Is it me, or is Michio Kaku a total buffoon?

In summary: I've seen him do that.In summary, Zz does not think much of Kaku's work. He thinks that he wears his physicist hat too often on TV and that his views are not really credible.
Moonbear said:
I can't see that as helping his credibility at all. :biggrin:

Well, given some of the guests and topics on that show, I have to agree. But I will be listening. His last show was kind of funny. Art asked one of those out of the world questions. I can't remember what it was. Perhaps; "Do you think Yeti's are alien invaders?" Prof. Kaku paused for a moment and went off on a totally different direction without ever acknowledging the question.

There are a few reviews out regarding his new book:
A fascinating exploration of the interface between science and science fiction, extremely well researched, lively, and tremendously entertaining. – Fritjof Capra

I have to admit, I've never read any of his books, but I do love listening to him.

Physics news on Phys.org
Moonbear said:
I can't see that as helping his credibility at all. :biggrin:

Brian Greene makes occasional appearances, and I believe that Lisa Randall has been on as well.

...no better way to sell a book. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
Brian Greene makes occasional appearances, and I believe that Lisa Randall has been on as well.

...no better way to sell a book. :biggrin:

When Lisa Randall was on, Art introduced her as a "female Michio Kaku". I seem to recall that didn't go over very well.

Math Is Hard said:
When Lisa Randall was on, Art introduced her as a "female Michio Kaku". I seem to recall that didn't go over very well.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Maybe someone should have told her that Bell also labeled Kaku as the new Carl Sagan.

Not to derail the thread, but did I hear that Bell was getting divorced from his new child bride?

George Jones said:
An http://www.cbc.ca/quirks/media/2007-2008/mp3/qq-2008-03-22_01.mp3" with Kaku aired yesterday on the CBC programme Quirks and Quarks.

I just listened to this, and I see what people are saying. Btw, I don't like them comparing this guy to Sagan at all!

"In physics, there is a statement that anything that is not impossible is mandatory."

What does he mean? Is he just saying that if a claim is not falsifiable, then whatever is being claimed must, in principle, be possible?

He also states some things very confidently, such as the fact that it is possible to survive a trip through a black hole under certain conditions, or that a trip through a black hole definitely leads to a parallel universe, whatever that means. Not having studied GR, I am not in a position to evaluate his claims, but they seem sort of far-fetched. I didn't think that physicists were 100% sure that there even WERE parallel universes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah he says a lot of things with confidence that turn out to be hypothetical rather than theoretical; that's Kaku though in my experience. :smile:

Since as far as I know no one has survived a trip through a black hole, I'd take that statement as being in the hypothetical camp, equally parallel Universes are hypothetical.

cepheid said:
"In physics, there is a statement that anything that is not impossible is mandatory."

What does he mean? Is he just saying that if a claim is not falsifiable, then whatever is being claimed must, in principle, be possible?

No, he's saying that if you can't rule out something happening, then it WILL happen. For example there is nothing against flipping a coin so that it lands on its side rather than heads or tails, so eventually you'd expect it to happen. Something along those lines.

Not that if it's not falsifiable it has to happen, but if you've proven that it's not impossible, then it has to happen. Very vague statement.

He also states some things very confidently, such as the fact that it is possible to survive a trip through a black hole under certain conditions, or that a trip through a black hole definitely leads to a parallel universe, whatever that means. Not having studied GR, I am not in a position to evaluate his claims, but they seem sort of far-fetched. I didn't think that physicists were 100% sure that there even WERE parallel universes.

He's a string theorist. He HAS to be sure there are parallel universes or else his entire work would be meaningless. :p

Sounds more like a belief than a science. :wink:

Cyrus said:
Interesting, negative energy!

Right! That was the other thing that seemed crazy, although I haven't looked up the Kasimir effect that he alluded to.

Something bothers me. Once the scientific method began with observations. People said, "I wonder why this happens", "I wonder why it looks this way." Hypothesis. Experiment. But today, with some of the way-out ideas, like wormholes, the process begins with "I would be real cool if this were true." Nothing observed and wondered about. Just inspiration from sci-fi novels, and "it would be so cool" ... "so let's devote our careers, and the money of university benefactors, and sometimes taxpayer money, to modeling it."

