Calculating Christoffel symbols for a spherical shell in 2-space

In summary, when given a spherical shell in 2-space of radius \rho with the line element ds^{2} = g_{ab} dx^{a}dx^{b} = \rho^2 d \theta^{2} + \rho^2 sin^2(\theta) d \phi^2, the covariant metric can be easily inverted to get g^{ab} = \left(\begin{array}{cc} \rho^{-2} & 0 \\ 0 & \rho^{-2} sin^{-2}(\theta) \end{array}\right). The Christoffel symbols can then be calculated using the formula \Gamma^c_{ab} = \frac{1}{
TheMan112
Hello everybody, this is my first post here.

I need help with a task in General Relativity.

-------
Given we have a spherical shell in 2-space of radius [tex]\rho[/tex]. With the line element:

[tex]ds^{2} = g_{ab} dx^{a}dx^{b} = \rho d \theta^{2} + \rho^2 sin^2(\theta) d \phi^2[/tex]

[tex](a,b \in 1,2)[/tex]

Then calculate the following:

[tex]g^{ab}, \Gamma^c_{ab}, R^1_{212}, R^2_{121}, R_{11}, R_{22}, R[/tex]
-------

To compute the metric, I'm immediately considering the Schwarzschild solution since this is a spherically symmetric problem.

The covariant metric will then be:

[tex]g_{ab} = diag(e^v, -e^\lambda, -\rho^2, -\rho^2 sin^2 \theta)[/tex]

But since:

[tex]e^v dt^2 = 0[/tex] and [tex]e^\lambda d \rho^2 = 0[/tex]

Then I'm not sure what to do. However, since:

[tex](a,b \in 1,2)[/tex]

Can I then set the following?

[tex]g_{ab} = diag(-\rho^2, -\rho^2 sin^2 \theta)[/tex]

If not, then how should I attack the problem?

----

Moreover, I'm not sure how to calculate the Christoffel symbol from the metric, could anyone give me an example how to perform the calculation in my case based on this equation:

[tex]\Gamma^c_{ab} = \frac{1}{2} g^{cl} (g_{la,b} + g_{lb,a} - g_{ab,l})[/tex]

Thanks in advance.

/TheMan112

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
TheMan112 said:
To compute the metric, I'm immediately considering the Schwarzschild solution since this is a spherically symmetric problem.

I'm not sure what you mean here. It's given that
[tex]g_{ab} dx^{a}dx^{b} = \rho d \theta^{2} + \rho^2 sin^2 d \phi^2[/tex]
with [itex]x^1 = \theta, x^2 = \phi[/itex], right?
So can't you just read of the [itex]g_{ab}[/itex]? Then you will see that it is extremely easily invertible and you can write down [itex]g^{ab}[/itex] right away. Also applying the formula for getting the Christoffel symbols you quoted is not hard then.

TheMan112 said:
Hello everybody, this is my first post here.

I need help with a task in General Relativity.

-------
Given we have a spherical shell in 2-space of radius [tex]\rho[/tex]. With the line element:

[tex]ds^{2} = g_{ab} dx^{a}dx^{b} = \rho d \theta^{2} + \rho^2 sin^2 d \phi^2[/tex]
Did you mean
[tex]ds^{2} = g_{ab} dx^{a}dx^{b} = \rho d \theta^{2} + \rho^2 sin^2(\phi) d \phi^2[/tex]
Then by definition the metric tensor is
[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc} \rho & 0 \\ 0 & \rho^2 sin^2(\phi) \end{array}\right)[/tex]

HallsofIvy said:
Did you mean
[tex]ds^{2} = g_{ab} dx^{a}dx^{b} = \rho d \theta^{2} + \rho^2 sin^2(\phi) d \phi^2[/tex]
Then by definition the metric tensor is
[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc} \rho & 0 \\ 0 & \rho^2 sin^2(\phi) \end{array}\right)[/tex]

Ah, sorry, no, there should be a theta there:

[tex]ds^{2} = g_{ab} dx^{a}dx^{b} = \rho^2 d \theta^{2} + \rho^2 sin^2(\theta) d \phi^2[/tex]

Ok, so [tex]g_{12}= 0[/tex] and [tex]g_{21}=0[/tex] because they are combinations of [tex]d \theta^{2}[/tex] and [tex]d \phi^2[/tex] (and there are no such defining the line element). Have I understood right?

