Tracking or tagging a single atom in a gas

In summary, it should be possible to track a single atom in a gas using different isotopes, and the wave nature of matter disappears when the individual ways are distinguishable.
learningphysics
Homework Helper
Is there currently any way to tag or track a single atom in a gas of the same material?What I mean is there any distinguishing feature of a single atom among the others in a gas, that can be detected... hope I'm making sense.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you can "tag" atoms by simply using different isotopes. This is used for example in PET scans (using e.g. oxygen 15, "normal oxygen" being oxygen 16).
At least in principle it should therefore be possible to track a single atom (using e.g. fluoresence, assuming the different isotopes have slightly shifted energy levels) in a gas.

f95toli said:
Well, you can "tag" atoms by simply using different isotopes. This is used for example in PET scans (using e.g. oxygen 15, "normal oxygen" being oxygen 16).
At least in principle it should therefore be possible to track a single atom (using e.g. fluoresence, assuming the different isotopes have slightly shifted energy levels) in a gas.

Thanks f95toli. Is there any technique by which atoms of exactly the same kind can be tracked... not using isotopes...

What I'm getting at is... would it be possible to number the different atoms in a gas... is there perhaps some quantum level property that can be given to one atom that distinguishes it from the rest.

learningphysics said:
Thanks f95toli. Is there any technique by which atoms of exactly the same kind can be tracked... not using isotopes...

What I'm getting at is... would it be possible to number the different atoms in a gas... is there perhaps some quantum level property that can be given to one atom that distinguishes it from the rest.

possibly it's spin? I'm not sure how you would go about tracking it though

i don't think in the language of quantum mechanics you can do this

learningphysics said:

Probably not for very long. Sure, you could prepare one molecule in a certain state different from all the rest, but that state would probably decohere quickly.

Are atomic quanta distinguishable?

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/abstract/75504948/ABSTRACT?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

One of the cornerstones of quantum physics is the wave nature of matter. It explains experimentally observed effects like interference and diffraction, occurring when an object moves from one place to another along several indistinguishable ways simultaneously. The wave nature disappears when the individual ways are distinguishable. In this case, the particle nature of the object becomes visible. To determine the particle nature quantitatively, the way of the object has to be measured. Here, large progress has been made recently with new techniques, enabling one to investigate single moving atoms in a controlled manner.

Thanks to everyone for replying.

1. How can a single atom be tracked or tagged in a gas?

A single atom can be tracked or tagged in a gas using specialized techniques such as laser spectroscopy, fluorescence imaging, and ion trap technology. These techniques allow for precise control and detection of a single atom within a gas sample.

2. Why is tracking or tagging a single atom in a gas important?

Tracking or tagging a single atom in a gas is important for studying the behavior and properties of individual atoms in a gas sample. This can provide valuable insights into the fundamental laws of physics and aid in the development of new technologies.

3. What are the challenges of tracking or tagging a single atom in a gas?

The main challenge of tracking or tagging a single atom in a gas is the extremely small size of the atom and the high speed at which it moves. This requires highly sensitive and precise detection methods to accurately track its position and movement.

4. Can tagging a single atom in a gas have practical applications?

Yes, tagging a single atom in a gas has practical applications in fields such as quantum computing, atomic clocks, and precision measurements. It also allows for precise control and manipulation of individual atoms, which can be useful in nanotechnology and materials science.

5. Are there any ethical concerns surrounding tracking or tagging a single atom in a gas?

There are no ethical concerns specifically related to tracking or tagging a single atom in a gas. However, the use of this technology should always be in accordance with ethical and legal guidelines, especially when it comes to potential applications in sensitive areas such as surveillance or military operations.