When are oogenesis and spermatogenesis arrested until the onset of puberty?

• Thread starter Sastronaut
  • Start date
In summary, oogenesis and spermatogenesis are both arrested at different stages until the onset of puberty in humans. Oogenesis is arrested at the diplotene stage of prophase I until the female reaches puberty, while spermatogenesis is arrested at the spermatogonia stage. The primary spermatocyte also arrests at the prophase I stage, but it is not specified when it is released from arrest. This is not a homework question, but rather a need to understand the cycle of oogenesis and spermatogenesis. The primary oocyte remains arrested until puberty, and the secondary oocyte is arrested until fertilization takes place.
Sastronaut
Hey PF! Have two questions about Oogenesis and Spermatogenesis! In human beings when is oogenesis and spermatogenesis arrested until the onset of puberty? I believe it is at Prophase I and at Primary Spermatocytes, but is this correct? Any input would be great!

Thanks PF!

Biology news on Phys.org
nvm,

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Thank you for your help! Then does spermatogenesis arrest at spermatogonia until the onset of puberty?

i made a mistake in my original post... the 1˚ spermatocyte actually does arrest. I'm not sure when.

Is this homework?

No big deal Tdod appreciate your help and no it is not; I need to understand the cycle and I don't yet. When I read about it the material only speaks of the arrest occurring at meiosis I it doesn't talk about prophase I

Last edited:
spermatocytes never gets arrested.

primary oocytes arrest at diplotene stage of prophaseI till the female reach puberty. (remember oocyte porduction starts at the time of birth in females).
secondary oocytes are also arrested at the metaphaseII stage till the process of fertilisation take place.

Likes 1 person

1. What is the difference between oogenesis and spermatogenesis?

Oogenesis is the process by which female gametes, or eggs, are produced in the ovaries. Spermatogenesis is the process by which male gametes, or sperm, are produced in the testes.

2. How does oogenesis and spermatogenesis occur?

Oogenesis and spermatogenesis both involve the production and maturation of germ cells through a series of cell divisions and differentiation. However, they differ in the timing and location of these processes.

3. What are the key hormones involved in oogenesis and spermatogenesis?

In females, the key hormones involved in oogenesis include follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) and luteinizing hormone (LH), which are produced by the pituitary gland and regulate the menstrual cycle. In males, the key hormone involved in spermatogenesis is testosterone, produced by the testes.

4. What are the main functions of oogenesis and spermatogenesis?

The main function of oogenesis is to produce mature eggs for fertilization and reproduction. The main function of spermatogenesis is to produce mature sperm for fertilization and reproduction.

5. What factors can affect oogenesis and spermatogenesis?

Oogenesis and spermatogenesis can be influenced by various factors, including age, nutrition, hormonal imbalances, and environmental toxins. Any disruptions to these processes can result in fertility issues or reproductive disorders.