Proof that q^2 is divisible by rm^2

In summary: Ok, so p^{2} = rm^{2}q^{2} and p^{2} is divisible by rm^{2} . So then I have to show that q^{2} is also divisible by rm^{2} . Is m just any positive number?I'm sorry, but that's not how prime factorization works. You can't have a number that's both prime and a product of other prime factors.
courtrigrad
http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Forum/weblog.php?w=564

Could someone help me with 2b?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
the link for me says

"You do not have the permission to view this blog"

I guess you have to register to see it?

Can you type the problem here?

you should be able to see it now. changed the settings

I'm getting a page that says it's your blog, but it also says "total entries: 0" and there's not much tehre besides a calender.

Is it that long of a problem that you couldn't just type it in here?

yeah, now it should work.

Last edited:
Alright. You get to p^2=n*q^2 and then assume that n=2*t? That's completely unjustified.

If n is not a perfect square then you can write it as n=r*m^2 where r has the property that if s is a prime and s divides r then s^2 does not divide r, r>1 obviously as well (you should prove this). Proceed from p^2=n*q^2 and see what happens.

You could also just look at the prime factorization of n if you have unique factorization at this point.

Ok, so [tex] p^{2} = rm^{2}q^{2} [/tex] and [tex] p^{2} [/tex] is divisible by [tex] rm^{2} [/tex]. So then I have to show that [tex] q^{2} [/tex] is also divisible by [tex] rm^{2} [/tex]. Is [tex] m [/tex] just any positive number?

Thanks

courtrigrad said:
Ok, so [tex] p^{2} = rm^{2}q^{2} [/tex] and [tex] p^{2} [/tex] is divisible by [tex] rm^{2} [/tex]. So then I have to show that [tex] q^{2} [/tex] is also divisible by [tex] rm^{2} [/tex]. Is [tex] m [/tex] just any positive number?

Thanks

It's probably easiest at this point to focus on some prime that divides r, say s. Then it will look very much like the usual proof sqrt(2) is irrational.

However we have a little snag. You are looking at p^2=r*(mq)^2 and you don't necessarily have mq and p relatively prime, but you should be able to fix this without much trouble.

What are irrational numbers?

Irrational numbers are numbers that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. They are non-repeating and non-terminating decimals. Examples of irrational numbers include pi (3.14159...) and the square root of 2 (1.41421...).

How are irrational numbers different from rational numbers?

Rational numbers can be expressed as a ratio of two integers, while irrational numbers cannot. Rational numbers also have either a finite or repeating decimal representation, while irrational numbers have an infinite and non-repeating decimal representation.

How can we identify irrational numbers?

Irrational numbers cannot be written as a fraction or ratio, so they are often identified by the presence of a non-repeating and non-terminating decimal representation. Additionally, square roots of non-perfect squares and numbers that do not have a pattern or repetition in their decimal representation are also irrational numbers.

What are some practical applications of irrational numbers?

Irrational numbers are used in various fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to calculate the circumference and area of circles, to model natural phenomena such as waves and vibrations, and to design efficient structures and processes.

Can irrational numbers be approximated?

Yes, irrational numbers can be approximated by rounding them to a certain number of decimal places. However, the exact value of an irrational number cannot be determined as it is infinite and non-repeating.