Find the potential difference between 2 junctions (nodes)

In summary, the author is asking how to find the potential difference between two points in a circuit with 2 emfs. The author tried using the junction rule and the loop rule, but wasn't sure if they were correct. Finally, the author attached an image of the circuit to show what they are referring to.
CogitoEAS
Hello,

I'm wondering how to determine the value of the potential difference between two points (junctions specifically) in a circuit with 2 emfs. The junctions are points x and y in the circuit below.

IMG_2838.jpg

I thought I could use the junction rule to determine the current at each junction, but I don't see how that can help me find the potential at those points as I don't see how I can find the resistance there. Then I tried using the loop rule on loop abcda to find the difference of the potentials (-(2A*5ohms)+28)-(-6A)(3ohms)=36V) but I'm not sure if that's correct, and this is a written assignment so I can't check if the answer is right or wrong.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Also, I tried to edit the title to read "Find" but I guess it won't update.....don't judge me

CogitoEAS said:
I'm wondering how to determine the value of the potential difference between two points (junctions specifically) in a circuit with 2 emfs.
I thought I could use the junction rule to determine the current at each junction
You don't need to determine the currents. All of the currents are already given. Just use Ohms law with the known currents and known resistances to determine any unknown voltages.

PS, I fixed the title.

Thanks for the reply! So if I want to calculate the potential at x I would add the potentials at both batteries and resistors 1 & 2? Or are you telling me to use ohms law at that point with the given current? In which case I don't know what the value for resistance would be at a junction

Unfortunately, your ascii art got seriously degraded, so I cannot tell you about specific points and so forth. From what I can tell, if you set your ground on the left then the only unknown voltage is on the right. So just use Ohm's law across any of the resistors to obtain it.

Sorry about that - this is actually my first post and I didn't realize you could add an attachment. I've attached an image of the circuit to this reply and the original post. Just so we're clear, you're suggesting that the voltage across the 3 ohm resistor is equal to the potential at point y?

IMG_2837.jpg

Last edited:
DaleSpam said:
You don't need to determine the currents. All of the currents are already given. Just use Ohms law with the known currents and known resistances to determine any unknown voltages.

PS, I fixed the title.

Absolutely.
It is often very tempting to feel you have to solve the whole circuit when they give you more than minimal information. You can save yourself loads of time by reading questions carefully before plunging in and doing the whole thing. It's smart not bad.

1. What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential energy between two points in an electrical circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and is a key component in understanding the flow of electricity.

2. How do you find the potential difference between two junctions?

To find the potential difference between two junctions, you can use Ohm's Law, which states that voltage (V) is equal to the current (I) multiplied by the resistance (R). Another method is to use a voltmeter, which measures the potential difference directly.

3. What factors affect the potential difference between two junctions?

The potential difference between two junctions can be affected by the current flowing through the circuit, the resistance of the circuit components, and the type of material the circuit is made of. Temperature and length of the circuit can also impact the potential difference.

4. Why is it important to know the potential difference between two junctions?

Knowing the potential difference between two junctions allows us to understand the flow of electricity in a circuit and to calculate the amount of energy being transferred. It is also important for troubleshooting and ensuring the proper functioning of electrical systems.

5. How does potential difference differ from electric potential?

Potential difference is the difference in electric potential energy between two points in a circuit, while electric potential is the electric potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in a circuit. In other words, potential difference is a measure of the change in potential energy, while electric potential is a measure of the potential energy itself.