Find polynoms, with as least as power possible

• Thread starter Theofilius
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary: What way you were using? Is my way,... trying different methods?In summary, Homework Equations involve trying different methods until you find one that works.
Theofilius

Homework Statement

Find polynoms, with as least as power possible, so they will be competent for the equation.

[tex](x^4+2x^3+x+1)A(x) + (x^4+x^3-2x^2+2x-1)B(x)=x^3-2x[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Please help.

Hi Theofilius! :smile:

Just use trial and error …

A and B scalars obviously doesn't work.

So try A and B first-order, of the form A(x) = ax + b, B(x) = cx + d; if that doesn't work, try second-order, if that doesn't work …

Good luck! :smile:

Is there another way, much sure than this one ? :)

There are two ways to do it- you can wave a magic wand or you can do the work! Why would you consider what Tiny Tim suggested "not sure"?

A little thought might simplify the work: since there are no x4, x2 or constant terms on the right hand side, those will have to cancel out on the left.

I mean, if it is [tex]x^100 + x^99[/tex], aren't any fixed way? If not its ok.

Theofilius said:
I mean, if it is [tex]x^100 + x^99[/tex], aren't any fixed way? If not its ok.

(erm … you have to use {} round the 100 or the 99, or it comes out like … well, like that!)

Sorry, Theofilius, not understanding you … not even with the babel fish. :confused:

Sorry, I meant if there any 100% way sure, is there any fixed way, so I can solve the equation withouth trying?

Theofilius said:
Sorry, I meant if there any 100% way sure, is there any fixed way, so I can solve the equation withouth trying?

:rofl: Theofilius, nice try! :rofl:​

… but there wouldn't be any point in your teachers setting these exercises if you could do them without trying, would there? :smile:

Sorry, if I am misunderstud. I want to know is there any fixed principle for solving this equation? If not, its ok. In which form will be A(x). [tex]A(x)=ax^2+bx+c[/tex]. What about B(x)?

Theofilius said:
Sorry, if I am misunderstud. I want to know is there any fixed principle for solving this equation? If not, its ok. In which form will be A(x). [tex]A(x)=ax^2+bx+c[/tex]. What about B(x)?

So far as I know, the "fixed principle" is the trial-and-error method I suggested.

(It may also be possible to do it by dividing by [tex]x^3\,-\,2x[/tex] and then dealing with the remainders, but
(a) I think that might take even longer for a relatively short problem like this, and
(b) you're not good at dividing by polynomials, are you?)

Try A(x) and B(x) both of the form ax + b first.

If that doesn't work, try A(x) and B(x) both of the form [tex]ax^2+bx+c[/tex].

If that doesn't work, … :smile:

I tried with dividing, but it didn't worked. I will try with the other method.

Ok, I tried to solve the system of equation, and it didn't work.
[tex]A(x)=ax^2+bx+c[/tex] [tex]B(x)=ex^2+fx+g[/tex]
Also I tried with
[tex]A(x)=ax^2+bx+c[/tex] [tex]B(x)=ax^2+bx+c[/tex]
and nothing.

Attachments

• untitled1.JPG
    untitled1.JPG
    8.6 KB · Views: 460
There are 1000 of combinations, isn't any simpler way of doing this job?

You're almost there …

Theofilius, you're giving up too easily …

You're nearly half-way there, because your own equations immdiately eliminate some of the unknowns.

You've written a + e = 0 and c - g = 0.

So e = -a, and g = c.

Now rewrite the other four equations, without e and g (for example the second line is b + a + f = 0) … :smile:

it has no solution

Really if some polynom is given, we should try (ax+b) for the 1st one, and then (cx+d) for the second one. If not, then (ax^2+bx+f), and for the 2nd one (cx+d) and vice versa, which is too complicated, and wasting time, there must be some other solution, less complicated than this one.

I hope so that there is another way, because if it is given on some paper test, it will take me 30min. to solve it.

By dividing the whole polynom with [itex]x^3-2x[/itex], we receive:

[tex]((x+2) + \frac{2x^2+3x+1}{x^3-2x})A(x) + ((x+1) + \frac{4x-1}{x^3-2x})B(x)=1[/tex]

Now, [tex]1=0*A(x)+\frac{1}{B(x)}B(x)[/tex]

Now, we can make some system, what do you think?

Last edited:
tiny-tim what do you think?

