integration. This is different from a regular integral, where both the limits of integration are finite and the integrand is continuous over the entire interval.

4. How do you approach finding a function f(x) to satisfy a limit and improper integral?

The approach to finding a function f(x) to satisfy a limit and improper integral depends on the specific problem at hand. In general, the first step is to identify the limit or improper integral that needs to be satisfied. Then, various techniques from calculus, such as integration by parts or substitution, can be used to manipulate the function and find a suitable f(x) that satisfies the given conditions.

5. What are some real-world applications of finding a function f(x) to satisfy a limit and improper integral?

Finding a function f(x) to satisfy a limit and improper integral has various real-world applications. For example, in physics, this concept is used to determine the work done by a variable force, the center of mass of a system, or the moment of inertia of an object. In economics, it can be used to calculate the present value of a continuous income stream. In chemistry, it is used to determine the rate of a chemical reaction. These are just a few examples of how this concept is applied in different fields.