Finding d in Circle-Circle Intersection Equation

In summary, The conversation discusses how to solve for the unknown variable d in an equation involving circle-circle intersection and the area of overlap. The equation contains arccos and square root functions, making it difficult to isolate d algebraically. However, one can use a graphing software to plot the equation and approximate the value of d, which is found to be slightly less than 15.95.
FysixFox
Gold Member
Okay, so I've found out about how circle-circle intersection works ( http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Circle-CircleIntersection.html ). I'm working with the following knowledge:

1. The area of the overlap is 100
  2. The two circles have the same radius, 12
  3. d is unknown

How would I solve for d in the following equation?

A = 2r2arccos(d/2r) - 0.5sqrt(4r2d2 - d4)

or, with the values put in:

100 = 288arccos(d/24) - 0.5sqrt(576d2 - d4)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Solve numerically?

olivermsun said:
Solve numerically?

Numerically. Or at all. I don't know what to do when there's all this arccos and square root stuff everywhere aand I can't find out how to isolate d.

One way is to arrange your equation in any convenient way you like, and graph the left and right sides as functions of d.

olivermsun said:
One way is to arrange your equation in any convenient way you like, and graph the left and right sides as functions of d.

The problem is, there's only one possible answer for d. How would I even know if I got close? I mean, I know it's less than 24 and proooobably more than 12, but... that's just from thinking about the circles on a graph.

Well, for sure 0 ≤ d ≤ 24, so just try plotting over that interval first and see what happens.

olivermsun said:
Well, for sure 0 ≤ d ≤ 24, so just try plotting over that interval first and see what happens.

Hm, let's use a graphing software to save time... Aha! It seems that the equation works when d is slightly less than 15.95... thanks! :)

1. What is "Circle-Circle Intersection"?

"Circle-Circle Intersection" is a mathematical concept that involves finding the points of intersection between two circles. It is often used in geometry, computer graphics, and other fields of science.

2. How is "Circle-Circle Intersection" calculated?

The calculation of "Circle-Circle Intersection" involves using the equations of two circles, and solving them simultaneously to find the points of intersection. This can be done algebraically or geometrically.

3. Can two circles have more than two points of intersection?

No, two circles can only have a maximum of two points of intersection. This is because a circle can only intersect another circle at two points.

4. What happens if the two circles do not intersect?

If the two circles do not intersect, there are three possibilities: they are completely separate from each other, they are tangent to each other at one point, or one circle is contained within the other.

5. How is "Circle-Circle Intersection" used in real life applications?

"Circle-Circle Intersection" has many real life applications, including in navigation systems, collision detection in computer graphics, and determining the position of objects in space. It is also used in fields such as architecture, engineering, and surveying.