Prime Number Theorem: Proving Equivalence of $P(x)$ and $Li(x)$

In summary, the conversation discusses the equivalence of the prime number theorem and the statement "P(x) ~ Li(x)" and how to prove it. It is shown that P(x) is equivalent to pi(x) plus some insignificant terms, and it is sufficient to prove that P(x) = pi(x) + O(sqrt(x)).
peteryellow
We have that

$P(x) = \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac 1k \pi(x^{1/k})$
and
$Li(x) = \int_2^n \frac {dt}{\log t}$

And the prime number theorem is:

$$\pi(n) \sim \frac{n}{\log n }$$
I want to show that $$P(x) \sim Li(x)$$ is equivalent to prime number theorem.

Can some body please help me with this.

Physics news on Phys.org
\sim is transitive, so it suffices to show that
[tex]\operatorname{Li}(x)\sim x/\log(x)[/tex]

I have shown this but still I need to show that P(x) \sim Li(x).

Then you're done:
1. [tex]\pi(x)\sim x/\log(x)[/tex] (Prime Number Theorem)
2. [tex]\operatorname{Li}(x)\sim x/\log(x)[/tex] (you said you proved it already)
3. [tex]\pi(x)\sim\operatorname{Li}(x)[/tex] (by transitivity of ~)

I wish I was done but I am not how can I prove that P(x) \sim Li(x).

P is different from /pi. Give any suggestion how can I prove this.

peteryellow said:
P is different from /pi. Give any suggestion how can I prove this.

Ah, sorry, I forgot your notation. But P(x) is just pi(x) plus some insignificant terms. It suffices to show that P(x) = pi(x) + O(sqrt(x)).

yes, but how.

1. What is the Prime Number Theorem?

The Prime Number Theorem is a mathematical theorem that describes the distribution of prime numbers. It states that the number of prime numbers up to a given value, n, is approximately equal to n/ln(n), where ln(n) is the natural logarithm of n.

2. What is the significance of the Prime Number Theorem?

The Prime Number Theorem is significant because it provides insight into the behavior of prime numbers, which are the building blocks of all other numbers. It also has applications in number theory, cryptography, and other areas of mathematics.

3. What is $P(x)$?

$P(x)$ is the prime counting function, which counts the number of prime numbers up to a given value, x. It is represented by the symbol π(x).

4. What is $Li(x)$?

$Li(x)$ is the logarithmic integral function, which is an approximation of the prime counting function π(x). It is given by the formula Li(x) = ∫(1/ln(t))dt, where the integral is taken from 2 to x.

5. How is the Prime Number Theorem used to prove the equivalence of $P(x)$ and $Li(x)$?

The Prime Number Theorem is used to show that as x approaches infinity, the difference between $P(x)$ and $Li(x)$ becomes smaller and smaller. This implies that $P(x)$ and $Li(x)$ are asymptotically equivalent, meaning they have the same growth rate. This can be proven mathematically using techniques from calculus and number theory.