Then the supposed "testing" of the idea is to check that it's not (yet) found to be mathematically inconsistent. I don't see how that achieves anything important. There are a lot of things that aren't true even though there are no self-contradictions in them. There would be no logical or mathematical self-contradictions in me being a rich and famous movie star, but that doesn't make it true, or even worthy of being suspected. How does the fact that the mathematics is self-consistent, when they consider wormholes, eleven dimensional space, or time running backwards, give some people any confidence in such ideas? The only thing logical consistency achieves is: "This idea hasn't yet been proven wrong."

Last edited:
I've said that numerous times before, the last time was in relation to MWI. "You're theory is crazy but not crazy enough to be true!", to quote Bohr. :smile:

Michio Kaku is indeed really smart - he built a particle accelerator at age 17, graduated at the top of his class from Harvard - and explains things really well but he is a sell-out...

I agree, he is smart. He's using his brain to make money. Why the HELL not? Is he supposed to please a bunch of people on a physics forum? Gimme a break folks.

Kudos to him for getting rich in the process of doing what you love. I hope I can do the same someday.

Quincy said:
but he is a sell-out...

Several people have said this in this thread. What does it MEAN? He's a scientist. How can a physicist "sell out" his colleagues?

The importance of promoting basic scientific literacy amongst the general populace, as well as inspiring the imaginations of the next generation of scientists cannot be underestimated.

Maybe Michio Kaku is not very effective at doing the former, but it sounds like he has done some of the latter.

I say this despite some of the reservations I had about what he was saying in the CBC interview.

cepheid said:
Several people have said this in this thread. What does it MEAN? He's a scientist. How can a physicist "sell out" his colleagues?

LOL... I'd like to hear their definition of sell out as well!

Let me defend Dr. Kaku as well, since he's not here to speak for himself. Dr. Kaku uses imagination and then sees if it can be ruled out mathematically & scientifically. He follows an example set by Einstein - "I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."

The concept E=mc2 didn't just pop into his head one day. Einstein himself had some pretty crazy theories that he eventually ruled out. He simply lived in a time with a culture that didn't really allow him to speak out on them.

I would say that Michio will best be known in the end not for his genius, certainly well Earned, but rather for the huge numbers of people he has inspired to seek out their imagination and thus a desire to understand and learn.

http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i1652454_WeavingaStarInspirational2.jpg

Is how I put it with an artistic touch... LOL

Ivan Seeking said:
Not to derail the thread, but did I hear that Bell was getting divorced from his new child bride?

Oh man, I don't want to hear about it.

Poor guy. Needs to settle down by himself a while.

Yeah, wait a second, I'm starting to get the cynical idea that this guy is kind of charismatic and is getting rich. Sure, he's selling popular science, but he does write papers and texts. Hawking has done both, and no body says he's a sell out.

You can't insult Hawking because he's a cripple. That would be mean. Kaku is fair game, though.

You become a sell out when you care more about being famous/rich than whatever got you there in the first place. In this case, the physics.

Is this true of Kaku?

Poop-Loops said:
You can't insult Hawking because he's a cripple. That would be mean. Kaku is fair game, though.

You become a sell out when you care more about being famous/rich than whatever got you there in the first place. In this case, the physics.

Is this true of Kaku?

No its not true of Kaku, nor is Stephen Hawking being out of bounds because he' a cripple. I myself am disabled and I surprise folks all the time because they put too much emphasis on the disability and not the ability. Yes Stephen's condition causes him many problems but I suspect he looks at it much like I do - a fact of life, hurdles to overcome.

Just because someone makes lots of money does not mean they are a sell out. The same with being all over TV & the Radio waves. Part of their fame comes from the fact that they've earned their status. In Dr. Kaku's case, it is also because he is so personable and seeks to explain things in a way which non-science oriented people can grasp. This is why he is so sought after for shows and documentaries.

