Early Trancedentals vs Calculus by John Stewart

• Thread starter Checkfate
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between "Calculus" by John Stewart and "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart. There is a suggestion that the content may be similar but presented in a different order. The person asking the question is concerned about getting a watered down version of the material. Another individual mentions using the "Calc ET" book by James Stewart and finding it helpful for other classes as well. Overall, the conversation suggests that both books are good resources for learning calculus.
Checkfate
"Early Trancedentals" vs "Calculus" by John Stewart

Hi, a friend is offering to give me "Calculus" by John Stewart, I just wanted to know whether there was a big difference between this book and "Calculus:Early Transcendentals"(Which I might be able to get)... I know that early Transcendentals introduces e and logarithm's etc sooner, but will I get the same info out of both books? This might not be the right forum for this but I figured that since they are both fairly popular calculus text's, someone here might know. Anyways, thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
John Stewart is a comedian; I think you mean James Stewart.

I was under the impression that it's mostly just a rearrangement of the same content. I've not actually compared them, though.

Aren't they both by James Stewart (or in part by)?

moose said:
Aren't they both by James Stewart (or in part by)?

yes, they are both by james stewart, and likely the content is identical but just presented in a different order.

lol, sorry for the wrong name. Yea, that's what I figured, but wanted to make sure that I am not getting a watered down version or anything silly like that. Thanks a lot guys :).

Last edited:
I have Calc ET by James Stewart. It's a good book. I still use it sometimes, because it has decent explanations. It's much better than my Diff Eq's book and Linear Algebra books were (with respect to what they are supposed to teach AND for the parts that overlap).

I find myself looking back to my ET once in a while for my electrodynamics class

1. What is the difference between Early Transcendentals and Calculus?

Early Transcendentals is a type of calculus textbook that presents the material in a way that emphasizes the fundamental principles and concepts, while Calculus by John Stewart is a more traditional calculus textbook that focuses on the mechanics and techniques of solving problems.

2. Which textbook is better for beginners?

This ultimately depends on the individual's learning style and preferences. Early Transcendentals may be better for those who want a deeper understanding of the concepts, while Calculus by John Stewart may be better for those who prefer a more straightforward approach with plenty of practice problems.

3. Are the topics covered in both textbooks the same?

Yes, both Early Transcendentals and Calculus by John Stewart cover the same topics in calculus, such as limits, derivatives, and integrals. However, the order and presentation of the material may differ.

4. Which textbook is more suitable for advanced calculus students?

Early Transcendentals may be more suitable for advanced calculus students as it delves deeper into the concepts and provides a more rigorous approach. However, Calculus by John Stewart may also be suitable for advanced students who prefer a more concise and practical presentation of the material.

5. Can both textbooks be used for a calculus course?

Yes, both Early Transcendentals and Calculus by John Stewart can be used for a calculus course. It is ultimately up to the instructor to decide which textbook aligns better with their teaching style and the needs of their students.