High Voltage Switching: Trigger 120V Coil with Tiny Magnetic Reader

In summary, you will need a silicon controlled rectifier, a solid state relay, and a protection diode to turn your magnetic reader on and off.
magnetic-man
If I'm using a weak signal like from a tiny magnetic reader, how do I get it to trigger a 120 volt coil?. What electronic hardware do I need to wire in between? Or what type of switch can do this? Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What you need is a silicon controlled rectifier, widely available.

Here's some text from this site: http://www.tpub.com/neets/book7/26c.htm

The basic purpose of the SCR is to function as a switch that can turn on or off small or large amounts of power. It performs this function with no moving parts that wear out and no points that require replacing. There can be a tremendous power gain in the SCR; in some units a very small triggering current is able to switch several hundred amperes without exceeding its rated abilities. The SCR can often replace much slower and larger mechanical switches.

With an SCR, a tiny gate signal controls a much larger anode cathode power which can be connected to your coil...

What type of output is your magnetic reader providing: just on or off or varying levels of dc output? If the former, an SCR (a switch, on or off) is ok; if the latter, you'll want something like a transistor which has different out levels for different input levels...

I assume your magnetic reader is basically a dc output...if it's ac, you can make a transformer from two co wound coils...

Its just an on/off thing. What I'm trying to do:When a magnet affixed to a rotating shaft passes the reader, it switches the current on. 140 degrees of rotation later I want a second magnet to turn it off. I need a GTO type SCR. Problem is so far is that... To turn on you send a + tive signal to shut off you send a negative one. How do I get the reader to send the different signals? Any suggestions?

You can use solid state relays.. Electronic version of a mechanical relay. Might be slow on-off time though.

Otherwise IGBT devices.

Thanks for you response. It was the perfect solution.
What I'm trying to do: A trigger magnet affixed to the periphery of a rotating shaft, passes the trigger magnet under a fixed reed switch. It switches a current supply on. 140 degrees of rotation later, I have a second trigger magnet to turn that same current supply off.
Thanks to your answer, I've deduced that I actually need a GTO type SCR. Problem now is that... To turn on(open current flow) you to send a + tive signal and to shut off, you send a negative one. How do I get the one reader to send the two opposite signals? Any suggestions? Also I need to place a protection diode across the coil. There will be the hall effect when I cut the power and there will be reverse EMF on top of that. Can I recapture that energy and put it into a battery instead of blocking it with the protection diode?

1. What is high voltage switching?

High voltage switching is the process of controlling the flow of electricity in a circuit by turning it on or off. This is typically done using a switch or a relay.

2. What is a trigger 120V coil?

A trigger 120V coil is a type of coil that is designed to be triggered or activated by a specific input, such as a voltage or current. In this case, it is used to control the switching of high voltage electricity.

3. What is a tiny magnetic reader?

A tiny magnetic reader is a small electronic device that is designed to detect and read magnetic fields. In this context, it is used to detect the presence of a magnetic field in order to trigger the 120V coil and control the high voltage switching.

4. How does high voltage switching work?

High voltage switching works by using a trigger 120V coil and a tiny magnetic reader to control the flow of electricity. When the magnetic reader detects a magnetic field, it triggers the 120V coil, which then switches the high voltage circuit on or off.

5. What are the applications of high voltage switching?

High voltage switching is commonly used in a variety of applications, including power distribution systems, industrial equipment, and electronic devices. It is also used in research and development, as well as in scientific experiments and studies.