Given a point and a curve: how to find perpindicular POI?

• Thread starter DyslexicHobo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve Point
In summary, the point on the surface closest to (3,0,0) was on the xz-plane. To find this point, you need to take the derivative of the equation d = sqrt{(x-3)^2+z^2}. This is complicated and can be done more easily by simplifying the problem to a projection of the xz-plane.
DyslexicHobo
Hi all,

This seems more like a basic level general math question, but since it was asked in my calc III/linear class on my final exam and possibly involves derivatives, I decided to post here.

The original question:
Given f(x,y) = x^2 + y^2, find the point on the surface that is closest to the point (3,0,0).

I sketched the figure (a parabloid) relative to the point and saw that it was obvious that the point on the surface which was closest to (3,0,0) was on the xz-plane.

I drew a projection of the xz-plane with the point, and then realized that the shortest line would be the one which was perpindicular to the curve z=x^2.

It's probably got something to do with relating the derivative of the curve to the line, but I'm not sure how. I ended up saying that the slope of the curve = 2x (dy/dx), so the slope of the line from (3,0,0) to the point on z=x^2 must be 1/(2x).

However, that's where I got stuck. It's really frustrating because it seems like it's so obvious, but the answer keeps eluding me!

How could I go about solving this problem? Also, what's the more generalized way of doing this in three dimensions? I'm sure that mine is not the quickest or most general form, considering I had a special case where the point lied on an axis.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey,
I'm just a student (and it seems I'm at about the same level in math as you) but just something I noticed in reading your post. You said the slope perpendicular to 2x is 1/2x. Remember than if the slope is 2x, the slope perpendicular to that is -1/2x. I'll read your post more thoroughly and see if I can't help you out.

edit: I gave it a shot but I'm no where near confident enough in my method to advise someone else. It seems though, that you have to take the distance formula d = sqrt((x-3)^2 + y^2 + z^2) and find the derivate, solve for d' = 0 to find critical values, figure out which of these is a minimum (there should only be one) and that should be your answer... I think.

quick help with how to insert latex expressions, anyone? (not to hijack the thread or anything)

Last edited:
daytripper said:
Hey,
I'm just a student (and it seems I'm at about the same level in math as you) but just something I noticed in reading your post. You said the slope perpendicular to 2x is 1/2x. Remember than if the slope is 2x, the slope perpendicular to that is -1/2x. I'll read your post more thoroughly and see if I can't help you out.

edit: I gave it a shot but I'm no where near confident enough in my method to advise someone else. It seems though, that you have to take the distance formula d = sqrt((x-3)^2 + y^2 + z^2) and find the derivate, solve for d' = 0 to find critical values, figure out which of these is a minimum (there should only be one) and that should be your answer... I think.

quick help with how to insert latex expressions, anyone? (not to hijack the thread or anything)

Yeah, I had that equation written out on my paper, too... for some reason I didn't realize that I could just take the derivative of the equation to find a rel. min. It makes sense, I was just stuck on solving it my way because it's how I visualized it at first.

LaTeX can be inserted by using:
[ tex] Latex code here [/ tex]

You can learn how to insert more complex things here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997

Thanks for the tip. I hope the admin will excuse this, but I'm going to try it out real quick:
[tex]d\; =\; \sqrt{\left( x-3 \right)^{2}\; +\; y^{2}\; +\; z^{2}}[/tex]
p.s. If you have a mac, write equations in grapher and then highlight them and right-click (you'll be able to copy an equation as a latex expression). alt+v is the sqrt symbol
...that would've been immensely useful to me a year ago. I'm going to make a thread on this in case anyone is unaware

Blah! This makes me want to have a mac. :P

Btw, taking the derivative of [tex]d\; =\; \sqrt{\left( x-3 \right)^{2}\; +\; y^{2}\; +\; z^{2}}[/tex] is pretty complicated (two partial derivatives)... so I guess it works out a lot better to simplify the problem to a projection of the xz-plane so that you only need to take one derivative with respect to x.

[tex] d = sqrt{(x-3)^2+z^2}[/tex]
[tex]
z^2 = d^2 - (x-3)^2[/tex]
[tex]
z = sqrt{d^2 - (x-3)^2}[/tex]
[tex]
dz/dx = -(x-3)/(sqrt(-x+d+3)*sqrt(x+d-3))[/tex]

Then what? What am I doing wrong? This was an extra credit question, so I don't feel that bad for being so clueless...

Does this make sense? :/ UGH I'm so lost. I've been studying too much linear algebra stuff, I think, and I've lost my ability to do calculus.

