Is Griffiths a Good Choice for Advancing in Quantum Mechanics Self-Study?

In summary, the conversation discussed the next steps for studying quantum mechanics after completing undergraduate courses. Textbooks such as Sakurai's Modern Quantum Mechanics, Merzbacher's Quantum Mechanics, and Bransden and Joachain's Quantum Mechanics were recommended for self-study. Other suggestions included G. Baym's Lectures on QM and Schiff's Quantum Mechanics. The conversation also mentioned some other textbooks and advised against getting Mandl's book. One person asked about Sakurai's Advanced Quantum Mechanics, to which another person responded with a negative opinion. The quality of Griffiths' textbook was also questioned.
eep
Hi,
I'm getting to the end of my final undergraduate course on quantum mechanics, which basically covered time dependent/independent perturbation theory and the fine structure of atoms. As I still have some time until graduate school, I'd like to continue studying quantum mechanics on my own and I'm not quite sure what's next. I'm guessing quantum field theory or relativistic quantum mechanics is the "next step" and I was wondering what textbooks would be recommended for self-study. The graduate courses use Sakurai's Modern Quantum Mechanics for the first semester, which seems to be the same material covered in my undergrad courses, but probably at a more advanced level, and then Merzbacher's Quantum Mechanics and some other books for reference for the second semester, which looks like it covers creation/annihilation operators and relativistic quantum mechanics.

Physics news on Phys.org
What textbook did you use? Why not cover the stuff (I'm guessing is) in the rest of the book, like scattering theory. You need to know stuff like cross-section for QFT.

Well we're finishing up the semester with scattering theory and superconductivity. We used a combination of Griffiths, and Bransden and Joachain's Quantum Mechanics. B&J seems to cover some of the topics I mentioned - maybe I'll just work through that.

Merzbacher is a standard, well-respected text, but I never found it easy to learn from. I much preferred G. Baym, Lectures on QM, for readability and for a nice way of presenting concepts. Schiff is another standard text, some complain it's too mathematical but the sections I've read have been clear and readable. Maybe it's because I've used it as a supplement rather than primary text. All three will take you through grad level QM.

by the way, there is a book "Advanced Quantum Mechanics" from Sakurai (not Modern QM). does anyone has experience with it?

Dont get Mandl ! Terrible

Is Griffiths good?

1. What is Advanced Quantum Mechanics?

Advanced Quantum Mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. It builds upon the principles of classical mechanics and quantum mechanics to explain the behavior of particles and their interactions with each other.

2. How is Advanced Quantum Mechanics different from regular Quantum Mechanics?

Advanced Quantum Mechanics delves deeper into the complexities of quantum systems, including multi-particle systems and interactions between particles. It also incorporates more advanced mathematical techniques such as group theory and perturbation theory.

3. What are some practical applications of Advanced Quantum Mechanics?

Advanced Quantum Mechanics has been used to develop technologies such as transistors, lasers, and superconductors. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum sensing.

4. Is it necessary to have a background in mathematics to understand Advanced Quantum Mechanics?

Yes, a strong foundation in mathematics is essential for understanding Advanced Quantum Mechanics. This includes knowledge of linear algebra, complex analysis, and differential equations.

5. Are there any current challenges or unanswered questions in Advanced Quantum Mechanics?

Yes, there are still many unanswered questions in Advanced Quantum Mechanics, such as the origin of quantum entanglement and the unification of quantum mechanics with general relativity. Additionally, the development of reliable methods for controlling and manipulating quantum systems is an ongoing challenge.