[tex]g_{ab} = \left( \begin{array}{cc} \rho^2 & 0 \\ 0 & \rho^2 sin^2(\theta) \end{array} \right)[/tex]

Last edited:
CompuChip said:
I'm not sure what you mean here. It's given that
[tex]g_{ab} dx^{a}dx^{b} = \rho d \theta^{2} + \rho^2 sin^2 d \phi^2[/tex]
with [itex]x^1 = \theta, x^2 = \phi[/itex], right?
So can't you just read of the [itex]g_{ab}[/itex]? Then you will see that it is extremely easily invertible and you can write down [itex]g^{ab}[/itex] right away. Also applying the formula for getting the Christoffel symbols you quoted is not hard then.

Yeah... about that. Now that I've got the correct (I hope) metric I need to calculate the Christoffel symbols.

[tex]\Gamma^c_{ab} = \frac{1}{2} g^{cl} (g_{la,b} + g_{lb,a} - g_{ab,l}) = \frac{1}{2} \left( \begin{array}{cc} \rho^{-2} & 0 \\ 0 & \rho^{-2} sin^{-2}(\theta) \end{array} \right) \left( \left( \begin{array}{cc} 2 \rho & 0 \\ 0 & 2 \rho sin^{2}(\theta) \end{array} \right) + \left( \begin{array}{cc} 0 & 0 \\ 0 & \rho^2 sin(2 \theta) \end{array} \right) - 0 \right) = ... = \frac{1}{2} \left( \begin{array}{cc} 2 \rho^{-1} & 0 \\ 0 & 2 \rho^{-1} + 2 cot(\theta) \end{array} \right) \right) [/tex]

I'm not all used to working with tensors, the method I use above is to differentiate [tex]g_{ab}[/tex] with respect to [tex]\rho, \theta[/tex] and [tex]\phi[/tex] respectively. Is this right?

For the line element

rho^2*(d[theta]^2 + sin(theta)^2*d[phi]^2);

an automated calculation gets two non-zero Christoffel symbols:

[tex]
\Gamma^\theta{}_{\phi\phi} = -\sin \theta \cos \theta
[/tex]
[tex]
\Gamma^\phi{}_{\phi\theta} = \Gamma^\phi{}_{\theta\phi} = \cot \theta
[/tex]

Another way to calculate the Christoffel symbols, is the trick which uses the geodesics equation, i.e.

[tex]\ddot{x}^\kappa+\Gamma_{\phantom{k}\mu\nu}^\kappa\,\dot{x}^\mu\,\dot{x}^\nu=0 \quad (\ast)[/tex]

From the line element [itex]d\,s^2=g_{\alpha\beta}\,d\,x^\alpha\,d\,x^\beta[/itex] write the Lagrangian [itex]\mathcal{L}=g_{\alpha\beta}\,\dot{x}^\alpha\,\dot{x}^\beta[/itex] and calculate the Euler-Lagrange equations, i.e.

[tex]\frac{d}{d\,\tau}\frac{\partial\,\mathcal{L}}{\partial\,\dot{x}^\kappa}-\frac{\partial\,\mathcal{L}}{\partial\,x^\kappa}=0[/tex]

and bring them to the form of [itex](\ast)[/itex].
For the problem at hand

[tex]\ddot{\theta}-\frac{1}{2}\,\sin(2\,\theta)\,\dot{\phi}^2=0\Rightarrow \Gamma_{\phantom{k}\phi\phi}^\theta=-\frac{1}{2}\,\sin(2\,\theta)[/tex]

[tex]\ddot{\phi}+2\,\cot\theta\,\dot{\theta}\,\dot{\phi}=0\Rightarrow \Gamma_{\phantom{k}\theta\phi}^\phi=\Gamma_{\phantom{k}\phi\theta}^\phi=\cot\theta[/tex]

pervect said:
For the line element

rho^2*(d[theta]^2 + sin(theta)^2*d[phi]^2);

an automated calculation gets two non-zero Christoffel symbols:

[tex]
\Gamma^\theta{}_{\phi\phi} = -\sin \theta \cos \theta
[/tex]
[tex]
\Gamma^\phi{}_{\phi\theta} = \Gamma^\phi{}_{\theta\phi} = \cot \theta
[/tex]

Ok, how do I do that "manually"?

