Table of specific heat capacity values?

In summary, the table of specific heat capacity values can usually be found in the appendix of a chemistry textbook. Units of specific heat are in J/kg/K. To get the same answer, you need to use the same unit when working out the specific heat capacity.
gem0688
Hey ya. I need some help with specific heat capacity. :cry: Does anyone know where i can find a table of specific heat capacity values? :redface: Also what are the units of specific heat capacity? do you have to measure the temperature in kelvin or degrees? Plz help, o:) Thanx

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
excellent, thanks alot. will have a read through them.

Hey ya. I need some help with specific heat capacity. :cry: Does anyone know where i can find a table of specific heat capacity values?
A table of specific heat values can usually be found in the appendix of a chemistry textbook.

Or, click http://www.standnes.no/chemix/periodictable/specific-heat-capacity.gif

:redface: Also what are the units of specific heat capacity? do you have to measure the temperature in kelvin or degrees? Plz help, o:) Thanx

The SI units of specific heat are
[tex]\frac{\text{J}}{\text{kg} \cdot \text{K}}[/tex]
(In SI we use Kelvin :wink:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a look at the sites, and one the table it said J/kg/oC
or J/kg/K. Does that meant then that as long as you keep to the same unit, you should get the same answer?

I have just worked out my specific heat capacities using both kelvin and oC and i got different answers. I got 954 J/kg/oC and 3968 J/Kg/K. When looking at the tables aluminium (which i think the metal is) has a specific heat capacity of around 900 J/Kg/K, but my kelvin answer is not near that! any suggestions on what i may be doing wrong?

How have you worked them out? Perhaps you could show an example calculation? If you are looking at change in temperature remember that the size of 1 oC is the same as 1K.

Regards,
~Hoot

Thanx hootenanny. Of course, the change in temperature is the same in both oC and kelvin. Excellent! I was working out the change in temperature and then adding on 273 for kelvin! woops! YAY. Thank you sooooo much. I'm not confused any moure!

1. What is a table of specific heat capacity values?

A table of specific heat capacity values is a chart that lists the specific heat capacity (the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of 1 gram of a substance by 1 degree Celsius) for various substances at different temperatures. It is a useful tool for scientists to reference when conducting experiments or calculations involving heat energy.

2. Why is a table of specific heat capacity values important in science?

A table of specific heat capacity values is important because it allows scientists to accurately predict and calculate the amount of heat energy that is required to change the temperature of a substance. This information is crucial in many areas of science, including thermodynamics, engineering, and chemistry.

3. How are the values in a table of specific heat capacity determined?

The values in a table of specific heat capacity are determined through experiments in which the temperature of a substance is measured as heat energy is added or removed. The change in temperature and amount of heat energy are then used to calculate the specific heat capacity of the substance.

4. Are the values in a table of specific heat capacity constant?

No, the values in a table of specific heat capacity are not always constant. The specific heat capacity of a substance can vary depending on factors such as temperature, pressure, and phase (solid, liquid, or gas). However, the values listed in the table are generally accurate for a given temperature range and can be used as a reference for calculations.

5. Can a table of specific heat capacity values be used for all substances?

No, a table of specific heat capacity values may not be applicable for all substances. The values listed in the table are specific to certain substances and may not be accurate for others. Additionally, the specific heat capacity of a substance can vary depending on its composition and impurities.