How hard is the ACS General Chemistry 1 Exam?

In summary, the speaker is taking the ACS General Chem 1 exam as a final and is concerned about its difficulty. They currently have a 95% in the class and need at least 24 out of 40 to get an A. However, the class has been easy with open note assignments, while the exam is not open note and is rumored to have a curve. The speaker asks for others' experiences with the exam and suggests looking up practice questions and past exams for preparation.
Rnotaria
Hi. Tomorrow I am taking the ACS General Chem 1 exam as a final. It's supposed to be 40 questions but I heard it is incredibly difficult. I currently have a 95% in my class and need to get at least 24 out of 40 to get an A for the semester. The problem is that my class was so easy (we got to use note cards on tests, open note quizzes, effort based homework) while this test is supposed to be hard AND it's not open note. I also heard there is a curve although I do not know how much.

What grade did you guys get on it if you have taken it (without the curve).

Chemistry news on Phys.org
That's hard to say since everyone's experience is different. Some people may have gotten a perfect score, while others could have struggled to get a passing grade. To get a better sense of what grade you might expect on the exam, it would be helpful to talk to other students who have taken it and see how they did. You can also look up practice questions and past exams online to get a better idea of the difficulty level. Good luck!

1. How is the ACS General Chemistry 1 Exam structured?

The ACS General Chemistry 1 Exam is a standardized, multiple-choice exam consisting of 70 questions. It is broken down into two sections: 35 questions on general chemistry concepts and 35 questions on organic and biochemistry concepts.

2. How long is the ACS General Chemistry 1 Exam?

The exam is typically 2 hours and 15 minutes long, but the exact length may vary depending on your testing location.

3. What topics are covered on the ACS General Chemistry 1 Exam?

The exam covers a wide range of topics including atomic structure, chemical bonding, stoichiometry, thermodynamics, and kinetics, as well as organic and biochemistry topics such as functional groups, nomenclature, and reactions.

4. How difficult is the ACS General Chemistry 1 Exam?

The difficulty of the exam may vary depending on your level of understanding and preparation. However, it is generally considered to be a challenging exam that requires a thorough understanding of the material and strong problem-solving skills.

5. How can I prepare for the ACS General Chemistry 1 Exam?

There are several resources available to help you prepare for the exam, such as study guides, practice exams, and review sessions. It is also important to attend class, take thorough notes, and actively engage in the material throughout the semester. Additionally, practicing with past exams and reviewing key concepts and equations can also help improve your performance on the exam.