Rainbow Child said:
Another way to calculate the Christoffel symbols, is the trick which uses the geodesics equation, i.e.

[tex]\ddot{x}^\kappa+\Gamma_{\phantom{k}\mu\nu}^\kappa\,\dot{x}^\mu\,\dot{x}^\nu=0 \quad (\ast)[/tex]

From the line element [itex]d\,s^2=g_{\alpha\beta}\,d\,x^\alpha\,d\,x^\beta[/itex] write the Lagrangian [itex]\mathcal{L}=g_{\alpha\beta}\,\dot{x}^\alpha\,\dot{x}^\beta[/itex] and calculate the Euler-Lagrange equations, i.e.

[tex]\frac{d}{d\,\tau}\frac{\partial\,\mathcal{L}}{\partial\,\dot{x}^\kappa}-\frac{\partial\,\mathcal{L}}{\partial\,x^\kappa}=0[/tex]

and bring them to the form of [itex](\ast)[/itex].
For the problem at hand

[tex]\ddot{\theta}-\frac{1}{2}\,\sin(2\,\theta)\,\dot{\phi}^2=0\Rightarrow \Gamma_{\phantom{k}\phi\phi}^\theta=-\frac{1}{2}\,\sin(2\,\theta)[/tex]

[tex]\ddot{\phi}+2\,\cot\theta\,\dot{\theta}\,\dot{\phi}=0\Rightarrow \Gamma_{\phantom{k}\theta\phi}^\phi=\Gamma_{\phantom{k}\phi\theta}^\phi=\cot\theta[/tex]

Thanks, I'm afraid though that we're not at that point in the course where we use Lagrangians to solve the problems. You wouldn't know how to do the calculation "my way"?

TheMan112 said:
Ah, sorry, no, there should be a theta there:

[tex]ds^{2} = g_{ab} dx^{a}dx^{b} = \rho^2 d \theta^{2} + \rho^2 sin^2(\theta) d \phi^2[/tex]

Ok, so [tex]g_{12}= 0[/tex] and [tex]g_{21}=0[/tex] because they are combinations of [tex]d \theta^{2}[/tex] and [tex]d \phi^2[/tex] (and there are no such defining the line element). Have I understood right?

[tex]g_{ab} = \left( \begin{array}{cc} \rho^2 & 0 \\ 0 & \rho^2 sin^2(\theta) \end{array} \right)[/tex]

Yes, that's right. Basically, if you write out the sum on the left hand side in full, you get
[tex]g_{ab} dx^a dx^b = g_{\theta\theta} d\theta^2 + g_{\theta\phi} d\theta d\phi + g_{\phi\theta} d\phi d\theta + g_{\phi\phi} d\phi^2[/tex]
(where technically, [itex]d\theta^2[/itex] stands for [itex]\mathrm{d}\theta \otimes \mathrm{d}\theta[/itex], but never mind that -- (almost) everyone is sloppy with this).
Comparing to the right hand side you get the matrix you gave, and since it is diagonal its inverse [itex]g^{ab}[/itex] consists of just the inverses of the diagonal elements.

To calculate the Christoffel symbols is in general not a pretty exercise, but for diagonal metrics it is quite easy if you use the symmetries right.
You have
Note that in the right hand side there is a sum over l, but because [itex]g^{ab}[/itex] is diagonal, the only contributions will come from the terms with c = l. So, first consider all symbols with [itex]c = \theta[/itex]. Then in the first two bracketed terms, you will have theta in one of the metric indices. What must the other two indices be to get a non-vanishing symbol? On the other hand, the last term will contribute only if [itex]g_{ab}[/itex] has non-zero derivative w.r.t. theta. What a and b can you get? Now you have all the symbols with theta upstairs. Take c = phi and do the same thing again.

