What is the Inner Product in the Schwarzschild Metric?

The important thing is to understand the steps needed to write the metric in tensor form. In summary, the conversation was about writing the Schwarzschild Metric in spherical coordinates into the form of a metric tensor. The first component of the metric tensor was supposed to be f(r), which can be obtained from the inner product of the metric. However, this can be simplified by directly reading off the components of the metric tensor from the given form of the metric. There is no need for calculus in this process.
parsifal
I need to write Schwarzschild Metric, that is in spherical coordinates, into the form that has the metric tensor.

Now, if the first the term of the metric is:
[tex]\Large (ds)^2=f(r)c^2dt^2-...[/tex] and x0=ct,
then the first component gij of the metric tensor g is supposed to be:
[tex]\Large <\frac{\partial}{\partial x^i} \ | \ \frac{\partial}{\partial x^j}> \ ,i=j=0 \Rightarrow
(\frac{d}{dx^0}f(r)c^2dt^2 | \frac{d}{dx^0}f(r)c^2dt^2)[/tex]

But I do not actually understand that last statement. I guess dx0=cdt, but I do not know how to proceed from that.

So I know this: the component g00 of g is supposed to be f(r), and I know that f(r) should come from the inner product, but I do not understand how. Basically, what does [tex]\Large \frac{d}{dx^0}f(r)c^2dt^2[/tex] mean?

I apologize if this should have been in the introductory section, or in the calculus section.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see why you need to use the inner products. If you've already written down the metric in the form [tex]\Large (ds)^2=g_{ij}dx^idx^j[/tex] then you can simply read off the components of the metric tensor.
i.e. [tex] (ds)^2=f(r)(dx^0)^2 \Rightarrow g_{00}=f(r) [/tex]

I guess I was trying to do it the hard way, for some unclear reason. I didn't understand that the solution you suggested would do.

Thanks for the answer!

I think that f(r) in the schwarzschild metric is:

[tex]f(r)=1-\frac{2m}{r}[/tex]

You don't need to do any calculus.

robousy said:
I think that f(r) in the schwarzschild metric is:

[tex]f(r)=1-\frac{2m}{r}[/tex]

You don't need to do any calculus.

I'm not sure that the actual form of the function was required in the question.

1. What is the Schwarzschild metric?

The Schwarzschild metric is a mathematical equation that describes the geometry of space-time around a non-rotating, spherically symmetric mass. It was first derived by German physicist Karl Schwarzschild in 1916 and is a solution to Einstein's field equations of general relativity.

2. How is the Schwarzschild metric used?

The Schwarzschild metric is used to describe the curvature of space-time around a massive object, such as a black hole or a star. It is also used to calculate important quantities such as the event horizon, gravitational time dilation, and the escape velocity of objects near a massive body.

3. Can the Schwarzschild metric be applied to any type of mass?

Yes, the Schwarzschild metric can be applied to any non-rotating, spherically symmetric mass, regardless of its size or composition. This includes everything from subatomic particles to massive celestial bodies.

4. What are some real-world applications of the Schwarzschild metric?

The Schwarzschild metric has many important applications in astrophysics, including the study of black holes and the behavior of light in their vicinity. It is also used in GPS systems to correct for time dilation effects caused by the Earth's mass.

5. Are there any limitations to the Schwarzschild metric?

While the Schwarzschild metric is a useful tool for understanding the behavior of space-time around a massive object, it has its limitations. For example, it does not take into account the effects of rotation or the presence of other masses. It also breaks down at the singularity of a black hole, where the equations become infinite and cannot be used to accurately describe the physics.