We are trying to pick a point (x,y,z) on our curve [tex]z = x^2 + y^2 [/tex] that will be closest to (3,0,0). Since that point is on our curve it will have the form [tex](x,y,x^2+y^2)[/tex]. So now we have our distance formula:

[tex]D = \sqrt{(x-x_{0})^2 + (y-y_{0})^2 + (z-z_{0})^2} [/tex], plug our information into get

[tex]D = \sqrt{(x-3)^2 + y^2 + (x^2 + y^2)^2}[/tex]

So now you differentiate D with respect to x, then differentiate with respect to y.

Get your points, figure out if they are min, max or saddle.

Last edited:
let me think a bit more about this problem before I reply with nonesense

Last edited:
NoMoreExams said:
We are trying to pick a point (x,y,z) on our curve z = x^2 + y^2 that will be closest to (3,0,0). Since that point is on our curve it will have the form (x,y,x^2+y^2). So now we have our distance formula:

D = sqrt((x-x0)^2 + (y-y0)^2 + (z-z0)^2), plug our information into get

D = sqrt((x-3)^2 + y^2 + (x^2 + y^2)^2)

So now you differentiate D with respect to x, then differentiate with respect to y.

Get your points, figure out if they are min, max or saddle.

I guess I understand how this works... but it seems like it gets really complicated. Normally our professor doesn't give us abnormally tedious calculations.

[tex]D_x,y = (6*y^3+(-18*x^2+35*x+3)*y)*sqrt(y^4+(2*x^2+1)*y^2+x^4+x^2-6*x+9)/(y^8+(4*x^2+2)*y^6+(6*x^4+6*x^2-12*x+19)*y^4+(4*x^6+6*x^4-24*x^3+38*x^2-12*x+18)*y^2+x^8+2*x^6-12*x^5+19*x^4-12*x^3+54*x^2-108*x+81)[/tex]

Then I find all of the roots, and there should be one minimum?

I don't see the complication, if your point is a min/max of D it will also be min/max of D^2 so now let's say

[tex] \bar{D} = D^{2} = (x-3)^{2} + y^{2} + (x^{2} + y^{2})^{2} [/tex]

So now differentiate and you get

[tex] \bar{D}_{x} = 2(x-3) + 4x(x^2 + y^2); \bar{D}_{y} = 2y + 4y(x^2 + y^2) [/tex]

Each one must equal 0 therefore [tex] x^2 + y^2 = \frac{3-x}{2x} [/tex] and [tex] x^2 + y^2 = -\frac{1}{2} [/tex] (provided y <> 0 remember to treat this case separately)

Can you proceed from here?

AH! I understand now. I don't know what I was trying to do by trying to find [tex]D_x_y[/tex].

Thanks for explaining.

You will need [tex] D_{xy} [/tex] or my [tex] \bar{D}_{xy} [/tex] to test for min/max/saddle.

1. How do you define a point and a curve in this context?

In this context, a point refers to a specific location on a two-dimensional coordinate system, while a curve refers to a line or shape on that coordinate system. The point and the curve can be represented by their respective coordinates, such as (x, y) for the point and y = f(x) for the curve.

2. What does POI stand for?

POI stands for Point of Intersection. It is the point at which the given point and curve intersect perpendicularly.

3. Why is finding the perpendicular POI important?

In mathematics and physics, perpendicular lines or vectors play a crucial role in determining the relationship between two objects. Finding the perpendicular POI can help in calculating distances, angles, and other properties of the given point and curve, which can be useful in various applications.

4. What are the steps to find the perpendicular POI?

The steps to find the perpendicular POI include:

• 1. Find the slope of the given curve at the point of intersection using calculus.
  • 2. Calculate the negative reciprocal of the slope to get the slope of the line perpendicular to the curve.
  • 3. Use the slope and the coordinates of the given point to write the equation of the perpendicular line.
  • 4. Solve the system of equations formed by the curve and the perpendicular line to find the coordinates of the POI.

5. Can you provide an example of finding the perpendicular POI?

Sure, let's say we have a point (2, 4) and a curve y = x^2. To find the perpendicular POI, we first find the slope of the curve at x = 2 using calculus, which is 4. The slope of the line perpendicular to the curve would be -1/4. So, the equation of the perpendicular line would be y = -1/4x + b. To find b, we can use the fact that the line passes through (2, 4). Plugging in the values, we get 4 = -1/4(2) + b, which gives us b = 4. The perpendicular line's equation is y = -1/4x + 4. Solving this equation with the curve y = x^2, we get the coordinates of the POI as (1.6, 2.56).