Curious about differences btw masters and doc thesis

In summary, there are several fundamental differences in the nature of the work done in a master's thesis and a doctorate thesis. At the doctorate level, there is typically less help provided by the advisor and the difficulty level is higher due to the student's advanced knowledge and specialization. Additionally, a doctorate thesis must advance the chosen topic significantly, while a master's thesis may be judged subjectively. In some cases, a master's thesis may not require original research, while a doctorate thesis always does. The requirements for a master's degree also vary between countries and universities, with some requiring only coursework and others requiring a full thesis. In some cases, a master's thesis may even be used as a stepping stone to a doctorate
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
What are the fundamental differences in the nature of the work done in a master's thesis and a doctorate thesis?

I'm guessing there is less help provided by the advisor at the doctorate level and also that the "difficulty" level is higher at the doc level because the doctorate student has more knowledge and can work on a more specialized subject (like matt grime's old sig, "high school: advanced algebra, ..., doctorate: tiny portion of a tiny subject in algebra").

Also, I recall a vague memory where I read/heard that at the doc level, you have to make the topic you're working on advance "significantly" for your thesis to be accepted. Whereas, what? In a master's thesis you are only required to work on a topic and present your work, and its value is judged subjectively? What else is different btw the two? (Let's limit the discussion to mathematics and physics thesis.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Masters thesis, you don't have to be right. You can show from your work that what you started out doing turned out to be wrong.

PhD thesis, you have to be right. You come up with an idea and show that it works.

Some places like MIT require that even your masters thesis be correct. At least, that's what I've heard.

quasar987 said:
What are the fundamental differences in the nature of the work done in a master's thesis and a doctorate thesis?

I'm guessing there is less help provided by the advisor at the doctorate level and also that the "difficulty" level is higher at the doc level because the doctorate student has more knowledge and can work on a more specialized subject (like matt grime's old sig, "high school: advanced algebra, ..., doctorate: tiny portion of a tiny subject in algebra").

Also, I recall a vague memory where I read/heard that at the doc level, you have to make the topic you're working on advance "significantly" for your thesis to be accepted. Whereas, what? In a master's thesis you are only required to work on a topic and present your work, and its value is judged subjectively?

What else is different btw the two?

(Let's limit the discussion to mathematics and physics thesis.)

You are at Université de Montréal, if I recall? I am asking because the requirements for a Master degree at a French Canadian university (I went to Laval) versus at an american university (I got my Master degree and PhD at Cornell) are very different.

Also, I know a PhD must be original work.

nrqed said:
You are at Université de Montréal, if I recall? I am asking because the requirements for a Master degree at a French Canadian university (I went to Laval) versus at an american university (I got my Master degree and PhD at Cornell) are very different.

Sorry if I was mistaken or this was too personal a question.

At Cornell, the master degree did not involve an actual thesis (as long as one was going on to the PhD). Basically, once I passed certain required courses and passed some qualifying exams, I was awarded a MSc. At Laval, in Quebec city, people had to present a full thesis fo rthe Master degree. Usually it involved mostly a comprehensive review of a certain specific topic as well as some independent work but if I recall, it was not critical to have produced something really new or conclusive. Basically, someone had to have mastered enough a specialized topic to have been able to reproduce some important results in the field and to have tried something new. The PhD requires to have completed something new that is judged to be significant.

IIRC, not all masters programs require a thesis by the way.

I know in most schools here in Ontario, a M.ASc. (master of applied science) requires some coursework + thesis, while a M.Eng. (master of engineering) requires only coursework. I would assume similar distinctions exist in other masters programs.

nrqed said:
The PhD requires to have completed something new that is judged to be significant.

This is the fundamental difference.

MSc vs. Phd thesis (in Canada and the US)

I did original research for my MSc thesis at UBC and produced a 100-page thesis. I spent almost 1 year day and night working on the thesis research and several papers came out of it. So I would say that it does depend on both the country and the university. In some schools what separates a Master's thesis from a Phd one is a couple of years of more work.

Neil

Definitely depends on country.

My Masters students are doing work of PhD quality -- which will be published (Netherlands). Their theses are typically over 100 pages long.

If they had three years instead of one, they could easily be turned into PhDs.

What would stop any Master's degree student from conducting original research?

Now, how could such a MSc thesis from Canada be leveraged to get into a Phd program in a good US school?

(Most people in the US seem to think that a Master's education consists of merely taking a few graduate level courses and therefore don't put much weight in it when applying for a Phd program. Some even require that the MSc be re-done when continuing on for Phd after an interruption of several years.)

Neil

It's mainly a depth issue I think.

I'm doing my MSc in the UK (by research) and my dissertation is effectively an indepth overview of current literature, with "hints" of novel research areas to investigate (some of wish I have looked into in my dissertation a little).

There is a MASSIVE difference between a taught MSc with a small research project and a dedicated research masters however.

I'm a maths PG rather than physics though. So it might well be different in Physics.

In my area lots of PhD's are around extending a professors research to a specific area where it can not be applied. For example a methods for work on data sets which have missing observations.

Masters by research, IMO, can be very challanging if done in one year. It can take a considerable time to learn the literature and scientific computing proceedures before you are even ready to do any research.

David

Q: What is the main difference between a master's thesis and a doctoral thesis?

The main difference between a master's thesis and a doctoral thesis is the level of depth and originality expected in the research. A master's thesis typically involves a thorough literature review and a well-structured analysis of existing knowledge, while a doctoral thesis is expected to contribute new knowledge to the field through original research.

Q: How long does it typically take to complete a master's thesis compared to a doctoral thesis?

The time it takes to complete a master's thesis and a doctoral thesis can vary significantly. A master's thesis usually takes 1-2 years to complete, while a doctoral thesis can take 3-6 years or more. This is because a doctoral thesis requires a higher level of research and analysis, as well as potential fieldwork or experiments.

Q: Are there any differences in the types of research methods used for a master's thesis and a doctoral thesis?

The research methods used for a master's thesis and a doctoral thesis can vary, depending on the specific field of study and research topic. Generally, a master's thesis may involve more literature-based research and analysis, while a doctoral thesis may require more original research methods such as surveys, experiments, or case studies.

Q: Do master's and doctoral theses have different requirements for formatting and structure?

Yes, there can be differences in the formatting and structure requirements for master's and doctoral theses. Master's theses may follow a more standardized format, while doctoral theses may have more flexibility in their structure, depending on the research topic and methodology. It's important to carefully review the specific requirements from your institution or department when writing either type of thesis.

Q: Can a master's thesis be used as a starting point for a doctoral thesis?

Yes, a master's thesis can serve as a foundation for a doctoral thesis, especially if the research topic and methodology are related. However, a doctoral thesis should still contribute original research and build upon the findings of the master's thesis, rather than simply replicating the same research.