Working while pursuing engineering degree?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of having a job while pursuing an engineering degree. The main questions are whether it is possible to balance a part-time job with a full engineering curriculum, and if it is possible to maintain good grades while working. Some people share their personal experiences of successfully working while studying engineering, while others mention the challenges and sacrifices that come with it. Overall, the conversation highlights the importance of time management and discipline in order to be successful in both work and school.
authentic
I have been pondering about the idea of it being possible to have a job while you are
pursuing an engineering degree. Now it doesn't have to be full time but it can be
part time, like some finances to help out with ordinary college student bills. But what
about the people who work close to full time or maybe 30 or so hours a week with a full
engineering curriculum a semester? Do you all think it is possible to give the amount of effort
to be successful in an engineering disclipine while working a part time job also?
1. Can you squeze the amount of study time needed into your schedule?
2.Can you be an "A" or "B" student in your engineering classes at the same time?

What do you all think?...

Physics news on Phys.org
Any responses or opinions?

Look at polytechnic schools and see if students there are working. If they are, then someone who's doing engineering must be working and graduating all right.

I knew a guy at UMBC who held down a job while doing an engineering degree. Very rough (I had a DiffEQ class with him at the community college and he had to drop), but I think he kept decent grades and graduated.

I work 40 hours a week (nights) Monday to Friday, and attend school for Engineering full-time Monday to Friday as well. There are a couple catches however (for me at least).

1. Four class per semester limit (meaning five years to graduate plus a couple summer classes).
2. I operate a wastewater treatment plant. Aside from rounds every hour or so (and provided nothing breaks or a process hasn't tanked), I hammer out some lab work and then I'm free to do a few hours of homework while I monitor things from our control room. This allows me to finish homework for one of my classes.
3. You have to be disciplined enough to work between classes and during those half hour breaks that are common throughout the day. This allows me to finish homework for another class. Saturday is spent doing homework for the third and fourth class. I usually finish in time to go out Saturday night and have some fun - if not, it's spent at my desk.
4. You need a day without school or work to rest and relax - lest you go nutty (my day is Sunday).

Oh, and make sure you have adequate transportation to get yourself between school, work, and home (if you're commuting).

My current cumulative GPA is 3.93 (A). So far I have finished Calculus I & II, Linear Algebra, Physics I & II, Chemistry I & II, Intro to Engineering, Intro to Business, some programming classes, and a bunch of General Education Classes. I'm signed up for Multivariate Calculus, Computer Modeling, and my last two Gen-Ed classes this fall (should be a fairly easy semester compared to last spring). So doing well is certainly possible. We'll see how well I handle junior/senior level classes though.

Last edited:
I worked about 35 hours a week and took 16 credits during the fall and winter and 8 credits for spring and summer while getting my degree. The first couple years are alright and being able to do homework at work really helps although for me that wasn't always an option. However, the last couple years were very rough because of large projects especially with senior design the last semester. My last semester I was taking 4, 400 level engineering classes, all with projects, one was senior design, while working 35 hours a week. During that semester I lost about 20 pounds, I looked like I was dead, had no life what so ever, in other words pure hell. It can be done and probably is worth it if you start working professionally after college. I know some may disagree but work experience while in school accounts for a hell of a lot more then a perfect GPA and I have the offer letters to prove it.

I made it through school in 4.5 years with about a 3.2 GPA. If you want to get ahead of everyone else I suggest working, if you like to enjoy life then don't. However, if you do decide to work be prepared to go 2 and sometimes 3 days without sleeping and don't expect to have a girlfriend or any fun at all for that matter.

very helpful info
kudos to you all for having
the effort to work like you did

1. How do I balance my job and studies while pursuing an engineering degree?

Balancing a job and studies while pursuing an engineering degree can be challenging, but it is possible with proper time management and organization. Make a schedule that includes specific blocks of time for studying, working, and leisure activities. Prioritize your tasks and eliminate any distractions during study time. Also, communicate with your employer about your availability and any upcoming exams or deadlines.

2. Is it common for students to work while pursuing an engineering degree?

Yes, it is common for engineering students to work while pursuing their degree. Many students work part-time jobs to help with expenses and gain relevant work experience. It is important to find a balance between work and studies to avoid burnout and maintain good academic performance.

3. Can working while pursuing an engineering degree affect my grades?

Working while pursuing an engineering degree can affect your grades if not managed properly. It is crucial to prioritize your studies and dedicate enough time for them. Communicate with your employer about your academic commitments and try to find a job with flexible hours that can accommodate your class schedule. Taking on too many hours or a demanding job may lead to exhaustion and affect your academic performance.

4. What are the benefits of working while pursuing an engineering degree?

Working while pursuing an engineering degree can have several benefits. It can provide financial support and reduce student loan debt. It also allows students to gain valuable work experience, develop time management skills, and build a professional network. Working in a related field can also give students a better understanding of their future career and help them make informed decisions about their education and future job prospects.

5. Are there any resources available to help students manage work and studies while pursuing an engineering degree?

Yes, there are resources available to help students manage work and studies while pursuing an engineering degree. Many universities have career centers and academic advisors who can provide guidance and support. They can help students create a balanced schedule, find internships or part-time jobs, and offer tips on time management and study techniques. Additionally, there are online resources and productivity apps that can assist with organization and time management.