Common emitter ampl. with emitter resistor degen.

• Thread starter Corneo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistor
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the transconductance of a circuit by ignoring a certain variable and using the definition of transconductance. The conversation goes on to explain the steps taken to calculate the transconductance, including using the impedance reflection rule and simplifying using certain values. Finally, the person asks for confirmation if their calculation is correct.
Corneo
I would like to find the transconductance of such circuit. I am choosing to ignore r_0 for the time being and going with the definition

[tex]G_m = \frac {i_0}{v_i} \bigg |_{v_i = 0}[/tex],

What I did first was notice that [tex]i_0= - g_m v_\pi[/itex]

[tex]v_i[/tex] appears as the top node voltage at [itex]r_\pi[/itex] w.r.t to ground. Then I have a voltage divider and using the impedance reflection rule, I have the relationship [tex]v_\pi = \frac {r_\pi}{r_\pi + (\beta + 1)R_{EA}}v_i[/tex], then [tex]G_m = -\frac {g_m v_\pi r_\pi}{r_\pi + (\beta + 1) R_{EA} } = - \frac {g_m}{1+( \frac{\beta + 1}{r_\pi})R_{EA}}[/tex]
Then I use [tex]r_\pi = \frac {\beta}{g_m}[/tex] and [tex]\beta >> 1[/tex], so [tex]G_m = -\frac {g_m}{1 + g_mR_{EA}}[/tex]. Is this correct?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What is a common emitter amplifier with emitter resistor degeneration?

A common emitter amplifier with emitter resistor degeneration is a type of electronic circuit used to amplify small signals. It consists of a transistor with its emitter connected to a resistor, which helps to stabilize the gain of the amplifier.

2. How does the emitter resistor affect the performance of the amplifier?

The emitter resistor helps to reduce the gain of the amplifier and increase its stability. It also helps to reduce distortion and improve linearity.

3. What is the purpose of using degeneration in a common emitter amplifier?

The main purpose of using degeneration in a common emitter amplifier is to increase the stability of the amplifier and reduce its sensitivity to changes in temperature and transistor parameters.

4. Can the value of the emitter resistor be varied to change the gain of the amplifier?

Yes, the value of the emitter resistor can be varied to change the gain of the amplifier. Increasing the value of the resistor will decrease the gain, while decreasing the value will increase the gain.

5. What are some advantages of using a common emitter amplifier with emitter resistor degeneration?

Some advantages of using a common emitter amplifier with emitter resistor degeneration include increased stability, reduced distortion, improved linearity, and better temperature compensation.