Register to reply

What did I just see, guys?

by Disgusting spy
Tags: guys
Share this thread:
Disgusting spy
Aug20-13, 10:35 AM
P: 5
Hello, everyone! Merely an hour ago (at 1:25 +11 GMT to be precise) I saw something in the pictures of the night sky that I took using my camera, using 15, 30 and 60 seconds exposure. (Some time passed between shots) The object that caught my eye is a purple-violet oval, or a thing that is moving above the central building in the middle.

---- 15 seconds exposure (camera slid a bit)

---- 30 seconds exposure

---- 60 seconds

I have to note, that I couldn't find the object in the sky with my binoculars, or see it with an unaided eye - It's onl seen in the pictures. Could it be something unknown, or just a simple reflection of light that got in camera?

By the way, the camera was facing West
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
Mysterious molecules in space
Next-generation Thirty Meter Telescope begins construction in Hawaii
Comet Jacques makes a 'questionable' appearance
Drakkith
Aug20-13, 10:41 AM
Mentor
P: 11,580
It's probably just an issue with light reflecting off the optics in a particular way, but I really can't say.
Borg
Aug20-13, 11:16 AM
PF Gold
P: 759
The images website is blocked where I'm at but, I'll take a guess and suggest that it might be a satellite. Take a look at this site to see what might have passed by your area recently - http://www.heavens-above.com. My first thought would be an Iridium satellite. They can be very bright but they only last a few seconds.

Borek
Aug20-13, 12:31 PM
Admin
P: 23,386
What did I just see, guys?

Looks to me like a reflection, satellites look completely different.
jtbell
Aug20-13, 12:42 PM
Mentor
P: 11,623
In the last two pictures, the elongated blob is oriented at different angles from the vertical, but in both cases it's perpendicular to a line that runs radially from the very bright light to the left. Therefore I also think it's an internal reflection in the lens. The purple color probably comes from coatings on the lens affecting different wavelengths differently.
Disgusting spy
Aug20-13, 02:42 PM
P: 5
I guess you guys are right, this is a reflection. Thanks for your help! :D
Borg
Aug20-13, 04:28 PM
PF Gold
P: 759
Quote Quote by Borek View Post
Looks to me like a reflection, satellites look completely different.
I can see it now from home. Yeah, that doesn't look like a satellite.
Borek
Aug20-13, 04:35 PM
Admin
P: 23,386
Dotini
Aug20-13, 06:25 PM
PF Gold
P: 506
The sensitivity to infrared on a camera may be superior to the human eye.
glappkaeft
Aug22-13, 05:34 AM
P: 82
Generally digital color cameras are equipped with IR/UV cut filters for a host of different reasons. Their sensitivity to IR light should be zero.
LCKurtz
Aug22-13, 02:16 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 7,581
Being in the right place at the right time, I was able to get a clearer picture with my ultra high resolution camera:

Register to reply