I would suggest anyone accusing him of being a sell-out go do some extensive research as to what Michio's full contributions are and what he does with a whole lot of that money. Your opinion might change drastically.

Tekno said:
No its not true of Kaku, nor is Stephen Hawking being out of bounds because he' a cripple. I myself am disabled and I surprise folks all the time because they put too much emphasis on the disability and not the ability. Yes Stephen's condition causes him many problems but I suspect he looks at it much like I do - a fact of life, hurdles to overcome.

Particularly well said. Stephen Hawking's disability has always been what has driven him. The fact that he was going to die soon, at least as said by his Dr's made him obsessive, but in a good way. He still is.

Just because someone makes lots of money does not mean they are a sell out. The same with being all over TV & the Radio waves. Part of their fame comes from the fact that they've earned their status. In Dr. Kaku's case, it is also because he is so personable and seeks to explain things in a way which non-science oriented people can grasp. This is why he is so sought after for shows and documentaries.

Well said

I would suggest anyone accusing him of being a sell-out go do some extensive research as to what Michio's full contributions are and what he does with a whole lot of that money. Your opinion might change drastically.

Also very well said.

Last edited:
Poop-Loops said:
I find this thread fascinating. Hawking's papers are audacious, truly deep and beautifully written. His book with Penrose on the structure of space and time is a jewel. Reading technical papers from Hawking blesses one with deepest hindsights on the most baffling conceptual problems in physics. Comparing Hawking and Kaku is not only inappropriate, it is nonsense. http://www.slac.stanford.edu/spires/find/hep/www?rawcmd=find+a+hawking&FORMAT=WWW&SEQUENCE= . They just don't play at the same level. May I remind you that Hawking is sitting on Newton and Dirac same chair ?

Bringing the idea that one would not "dare" insulting Hawking because of his physical condition is not only insulting to Hawking as well as to people here, it also displays a very poor sens of humanity.

Ivan Seeking said:

I haven't heard that. Hope it's not true. I was hoping he had found someone who would take care of him since he does seem to have health issues from time to time.

humanino said:
I find this thread fascinating. Hawking's papers are audacious, truly deep and beautifully written. His book with Penrose on the structure of space and time is a jewel. Reading technical papers from Hawking blesses one with deepest hindsights on the most baffling conceptual problems in physics. Comparing Hawking and Kaku is not only inappropriate, it is nonsense.

LOL.. if you only wish to go by their papers, I would agree, however when you factor in their life as a whole, both are equally amazing men, just walking on slightly different paths. It is why you love Stephen's work and dislike Michio's, where I on the other hand love both, for each offers me different insights, knowledge and many new things to contemplate.

I would ABSOLUTELY LOVE to meet Hawking, he's AWESOME.

binzing said:
I would ABSOLUTELY LOVE to meet Hawking, he's AWESOME.

Ditto! Would love to meet him as well, but other than to pay him a compliment once I don't even write him so as not to take up his time.

I figure he has a very good sense of humor.

Clowning around with Jim Carey:
carreyhawking.jpg

Math Is Hard said:
I figure he has a very good sense of humor.

When I hear of Schrödinger's cat, I reach for my gun...
... Stephen William Hawking.

I'm sorry, but when I saw that quote, I knew I not only admired him, but loved that man.

Haven't read all of this but as to the title of the thread,

It's you.

Integral said:
Haven't read all of this but as to the title of the thread,

It's you.

Me!? Or has this turned into a 'who's on first' kind of thread?

OmCheeto said:
Me!? Or has this turned into a 'who's on first' kind of thread?

I think he was referring to the originator of this topic... his response to the question that is the title of this topic.

Tekno said:
I think he was referring to the originator of this topic... his response to the question that is the title of this topic.

I knew that. I was just trying to be funny.
sorry...

Is anyone going to be listening to Coast to Coast this Friday?

OmCheeto said:
I knew that. I was just trying to be funny.
sorry...

LOL... you don't have to apologize (but I apologize too just in case at times).