Canceling out low frequencies noises (subwoolfers)

• Thread starter ian_durrant
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frequencies
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem of dealing with loud noise from a neighbor's subwoofer. Suggestions for solving the problem include using soundproofing foam, creating an array of speakers to cancel out the noise, or using an elliptical reflector dish. However, these solutions are deemed impractical and it is suggested to either talk to the neighbor or decrease the air pressure in the room. More effective solutions involve using staggered studs and fiberglass insulation to decouple the walls and reduce noise transmission.
ian_durrant
Here's an interesting problem that might be best solved by physics:

Lets say your neighbors insist on using a loud subwoolfer late at night, it travels through your appartment walls and keeps you up all night. What would be a good way to cancel out the noise, other than earphones?

Physics news on Phys.org
The police?

You could try soundproofing foam, I don't see what else you could do if it's going through your walls.

If you're thinking of cancellation, it is quite impractical. You would have to do it at the source (he'd notice) or at your ears (if you're willing to wear headphones, that already solves the problems. Most localities (and leases) have noise rules. Check that out.

TVP45 said:
If you're thinking of cancellation, it is quite impractical. You would have to do it at the source (he'd notice) or at your ears (if you're willing to wear headphones, that already solves the problems. Most localities (and leases) have noise rules. Check that out.

Or it could be done with an array of speakers along the wall.

John Creighto said:
Or it could be done with an array of speakers along the wall.

No, that won't work. All this was tried in the metal slitting industries decades ago. It really is impractical.

haha i knew someone would bring up the police

so there doesn't really sound like much that can be done besides soundproofing my walls.

are there any type of smaller headphones that do noise cancellation?

I would say your best bet is more revenge, an elliptical reflector dish. Take note of the xkcd comic that follows (http://www.xkcd.com/316/) Use the dish and the focal point to both redirect their sound and also after they fall asleep use your own sub too bass them back away. If your landlord, or neighbors complain, well then you may need another solution.

TVP45 said:
No, that won't work. All this was tried in the metal slitting industries decades ago. It really is impractical.

If the speakers cover every wall and ceiling then should in theory they be able to absorb the sound energy. I didn´t say it was practical.

Mthees08 said:
I would say your best bet is more revenge, an elliptical reflector dish. Take note of the xkcd comic that follows (http://www.xkcd.com/316/) Use the dish and the focal point to both redirect their sound and also after they fall asleep use your own sub too bass them back away. If your landlord, or neighbors complain, well then you may need another solution.

That sounds by the far the most practical way to solve this delema. haha thanks.

TVP45 said:

link to some information?

ice109 said:
link to some information?

I'll have to do some digging. The guy I knew who worked on that is long dead.

You could always just go talk to the guy and tell him it's bothering you. That's better than calling the police over it.

Other than that, you could decrease the air pressure in the room you are in :D

When I was a quality-control inspector for commercial construction, a common way to reduce sound transmission was to use 2x6 plates and headers, and stagger the 2x4 studs so that the 2x4s holding the sheet-rock in one room were not coupled to the 2x4s holding the sheet rock in the adjoining room. Simply thread fiberglass insulation horizontally back and forth between the staggered studs to help reduce noise. Decoupling the sheet-rock walls was key, especially with lower frequencies. The walls were still coupled somewhat at the floor and ceiling, but excursion of the sheet-rock was very limited, so that low-frequency sounds were heavily attenuated. I learned this technique from the owner of a motel who had rooms adjoining a very popular dance-hall with live music every Friday and Saturday night.

What is the purpose of canceling out low frequency noises from subwoofers?

The purpose of canceling out low frequency noises from subwoofers is to improve the overall sound quality of audio systems. Low frequency noises can create muddiness and distortion in the sound, making it difficult to hear the intended audio. By canceling out these low frequencies, the sound becomes clearer and more defined.

How do subwoofers cancel out low frequency noises?

Subwoofers use a technique called "active noise cancellation" to cancel out low frequency noises. This involves using a microphone to pick up the unwanted noise and then creating an opposite sound wave to cancel it out. This results in a quieter and cleaner sound without compromising the overall volume.

Can all subwoofers cancel out low frequency noises?

No, not all subwoofers have the capability to cancel out low frequency noises. This feature is typically found in higher-end subwoofers that have advanced audio processing technology. Cheaper or older subwoofers may not have this feature and will not be able to cancel out low frequency noises.

Are there any downsides to canceling out low frequency noises from subwoofers?

While canceling out low frequency noises can improve sound quality, it can also reduce the overall bass impact of the audio. This can be a downside for some listeners who prefer a stronger bass presence. Additionally, not all low frequency noises can be canceled out, so some may still be audible.

Is it possible to cancel out low frequency noises without a subwoofer?

Yes, it is possible to cancel out low frequency noises without a subwoofer. This can be achieved through the use of equalizers and audio filters. However, subwoofers are designed specifically for this purpose and are typically more effective at canceling out low frequency noises compared to other equipment.