The answer …

Hi Theofilius and Physicsissuef! :smile:

The solution is:
:smile: [tex]A(x)\,=\,(3x^3\,+\,3x^2\,-\,7x\,+\,2)\,;\,B(x)\,=\,(-3x^3\,-6x^2\,+\,x\,+\,2)\,.[/tex] :smile:

But the way I go it is fairly horrible :frown:, so I'm going to carry on thinking about it - I'm sure there must be a simpler way!

Theofilius, what did they teach you in class about remainders? Maybe there's a clue in there somwehere …

tiny-tim said:
Hi Theofilius and Physicsissuef! :smile:

The solution is:
:smile: [tex]A(x)\,=\,(3x^3\,+\,3x^2\,-\,7x\,+\,2)\,;\,B(x)\,=\,(-3x^3\,-6x^2\,+\,x\,+\,2)\,.[/tex] :smile:

But the way I go it is fairly horrible :frown:, so I'm going to carry on thinking about it - I'm sure there must be a simpler way!

Theofilius, what did they teach you in class about remainders? Maybe there's a clue in there somwehere …

What way you were using? Is my way, correct?

Physicsissuef said:
What way you were using? Is my way, correct?

erm … if you must know …
I put P = 1/2(A+B), Q = 1/2(A-B),
then Q = xR, then P + R/2 = U, 3P/2 + R = V, which gave me:
:redface: [tex]x^2(x^2\,-\,1)U\,+\,(x^2\,+\,1)V\,=\,x^2\,-\,2\,.[/tex] :redface:

Sorry, but I didn't understand your way … how does it go on? :confused:

First, I divide by [itex]x^3-2x[/tex]
and then
[tex]((x+2) + \frac{2x^2+3x+1}{x^3-2x})A(x) + ((x+1) + \frac{4x-1}{x^3-2x})B(x)=1[/tex]

[tex]((x+2) + \frac{2x^2+3x+1}{x^3-2x})A(x) + ((x+1) + \frac{4x-1}{x^3-2x})B(x)=0*A(x)+\frac{1}{B(x)}B(x)[/tex]

Hi Physicsissuef! :smile:

I understand how you get from the first line to the second line … but not why. :confused:

Where would you go from there?

[tex]\frac{2x^2+3x+1}{x^3-2x}=0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{4x-1}{x^3-2x}=\frac{1}{B}[/tex]

I could find B, probably out of here.

Or It is better to write:
[tex]
\frac{2x^2+3x+1}{x^3-2x}=\frac{2}{A}
[/tex]

[tex]
\frac{4x-1}{x^3-2x}= - \frac{1}{B}
[/tex]

Physicsissuef, A and B are polynomials (cubic ones, as it turns out).

You can't treat them as if they were numbers and expect them to make valid fractions! :smile:

I really can't see this working … :cry:

If u substitute the given polynoms (which are A and B), you will see that it works.
Anyway, can you explain me, please, how did you find the polynom? I can't understand anything from your post.

Physicsissuef, I have explained it!

The proof is far too long for me to type out in LaTeX.

But if you follow my substitutions (P and Q for A and B, and so on), slowly and carefully, you'll find that it works! :smile:

oh, and the solution to
[tex]x^2(x^2\,-\,1)U\,+\,(x^2\,+\,1)V\,=\,x^2\,-\,2\,.[/tex]​
is, of course, U = -3/2, V = 3[tex]x^2[/tex]/2 - 2. :smile:

Are you talking about the polynom that Theofilius had given, or this is yours polynom?

Physicsissuef said:
Are you talking about the polynom that Theofilius had given, or this is yours polynom?

Theofilius' of course :smile: - if you put my A(x) and B(x) into his original question, and multiply it out, you'll find that it does work (actually, I assumed you'd already done that!)

Can you please start from beginning and write the problem without using latex. Why you used 1/A-B and 1/A+B, and so on... Please!

Physicsissuef said:
Can you please start from beginning and write the problem without using latex. Why you used 1/A-B and 1/A+B, and so on... Please!

Oh, sorry, when I put P = 1/2(A+B), Q = 1/2(A-B), I meant P = (A+B)/2, Q = (A-B)/2. :redface:

No, Physicsissuef, you do it.

You won't understand anything just by seeing my proof.

Start by writing P = (A+B)/2, Q = (A-B)/2 into the original equation.

You should get an equation which makes it clear that Q must be divisible by x. So Put Q = xR.

… and so on …

If you have any particular difficulty, you can get back to me on it. :smile:

However, it's not a very sensible proof anyway, and I really don't recommend you trying to understand it …

Where I substitute P and Q exactly and why you get A+B/2 and A-B/2, why not some other numbers?