Solving Integrals: A Step-by-Step Guide for Integrating by Parts

In summary, the conversation is about evaluating the integral of x^3ln(x) using the method of integration by parts. The participants discuss the best choice of substitution and provide tips for solving the problem. The final answer is a constant expression involving the variable m.
avr10

Homework Statement

[tex]\text {Evaluate } \int^m_1 x^{3}ln{x}\,dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Integrating by parts, but not sure which term to substitute out...it's not turning out clean...argh I've done every other problem except for this one, can someone just provide the first step? Much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what you mean by "I'm not sure which term to substitute out?" What is the method for integration by parts: you should have a formula, no? What specifically are you confused with, with respect to this formula?

You should try substituting for v and du, the terms for which vdu is easy to integrate. It's harder to integrate ln than it is to differentiate it, so that provides an obvious choice.

Since you have x3ln x dx, and want u(x) dv, there are really just two choices: either u(x)= x3 and dv= ln(x)dx or u(x)= ln(x) and dv= x3dv. Try both and see which gives you a decent integral!

Thanks, I integrated it successfully, but since this is a definite integral, at the end I'm not quite sure what to do with the boundaries, namely with the m term. Is it okay to leave the answer as an expression of both m and x?

It comes out to this:

[tex]\frac {1}{4} (x^{4} ln{x} - \int^m_1 x^{3} \,dx) [/tex]

Hi avr10! :smile:
avr10 said:
[tex]\frac {1}{4} (x^{4} ln{x} - \int^m_1 x^{3} \,dx) [/tex]

Evaluate the first part between 1 and m:

[tex]\left[\frac {1}{4} x^{4} ln{x} \right]^m_1 [/tex] :smile:

Hm? Why is that?

Because that's what the little numbers at top and bottom of the integral sign mean!
[tex]\int_a^b f(x)dx= F(b)- F(a)[/tex]
where F is an anti-derivative of f. The result of a definite integral is a number, not a function of x.

Integrating by parts using the standard formula gives me
[tex]\left[ln(x)*\frac {1}{3} x^{3} -\frac {1}{9}x^{3}\right]^m_1 [/tex]

Following up by the formula presented by HallsofIvy, I get:

[tex]ln(m)-\frac{3}{9}*m^{3}-\frac{1}{9}*m^{3}+\frac{1}{9}[/tex]

Which is pulled together to:

[tex]ln(m)+\frac {1}{9}-\frac {4}{9}m^3[/tex]

Voila?

Edit: HallsofIvy, in this case the answer is not a number, but yes, it is a constant.

What is the purpose of integrating by parts?

The purpose of integrating by parts is to simplify the process of integration by breaking down a complicated integral into smaller, more manageable parts. This is especially useful for integrals that involve products of functions or trigonometric functions.

How does integrating by parts work?

Integrating by parts involves using the product rule for derivatives in the reverse direction. This means that the integral of a product of two functions, f(x) and g(x), can be expressed as the integral of g(x) times the derivative of f(x) plus the integral of the derivative of g(x) times f(x). This process can be repeated until the integral becomes simpler to solve.

What are the steps for integrating by parts?

The steps for integrating by parts are as follows:

1. Identify the functions f(x) and g(x) in the integral.
  2. Differentiate f(x) to find f'(x) and integrate g(x) to find ∫g(x)dx.
  3. Plug these values into the formula ∫f(x)g(x)dx = f(x)∫g(x)dx - ∫f'(x)∫g(x)dx.
  4. Simplify the integral and solve for the unknown variable.
  5. If necessary, repeat the process until the integral can be easily solved.

What types of integrals can be solved using integrating by parts?

Integrating by parts is most commonly used for integrals that involve products of functions, such as f(x)g(x). It can also be used for integrals involving trigonometric functions, logarithmic functions, and inverse trigonometric functions.

Are there any limitations to integrating by parts?

Integrating by parts may not always work for all integrals, especially those that involve complicated functions or do not follow a specific pattern. In these cases, other integration techniques may need to be used.