Vertical Spring PE and KE energy

In summary: For example, it would be harder to calculate the time period of oscillation if we had to include gravity. But without gravity, we can say that at the equilibrium position:E_{Total} = 1/2 kA^{2}where A is the amplitude of the motion. We can now say that at any time:1/2 mv^{2} + 1/2 kA^{2} = 1/2 mv_{max}^{2}where v_{max} is the maximum velocity at the equilibrium position (which we can calculate by considering the forces acting on the mass). So we have:v_{max}^{2} = 2A^{2}k/mIf you can't see why
tahayassen
Let's say we have a vertical spring. As it oscillates, the energy bounces between gravitational potential energy, spring potential energy, and kinetic energy, right? Why does my lab say that spring potential energy = kinetic energy at any moment in time? Is that a mistake on their part?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gravitational potential energy is probably negligible. More accurately, the difference in gravitational potential energy between different positions is negligible. You know the mass on your spring, calculate its gravitational potential energy at different positions and see how it compares to the spring's energy (presuming you know the spring constant).

I question the assertion based on the idea that when the mass bounces across the spring's neutral point, it will have zero potential energy while the kinetic energy can be non-zero.

What they should be saying is that the total energy, PE + KE, is conserved and constant in time.

ModusPwnd said:
Gravitational potential energy is probably negligible. More accurately, the difference in gravitational potential energy between different positions is negligible. You know the mass on your spring, calculate its gravitational potential energy at different positions and see how it compares to the spring's energy (presuming you know the spring constant).

Can someone just confirm that this is correct? I'm about to submit a lab tomorrow morning and I'm too tired at the moment to do what he suggested.

Edit: Never mind. I understand why they ignored gravitational potential energy now... If you measure the distance from the hanging equilibrium position (without the mass) opposed to the equilibrium position with mass then gravitational potential energy is incorporated into spring potential energy.

Edit2: Never mind. I think my lab is wrong. I'm so confused.

Last edited:
tahayassen said:
Can someone just confirm that this is correct? I'm about to submit a lab tomorrow morning and I'm too tired at the moment to do what he suggested.

Edit: Never mind. I understand why they ignored gravitational potential energy now... If you measure the distance from the hanging equilibrium position (without the mass) opposed to the equilibrium position with mass then gravitational potential energy is incorporated into spring potential energy.

Edit2: Never mind. I think my lab is wrong. I'm so confused.

If your lab script say PE = KE at all times then it is wrong. Otherwise there would be no transfer of energy and hence no bouncing of the spring!

(With a contrived definition of where PE = 0 you could set up a situation where |PE| = KE, but I'm sure that wasn't their intention).

You're also right about the GPE. If your spring is nice and linear, then you can simplify things by just considering PE (a combination of GPE and spring PE).

Last edited:
mickybob said:
If your spring is nice and linear, then you can simplify things by just considering PE (a combination of GPE and spring PE).

What would the point of that be? :| They would still be two separate terms, right?

tahayassen said:
What would the point of that be? :| They would still be two separate terms, right?

Yes, but only one will be time dependent.

If you consider first a horizontal spring with a mass on the end (i.e. ignore gravity). The total energy, at any time, is:

[itex]E_{Total}= E_{K} + E_{SP}[/itex]

where [itex]E_{K}[/itex] is kinetic energy and [itex]E_{SP}[/itex] is spring potential energy. More explicitly we have:

[itex]E_{Total} = 1/2 mv^{2} + 1/2 kx^{2}[/itex]

where [itex]v[/itex] is the velocity of the mass, and [itex]x[/itex] is the extension of the spring. Assuming we're not losing energy through friction etc., then the total energy is constant from the Conservation of Energy Principle. We can confirm that by substituting in expressions for [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]v[/itex] if we want.

So we have quite a simple situation. In terms of problem solving, we know that:

[itex]1/2 mv^{2} + 1/2 kx^{2} = [/itex] constant

at all times, which is a pretty useful identity.

What I want to show is that we can recover this simple situation even when gravity is involved. I'll do this by working relative to the initial, equilibrium extension of the spring due to gravity.

When the spring is in equilibrium with gravity, forces are balanced - the downward force of gravity matches the upwards force of the spring. So:

[itex]kl = mg[/itex]

where [itex]l[/itex] is the equilibrium extension of the spring and [itex]g[/itex] is the acceleration due to gravity. So the initial extension is:

[itex]l = mg/k[/itex]

which we'll need shortly.

Now, we set the spring bouncing. At any time we have the total energy:

[itex]E_{Total} = E_{K} + E_{GP} + E_{SP}[/itex]

where [itex]E_{GP}[/itex] is gravitational potential energy.

To simplify things, I'm going to choose [itex]E_{GP} = 0[/itex] at the equilibrium position - I'm free to choose this anywhere I like.

Now we can say:

[itex]E_{Total} = 1/2 mv^{2} - mgx + 1/2 k(x + l)^{2}[/itex]

where [itex]x[/itex] is the extension beyond the equilibrium extension at any give time. So the total extension is [itex]x + l[/itex], which is why that expression appears in the term for the spring potential energy.

Now, expand out the final term:

[itex]E_{Total} = 1/2 mv^{2} - mgx + 1/2 kx^{2} + kxl + 1/2 kl^{2}[/itex]

substitute in the expression we calculated for the equilibrium extension, [itex]l[/itex] earlier:

[itex]E_{Total} = 1/2 mv^{2} - mgx + 1/2 kx^{2} + mgx + 1/2 kl^{2}[/itex]

cancel the [itex]mgx[/itex] terms, and we have:

[itex]E_{Total} = 1/2 mv^{2} + 1/2 kx^{2} + 1/2 kl^{2}[/itex]

So now, as you say, we still have three terms instead of two. The first describes the kinetic energy as a function of velocity, and hence of time. The second describes the potential energy as a function of extension from equilibrium, and so also as a function of time. And the final term describes the energy as a function of the equilibrium extension which is a constant in time.

So, in terms of the time evolution of the system, we have got back to a nice, simple, identity:

[itex]1/2 mv^{2} + 1/2 kx^{2}=[/itex] constant

where [itex]x[/itex] is now the extension from equilibrium.

This makes some problems easier to solve.

1. What is vertical spring PE and KE energy?

Vertical spring PE (potential energy) and KE (kinetic energy) are types of energy associated with a vertically oriented spring. PE is the energy stored in the spring when it is stretched or compressed, while KE is the energy of motion when the spring is released.

2. How is vertical spring PE and KE energy calculated?

The potential energy of a vertically oriented spring can be calculated using the equation PE = 1/2kx^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. The kinetic energy can be calculated using the equation KE = 1/2mv^2, where m is the mass attached to the spring and v is the velocity of the mass.

3. What factors affect the amount of vertical spring PE and KE energy?

The amount of potential energy stored in a vertically oriented spring is affected by the spring constant, the displacement of the spring, and the gravitational force acting on the spring. The kinetic energy is affected by the mass attached to the spring and the velocity of the mass.

4. How is vertical spring PE and KE energy used in real-world applications?

Vertical spring PE and KE energy have various applications, such as in shock absorbers, trampolines, and pogo sticks. They are also used in industrial machinery and structures to absorb and release energy in a controlled manner.

5. Can vertical spring PE and KE energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, vertical spring PE and KE energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as thermal energy or sound energy, through different processes. For example, when a spring is compressed and released, some of its energy is converted into sound waves.