Also, note that they are symmetric in a and b.

PS Rainbow Child, that is a cool trick. Didn't know that one :smile:

Last edited:
CompuChip said:
Yes, that's right. Basically, if you write out the sum on the left hand side in full, you get
[tex]g_{ab} dx^a dx^b = g_{\theta\theta} d\theta^2 + g_{\theta\phi} d\theta d\phi + g_{\phi\theta} d\phi d\theta + g_{\phi\phi} d\phi^2[/tex]
(where technically, [itex]d\theta^2[/itex] stands for [itex]\mathrm{d}\theta \otimes \mathrm{d}\theta[/itex], but never mind that -- (almost) everyone is sloppy with this).
Comparing to the right hand side you get the matrix you gave, and since it is diagonal its inverse [itex]g^{ab}[/itex] consists of just the inverses of the diagonal elements.

To calculate the Christoffel symbols is in general not a pretty exercise, but for diagonal metrics it is quite easy if you use the symmetries right.
You have
Note that in the right hand side there is a sum over l, but because [itex]g^{ab}[/itex] is diagonal, the only contributions will come from the terms with c = l. So, first consider all symbols with [itex]c = \theta[/itex]. Then in the first two bracketed terms, you will have theta in one of the metric indices. What must the other two indices be to get a non-vanishing symbol? On the other hand, the last term will contribute only if [itex]g_{ab}[/itex] has non-zero derivative w.r.t. theta. What a and b can you get? Now you have all the symbols with theta upstairs. Take c = phi and do the same thing again.

Also, note that they are symmetric in a and b.

PS Rainbow Child, that is a cool trick. Didn't know that one :smile:

Thank you so much. Very complete and concise, now I got the right answer (based on pervect's computation) and fully understand it. I can't tell you how helpful this was.

Should I add these together in some way to form [tex]\Gamma^c_{ab}[/tex] or should I write the two solutions for [tex]c = \theta[/tex] and [tex]c = \phi[/tex] apart?

You can write them as two matrices, for example:

[tex]{ \left( \Gamma_{\theta} \right)_b }^c = \begin{pmatrix} 0 & 0 \\ 0 & - \sin\theta \cos\theta \end{pmatrix},
{ \left( \Gamma_{\phi} \right)_b }^c = \begin{pmatrix} 0 & \cot\theta \\ \cot\theta & 0 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]
or you can just list them all, which is equally good to me.

(Small word of warning: The fact that you can write them as matrices does still not mean they are genuine tensors. It's just convenient notation).

1. What is a spherical shell in 2-space?

A spherical shell in 2-space is a geometric shape that resembles a hollow sphere, but exists in two dimensions instead of three. It is created by rotating a circle around an axis, resulting in a curved surface with equal distance from the center at all points.

2. How is a spherical shell different from a solid sphere?

A spherical shell is different from a solid sphere in that it is hollow and has no volume, while a solid sphere has a defined volume. A spherical shell only has a surface area, while a solid sphere has both a surface area and volume.

3. What are some real-life examples of spherical shells in 2-space?

Some real-life examples of spherical shells in 2-space include soap bubbles, balloons, and some types of cells in biology. These objects have a curved surface with no volume, making them spherical shells.

4. How is the surface area of a spherical shell in 2-space calculated?

The surface area of a spherical shell in 2-space is calculated using the formula 4πr2, where r is the radius of the circle that was rotated to create the shell. This formula is the same as the surface area of a sphere in 3-space, but with the radius being squared instead of cubed due to the difference in dimensions.

5. What are the applications of spherical shells in 2-space in the field of mathematics?

Spherical shells in 2-space have many applications in the field of mathematics, particularly in geometry and calculus. They are used to study the properties of curved surfaces and are also important in the study of integration and volume calculations.