What are the recommended chemistry textbooks for preparing for IIT-JEE?

In summary, the conversation is about someone preparing for the IIT-JEE and looking for good texts for chemistry to help them study. Suggestions for books include Physical Chemistry by PW Atkins, Inorganic Chemistry by JD Lee, and Organic Chemistry by Morrison and Boyd. The person also mentions other books they have and the importance of using IIT-JEE specific materials. They also inquire about where to find the books mentioned.
loom91
Hi,

I've just passed the 10th standard board exams from the West Bengal board and am preparing for the IIT-JEE. I'll like to know what good texts for chemistry are that will give me the concepts and problems needed to prepare for IIT-JEE. For those who don't know what IIT-JEE is, it's an engineering entrance exam taken after the 12th standard and is one of the most difficult exams in the world. The syllabus is something close to the 1st/2nd year graduation course in USA. Suggestions I've received include:

1)Physical Chemistry-PW Atkins
2)Physical Chemistry-P Bahadur
3)Inorganic Chemistry-JD Lee
4)Organic Chemistry-Morrison and Boyd

Of these, I need the Physical Chemistry book most urgently because I've found that the book I'm currently using (KL Chugh) does not cover the entire IIT-JEE syllabus. Thanks for your help.

Molu

Physics news on Phys.org
The JEE syllabus is not comparable to a grad level course (though this isn't saying that many grad students will pass the JEE).

I second Atkins and M&B. I have no idea about Bahadur (and I don't remember much about J D Lee).

Last edited:
Some others told me that these books like Atkins and M&B are used at 1st year graduation courses in USA, so it seems to me the course is similar. I've also seen the lecture notes of MITs Physics course 8.01 and they follow exactly the syllabus of JEE. In any case, it seems Atkins is a good choice. Who publishes/distributes the book in India?

I have the following books, and I plan to give the JEE (though I am not completely focussed on it, I have kept many options open).

IIT Chemistry by OP Aggarwal (JPN Publications) (2 parts)
Chemistry for IIT-JEE by Tata-McGraw Hill
Organic Chemistry by Solomon and Ryhle

You could try getting books which are IIT-JEE specific.

Also, get some books which publish the past papers of the JEE as they will give you an idea as to which all questions are usually asked. I have a book which has the past 13 year of papers published.

Ayman

I've heard of OP Agarwal, but I don't want an all-in-one book. I prefer the topic-specific ones as I think they can taken together cover the subject matter much better. Do you know who publishes/distributes Atkins in India?

loom91 said:
Do you know who publishes/distributes Atkins in India?
OUP - http://www.firstandsecond.com/store/books/info/bookinfo.asp?txtSearch=3413273

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. Do you also know where I can get Morrison and Boyd?

(Publ) Prentice Hall, http://www.firstandsecond.com/store/books/info/search.asp?styp=tle%2Cath%2Cpub%2Cisb%2Csub&ath=boyd&tle=Organic+chemistry&sub=chemistry&isb=&pub=&sob=&shop=Search+Now

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again!

1. What is the best chemistry book for preparing for the IIT JEE exam?

The most highly recommended chemistry book for IIT JEE preparation is "Concepts of Organic Chemistry" by O.P. Tandon. It covers all the necessary topics and has a clear and concise explanation of concepts.

2. Is it necessary to buy a separate chemistry book for IIT JEE or are NCERT books enough?

While NCERT books are a good starting point, it is recommended to supplement your preparation with a specialized chemistry book for IIT JEE. These books are specifically designed to cover all the important topics and questions that may appear in the exam.

3. Which chemistry book covers both theory and numerical problems for IIT JEE?

"Physical Chemistry" by P. Bahadur is a popular choice for covering both theory and numerical problems for IIT JEE. It has in-depth explanations of concepts and a wide range of practice questions to help you prepare for the exam.

4. What is the difference between a regular chemistry book and an IIT JEE specific chemistry book?

A regular chemistry book may cover all the necessary topics, but an IIT JEE specific chemistry book is designed to focus on the topics and types of questions that are most likely to appear in the exam. These books also often include solved examples and practice questions tailored to the exam.

5. Can I use multiple chemistry books for IIT JEE preparation?

Yes, you can use multiple chemistry books for IIT JEE preparation. It is recommended to use one book for theory and another for practice questions, or to use multiple books to cover different topics in-depth. However, it is important to not overwhelm yourself with too many resources and to stick to a manageable study plan.