Relevant informations about photovoltaic cells

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of aiming for something seemingly impossible, specifically the goal of making solar cells cheap and widely available. The speaker is a teenager with free time and a background in physics, particularly quantum mechanics and quantum computing. They express interest in researching energy solutions, specifically the inefficiency of photovoltaic cells and the laws of thermodynamics involved. The main factors affecting the efficiency of PV cells are the bandgap and the depletion region, and the speaker recommends understanding these concepts in order to fully comprehend PV technology. They also suggest a resource, pveducation.org, for further learning on the topic.
1832vin
it's good to aim for something impossible.
so... recently, i have a lot of free time (oh, I'm only in my teens), and i would like aim to be someone who makes solar cells cheap and available, that kinda thing
i know physics, like general relativity, and some quantum mechanics, recently I'm hooked into quantum computing and am reading this http://www.johnboccio.com/research/quantum/notes/QC10th.pdf
and i would like to research concurrently into energy solutions, just cause.
so, what kinda thing do i need to research into understanding almost EVERYTHING of a photovoltaic cell and why is it so inefficient? what laws of thermodynamics?
i have time, like alot.
may i ask for some leads?

Engineering news on Phys.org
2 big reasons.

First is the bandgap. Photons hitting the semiconductor need to have a minimum energy to force a electron out of its orbit. Anything below this energy does nothing. I believe anything above this energy is wasted (not 100% sure, been awhile). Shine some red LEDs at a PV cell, nothing happens no matter the number or size of the LEDs. Shine a blue light on it, it works. Shine a violet light on it the same size as the blue one, you get the same energy even though violet photons are more energetic.

2nd has to do with the depletion region. The depletion region is the area surrounding the border between two alternately doped semiconductors. This is where the magic happens in semiconductor physics. The energy from the photon is converted here, but it has to get here first. Unfortunately, the depletion region does not extend all the way through the top layer, so the photon needs to penetrate some distance through top layer to be useful. The top layer is made as thin as possible to accommodate this, given manufacturing restrictions. This also means that the PV needs to be angled toward the sun for max power, not only to increase surface area but also because the distance photons have to travel through that top layer increases as it tilts away, like the atmosphere does with a rising/setting sun.

So, to really understand PVs, understand the band gap and the depletion region.

http://www.pveducation.org/pvcdrom is a really good resource for PV stuff.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person

1. What are photovoltaic cells?

Photovoltaic cells are devices that convert sunlight directly into electricity. They are also known as solar cells.

2. How do photovoltaic cells work?

Photovoltaic cells work by using the photovoltaic effect, which is the process of converting sunlight into electricity. When sunlight hits the surface of the cell, it causes a flow of electrons, generating an electrical current.

3. What are the different types of photovoltaic cells?

There are three main types of photovoltaic cells: monocrystalline, polycrystalline, and thin-film. Monocrystalline cells are made from a single crystal of silicon, while polycrystalline cells are made from multiple fragments of silicon. Thin-film cells are made from layers of different materials, such as amorphous silicon or cadmium telluride.

4. What are the advantages of using photovoltaic cells?

Some advantages of using photovoltaic cells include: they produce clean energy, they have no moving parts and require minimal maintenance, they can be installed in remote areas, and they have a long lifespan.

5. What are the limitations of photovoltaic cells?

Some limitations of photovoltaic cells include: they are dependent on sunlight, their efficiency decreases in high temperatures, they can be expensive to install, and currently they cannot produce electricity at night.