Chemistry Exam: Least do I know

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's confusion with determining oxidation numbers and balancing redox reactions in chemistry. The student asks for tips and clarification on the importance of certain concepts, such as Balmer's series and de Broglie's theory. The conversation also touches on the different oxidation states of elements like oxygen and hydrogen and the rules for determining them.
Haunted Physt
Well, well, well, I am currently going to have Chemistry exams in a few days. I have something of a lot portion to study. I really get confused with the determination of Oxidation No. despite the methods shown in textbook! I have a chapter relating to basics of Structure of an Atom. Now in this I get confused with the various relations and equations. Is that Balmer's series, de Broglie's theory, everything that important for the current chemistry?

Somebody, at the moment, please give me some tips to Oxidation Number determination. Even the thing of balancing the redox reactions confuses me to some extent. There are two methods in the textbook we have: Ion-electron method and Half-reaction method. Some some, more easier method?

Physics news on Phys.org
ONE atom in an ion will change in its 'electronic state' (may need better terminology), but all the other atoms which may be part of this ion will have each of their predictable electronic states.. like Oxygen will almost always be -2. You find the electronic state by accounting for the electronic states of each atom in the ion; the sum of these values must give the charge of the ion.

Example Permanganate: MnO4 (-1)
if u=uknown charge on Mn, then
-1 = 4*(-2) + u
Find value of u.

If permanganate reacts, then it will probably be the oxidizing agent and something else must be the reducing agent. the Mn will undergo a half reaction and go into a reduced form; the Mn will need to gain some electrons while the other reactant will need to donate electrons.

But isn't it like Oxygen has various other oxidation state too? Its always easy to find an oxidation number with oxygen or hydrogen in it, right? But how do we come to know what Oxygen will have from -1,-2, or +1, +2? Hydrogen too accounts for -1 and +1 ... when Hydrogen reacts with a metal, it probably is a negative oxidation state, but how do you determine whether that number for oxygen is 2 or 1?

There are the oxidation rules and it depends on the textbook that you use. They go in order and if hydrogen is around, hydrogen is labelled first as +1. Then you determine oxygen's oxid #. Ex. If you have H2O, you label H as +1 and then find out O as -2 by the method symbolipoint said: H2O = 0 (because its a neutral molecule)
2H + O = 0
2(1) + O = 0
O = -2
Ex H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide)
2H + 2O = 0
2(1) + 2O = 0
O = -1

1. What topics should I focus on when studying for a Chemistry exam?

When studying for a Chemistry exam, it is important to focus on understanding key concepts and principles rather than just memorizing facts. Topics that are commonly covered in Chemistry exams include atomic structure, chemical bonding, molar calculations, gas laws, and acid-base reactions.

2. How can I prepare for a Chemistry exam?

To prepare for a Chemistry exam, it is recommended to review class notes, textbook readings, and any practice problems provided by the instructor. It can also be helpful to create flashcards for key concepts and practice problems from previous exams.

3. What types of questions can I expect on a Chemistry exam?

Chemistry exams often include a mix of multiple choice, short answer, and problem-solving questions. Some questions may require you to draw diagrams or write out chemical equations, while others may test your understanding of concepts through application problems.

4. How can I improve my performance on Chemistry exams?

To improve your performance on Chemistry exams, it is important to actively engage with the material throughout the semester. This can include attending lectures, participating in class discussions, and completing practice problems. It can also be helpful to seek assistance from the instructor or a tutor if you are struggling with certain concepts.

5. Are there any resources available to help me study for a Chemistry exam?

Yes, there are many resources available to help you study for a Chemistry exam. These can include study guides, practice problems, online tutorials, and study groups. Your instructor may also provide review materials or hold review sessions before the exam. Additionally, there are many online resources and apps that offer interactive study tools and quizzes for Chemistry topics.