Triangular Obelisk: Calculate Angle & Height

• Thread starter markmdesigns
  • Start date
In summary, a new member to the forum, M, is seeking help with a scenic piece they want to build for a theatre. The piece is an obelisk with a triangular base and trapezoidal sides, with specific dimensions provided. M is looking for the angle between the vertical and one of the side faces, as well as the overall height of the solid. Another member, Ardiank, provides the necessary formulas and calculations to find both the angle (1.378°) and the height (13' 11.95"). M expresses their gratitude and mentions that they rarely use trigonometry in their work and now just need to figure out how to build the piece.
markmdesigns
Hi all

I am new to the forum. I'm a designer for theatre and I'm having some trouble figuring out a scenic piece I want to build.

The piece is essentially an obelisk with a triangular base. The three sides of the solid are trapezoids with 4' wide base, 2'-10" wide top and an overall height of 14' (dimensions shown in the image). The base is an equilateral triangle with 4' sides and the top is an equilateral triangle with 2'-10" sides.

Each of the sides must slope back slightly in order for their edges to meet. So the two questions are:
1) What is that angle? (shown as angel n)
2) What is the overall height of the solid?

Thanks so much for your help!

~M.

Attachments

• Obelisk.JPG
    Obelisk.JPG
    12.1 KB · Views: 668
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome!

I'm assuming the height of each trapezoidal face is 14', and you want the total height. I'm also assuming the angle you want (which I will refer to by θ) is the angle between the vertical and one of the side faces, not one of the edges.

Let h be the total height of the solid (which is to be found), a be the width of a trapezoidal piece at the bottom (4'), b the width at the top (2' 10"), and c the height of each piece (14'). Looking at the base of the solid, let d be the (perpendicular) distance from the centre of the base to one of the edges of the base; similarly, let e be the distance from the centre of the base to one of the edges of the top. Trigonometry gives d = a√(3)/6 and e = b√(3)/6, so c sin θ = d - e; also, h2 = c2 - (d - e)2. Then θ = 1.378° and h = 13' 11.95" (which I'm guessing is close enough to 14' for your purpose).

If you want the angle between an edge and the vertical, put c sin θ = 2(d - e) above to obtain θ = 2.657°.

Last edited:
Thanks Ardiank.

I was able to find the angle I was looking for as = 1.38 using my CAD software, and subsequently the height. I just had trouble figuring out how to rotate the object to the correct angle and needed the exact angle to input.

Your description and formulas point out the exact thing I was overlooking: the distance from the center of the base to one edge which forms your right triangle with the tilted face and allows you to run the calculations.

While I use geometry every day to compute simple stuff (how much paint will I need to cover this drop, etc.) I rarely need to use trigonometry and since this object is all triangles, it a rare shape for me to deal with. Now I just have to figure out how to build it!

1. What is a triangular obelisk?

A triangular obelisk is a three-dimensional structure with a triangular base and three sloping sides that meet at a point on top. It is often used as a monument or decorative piece.

2. How do I calculate the angle of a triangular obelisk?

To calculate the angle of a triangular obelisk, you will need to know the length of each side and use trigonometry. The formula is: angle = arctan(height/base). You can also use a protractor to measure the angle directly if you have access to the obelisk.

3. How do I calculate the height of a triangular obelisk?

To calculate the height of a triangular obelisk, you will need to know the angle of one of the sides and the length of the base. The formula is: height = base x tan(angle). If you do not know the angle, you can measure it with a protractor or use trigonometry to solve for the angle first.

4. Can I use the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the height of a triangular obelisk?

Yes, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the height of a triangular obelisk if you know the lengths of the three sides. The formula is: height = √(a^2 + b^2), where a and b are the two shorter sides of the triangle.

5. Are there any online calculators for calculating the angle and height of a triangular obelisk?

Yes, there are several online calculators available that can help you calculate the angle and height of a triangular obelisk. Just search for "triangular obelisk calculator" and you should find several options to choose from.