How to Numerically Solve for a Fourth Force to Achieve a Specific Resultant?

In summary, the conversation is about a 1st year engineering mechanics problem where the person is trying to determine a fourth force to make the resultant of all four forces vertical and with a magnitude of 750 N. They have already solved it graphically and are now trying to figure out how to do it numerically using trigonometry. They eventually realize that they can use the x and y components of the previous resultant force to solve for the new force.
twofish

Homework Statement

First of all I will have to apologize if this in in the wrong forum. It is a 1st year engineering mechanics problem.

I am having an issue solving a secondary part of a question.
The first part of the question has asked me to both graphically and numerically determine a resultant of three forces acting on an object, with magnitude and angles for all given. This was straightforward.
I am now being asked to determine a fourth Force such that the resultant R of all the four forces will be vertical (90 degrees) and has a magnitude of 750 N.
I have done this question graphically, but am wondering how I go about doing it numerically ..just buy using trig etc.
thanks much,

The Attempt at a Solution

i have thus far determined that my previous resultant force was 821 N at 87 degrees North of East.
I have therefore now said that my resultant is going to have to = 750 N so
750 = (sum Fx + sum Fy)^(1/2).
I am just unsure how I would go about getting two unkowns from this methodology, the X component and Y component of the unkown vector..

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the x - component of your 821N force ? Add to that and the x-component of your new force and you get 0. solve for the x-component of the new force.

same way, solve for the y-component.

Well the last resultant at a magnitude of 821N had 50.0007N (X-component) and 819.181N (Y component). Direction was 86.5 degrees N of E
Now I need to add a Force such the new resultant will be 750N and vertical (or 90 degrees).
I guess what I am saying is, I don't know how to get the X or Y component for my new force, becuase I don't know what it will be.

50.0007N + Fx = 0, solve for Fx

819.181N + Fy = 750, solve for Fy.

of course.. how silly of me, I was trying to make a triangle and use law of cosines.. thanks much!

1. What is mechanics?

Mechanics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion and behavior of physical systems under the influence of forces. It encompasses the study of both objects at rest and in motion.

2. What is a vector?

A vector is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction of the vector.

3. How do you solve a vector problem?

To solve a vector problem, you first need to identify all the given information, including the magnitude and direction of the vectors involved. Then, you can use vector addition and subtraction to determine the resultant vector and its magnitude and direction.

4. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that only has magnitude, whereas a vector has both magnitude and direction. Examples of scalars include speed and temperature, while examples of vectors include displacement and velocity.

5. How are forces and vectors related?

Forces are represented by vectors, with the direction of the vector indicating the direction of the force and the magnitude of the vector representing the strength of the force. This allows us to use vector addition and subtraction to determine the net force acting on an object.