I have a problem with the Harmonic Series, please School me

In summary, the conversation discusses the Harmonic series and the question of whether it diverges or not. The speaker accepts the assertion that it diverges, but is confused by the fact that the general term 1/k is never zero. They also mention the concept of infinity and how it relates to adding 1/infinty to the sum. The others in the conversation clarify that while 1/k approaches zero, it is never exactly zero and thus will always contribute to the sum. They also mention the Integral Test for infinite series as a way to explain why certain infinite sums converge while others do not.
Saladsamurai
Looking at the Harmonic series [tex]\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{k}[/tex]
I at first justed accepted my teachers assertion that it diverges. I still do, not to mention that I trust my textbook (and Nicole Oresme!).

However in seems counterintuitive to me (and since it is math, I guess that is okay) .

It just seems that by virtue of the fact that [tex] \lim_{\k\rightarrow \infty}\frac{1}{k}=0[/tex] that at some point we would be adding zero to the sum.

Someone please help to clarify this.

Thanks,
Casey

p.s. I don't know why the "k" is not showing up under the limit sign:(

Physics news on Phys.org
At what point would you be adding zero to the sum? 1/k is never zero.

Here's one reasoning:

1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + 1/4 + 1/5 + 1/6 + 1/7 + 1/8 + ...

Can be grouped as follows:

1 + 1/2 + (1/3 + 1/4) + (1/5 + 1/6 + 1/7 + 1/8) + (1/9 + 1/10 + ... + 1/15 + 1/16) + ...

Notice that

1/3 + 1/4 > 1/4 + 1/4 = 2(1/4) = 1/2

1/5 + 1/6 + 1/7 + 1/8 > 1/8 + 1/8 + 1/8 + 1/8 = 4(1/8) = 1/2

1/9 + 1/10 + ... + 1/15 + 1/16 > 1/16 + 1/16 + ... + 1/16 + 1/16 = 8(1/16) = 1/2

You can do this indefinitely, so that the harmonic series is always bigger than

[tex]1 + \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{2}[/tex]

which clearly diverges.

Dick said:
At what point would you be adding zero to the sum? 1/k is never zero.

That is my problem, I can't say when, just like you can't. But if the upper "bound" is infinity that means that at some point you have the "term 1/infinty"
and that equals zero.

I know that my reasoning is flawed in that it is impossile to determine where that occurs...but it seems that it does.

Casey

No, infinity is not a number. It's a concept. The fraction 1/k is NEVER zero, because no value of k will make that fraction 0. 1/k approaches 0, or we say that

[tex]\lim_{k\to \infty} \frac{1}{k} = 0 [/tex]

but again, no value of k will produce 1/k = 0. So "intuitively," you are indeed adding on terms that are extremely small. However, they are still "big enough" so as to contribute a "large amount" when you have "enough" of them. Just look at the explanation I gave earlier on how "enough" of these small values can be combined so as to contribute a significant amount (1/2).

Saladsamurai said:
That is my problem, I can't say when, just like you can't. But if the upper "bound" is infinity that means that at some point you have the "term 1/infinty"
and that equals zero.

I know that my reasoning is flawed in that it is impossile to determine where that occurs...but it seems that it does.

Casey

Well, it just doesn't. Zero is the best number to describe the behavior of 1/k for large k. But 1/k is never exactly zero. You KNOW that. Now try to digest it.

Have you dealt with integrals as the infinite limit of Riemann sums? There is more that could be said on this topic because the following question is left begging. The general term 1/k is never zero, so you are always adding something to the series. Why is it then that the infinite sum of terms 1/k diverges, and the infinite sum of terms, say, 1/(k^0.5) diverges, but the infinite sum of terms, say, 1/(k^2) converges? Something called the Integral Test for infinite series helps deal with this. [As it turns out, the harmonic series is the "threshold case" for infinite sums of terms (1/k^p)... The point is that there is a sort of "rate" at which additional terms approaching zero can be added to still lead to a finite sum; excedding that "rate" produces a sum which will not be finite!]

Last edited:

What is the Harmonic Series?

The Harmonic Series is a mathematical series of numbers that starts with 1 and adds the reciprocal of each consecutive integer. The formula for the Harmonic Series is 1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + 1/4 + ...

Why is the Harmonic Series important?

The Harmonic Series is important because it has important applications in various fields of mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is also used to study the convergence and divergence of infinite series.

What is the problem with the Harmonic Series?

The problem with the Harmonic Series is that it diverges, meaning that the sum of the series increases without bound. This means that the series does not have a finite sum and it is not possible to find a value that the series converges to.

How can the Harmonic Series be used in real life?

The Harmonic Series has many applications in real life, such as in the study of electrical circuits, sound and acoustics, and fluid dynamics. It is also used in the analysis of algorithms and in the study of prime numbers.

What are some strategies for dealing with the divergence of the Harmonic Series?

There are a few strategies for dealing with the divergence of the Harmonic Series. One approach is to use a method called partial summation, which involves rearranging the terms of the series to find a finite sum. Another strategy is to use a comparison test to compare the Harmonic Series to another series with a known sum. Additionally, the Harmonic Series can be used to study the behavior of other series that converge or diverge.