Find the highest power of 2 dividing n

• Thread starter whodsow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, according to the rule of the highest power of 2, if 2^{k}|n!, k is the greatest value, then f(n) = 2^{k}-1.
whodsow
Hi.
I have a question.
I know the rule of the hightest power of 2 dividing n!, the highest power means if [tex]2^{k}|n![/tex], k is the greatest value. For example,
n the hightest power of 2 dividing n!
--------------------------------------
1 0
2 1
3 1
4 3
5 3
6 4
7 4
8 7
9 7
10 8
11 8
12 10
13 10
14 11
15 11
16 15
17 15
18 16
19 16
20 18
21 18
22 19
23 19
24 22
25 22
26 23
27 23
28 25
29 25
30 26
31 26
32 31
33 31

Let f(n) is the highest power of 2 dividing n!, I think if [tex]2^{k}=n[/tex], then [tex]f(n) = 2^{k}-1[/tex], else let [tex]n=2^{k_{1}}+2^{k_{2}}+...++2^{k_{r}}[/tex], then [tex]f(n)=f(2^{k_{1}})+f(2^{k_{2}})+...+f(2^{k_{r}})=2^{k_{1}}-1+2^{k_{2}}-1+...+2^{k_{r}}-1[/tex], more verification of n shows my rule is correct, but I can't prove that.
Help me to prove my rule. thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Split it into subproblems. Showing that (2^k)! is divisible by 2^(2^k - 1) but not by 2^(2^k) can be done by induction, starting with a base case of 1! being divisible by 1 but not by 2. For the inductive step, use that n! has a factor of 2 every 2, a factor of 4 every four, and so on, up to a factor of 2^k every 2^k (i.e. exactly once). This is a geometric series.

thank your hint, CRGreathouse.
I will try to prove it.

whodsow said:
Hi.
I have a question.

Let f(n) is the highest power of 2 dividing n!, I think if [tex]2^{k}=n[/tex], then [tex]f(n) = 2^{k}-1[/tex], else let [tex]n=2^{k_{1}}+2^{k_{2}}+...++2^{k_{r}}[/tex], then [tex]f(n)=f(2^{k_{1}})+f(2^{k_{2}})+...+f(2^{k_{r}})=2^{k_{1}}-1+2^{k_{2}}-1+...+2^{k_{r}}-1[/tex], more verification of n shows my rule is correct, but I can't prove that.
Help me to prove my rule. thanks.
Did you try to corrolate your rule with the following
[tex] f(n) = \sum_{i = 1}^{b} \Left[ \frac{n}{2^i}\Right] [/tex]
where the brackets stand for the foor function, and b is the highest power of 2 less than or equal to n

ramsey2879 said:
Did you try to corrolate your rule with the following
[tex] f(n) = \sum_{i = 1}^{b} \Left[ \frac{n}{2^i}\Right] [/tex]
where the brackets stand for the foor function, and b is the highest power of 2 less than or equal to n

oh, thank you.
I am a beginner, just starting to learn number theorem, I did not know this formulation until you told me.

What does it mean to "find the highest power of 2 dividing n"?

"Find the highest power of 2 dividing n" is a mathematical problem that involves determining the largest exponent of 2 that can evenly divide a given number n.

Why is finding the highest power of 2 dividing n important?

This problem is important in various fields of science and technology, such as computer science, electrical engineering, and cryptography. It helps in optimizing algorithms and designing efficient systems.

How can I find the highest power of 2 dividing n?

There are various methods for solving this problem, such as using prime factorization, logarithms, or bitwise operations. The most efficient method depends on the size and type of the number n.

What is the significance of the highest power of 2 dividing n?

The highest power of 2 dividing n is significant because it represents the largest power of 2 that is a factor of n. This information can be used to determine the binary representation of n and to perform other calculations involving powers of 2.

Can the highest power of 2 dividing n be greater than n?

No, the highest power of 2 dividing n cannot be greater than n. This is because any power of 2 will always be smaller than the number itself. The highest power of 2 dividing n will be equal to n only if n is a power of 2 itself.