Solved: Synchronous Orbit Altitude of Mercury in km

In summary, a synchronous orbit is when a satellite orbits over a fixed point on a rotating planet, with a period equal to the planet's rotational period. To find the altitude of this orbit, the equation T^2 = ((4pi^2)/(GM))r^3 can be used, where T is the rotational period of the planet, G is the universal gravitational constant, M is the mass of the planet, and r is the altitude of the orbit. Consistent units must be used in order to solve for r.
shade585
[SOLVED] synchronous orbit

Homework Statement

A orbiting satellite stays over a certain spot on the equator of (rotating) Mercury. What is the altitude of the orbit (called a "synchronous orbit")?

The answer needs to be in km.

Homework Equations

I know the synchronous orbit is where the satellite has a period equal to the average roational period of the planet.

T^2 = ((4pi^2)/(GM))r^3

T would be the rotational period of Mercury.

G is the gravitational constant.

M would be mercury's mass.

I would be solving for r.

The Attempt at a Solution

So far i have been plugging in numbers but nothing has been working. Should T be in years, days, hours, or seconds?

Physics news on Phys.org
The units for the rotation period must agree with the units you use for G.

Equation

The last I checked. the mass term is not in the equation. I'll answer other questions on my website listed in my profile

Mass is involved. Conceptually, greater mass means a tighter orbit. You can also check with dimensional analysis. The universal gravitational constant has units L3/M/T2. The right hand side of the equation in the original post, [itex]((4\pi^2)/(GM))r^3[/itex] has units T2, which agrees with the left-hand side.

To shade585:
You know you have to solve [itex]T^2 = ((4\pi^2)/(GM))r^3[/itex] for [itex]r[/itex]. How did you go about doing this? What did you use for the period of Mercury?

If I am understanding synchronous orbit correctly I am using the average rotational period of mercury which is 58.7 days.

(((T^2)(GM))/4pi^2))^1/3 = r I know i need to get unitsof meters in the end but can't figure out what to use for T in order to end up with just those units.

You have to use consistent units. For example, if you use 7.6159e-05 furlong3/fortnight2/stone as the value for G, you had better express the mass of Mercury in stones and its period in fortnights. The result will be in furlongs. Suppose instead you use the standard value for G, 6.673e-11 m3/s2/kg. What units do you think you need to use for the period in this case?

seconds?

The kg would be divided out. G(T) would leave m^3

Ok thanks for your help I figured it out.

You're welcome.

1. What is a synchronous orbit?

A synchronous orbit is when the orbital period of an object around a larger body matches the rotational period of the larger body, resulting in the object appearing to stay in a fixed position in the sky when observed from the surface of the larger body.

2. Why is it important to determine the synchronous orbit altitude of Mercury?

Determining the synchronous orbit altitude of Mercury is important because it allows us to understand the gravitational forces at play and the overall dynamics of the planet's orbit. It also helps us to accurately plan and execute space missions to Mercury.

3. How is the synchronous orbit altitude of Mercury calculated?

The synchronous orbit altitude of Mercury is calculated using the formula: altitude = (radius of Mercury * gravitational constant * mass of Mercury) / (2 * orbital period of Mercury)^2. This formula takes into account the mass and size of Mercury, as well as the gravitational forces acting on the planet.

4. What is the current synchronous orbit altitude of Mercury?

The current synchronous orbit altitude of Mercury is approximately 15,300 km above the planet's surface. This may vary slightly due to fluctuations in the planet's orbit and gravitational forces.

5. How does the synchronous orbit altitude of Mercury compare to other planets in our solar system?

The synchronous orbit altitude of Mercury is relatively low compared to other planets in our solar system. For example, the synchronous orbit altitude of Earth is around 35,786 km, while the synchronous orbit altitude of Mars is around 17,000 km. This is due to Mercury's smaller size and mass, resulting in weaker gravitational forces.