Help Incline Plane Acceleration Vehicle Friction Distance

In summary, the problem at hand is calculating the distance a car (m = 1498.95 kg) can travel while constantly accelerating uphill (15 degrees incline) from 0 to 43 mph (69.2 km/h) and from 5 to 43 mph (8 to 69.2 km/h) on a wet and snowy road. The car's acceleration is limited by the static and dynamic friction coefficients of 0.6 and 0.4 respectively. Additional data that may be needed includes the acceleration times of the car from 0-60 mph (0-97 km/h) and 0-43 mph (69.2 km/h) on a dry road, as well as the equations for calculating
istodorov
Hello. I am new to this forum. I am a chemist. Physics is not my strength. Recently, I got a speeding ticket and I have to do some simple calculations in order to silence my mind. The problem is the following:

A car (m = 1498.95 kg) is constantly accelerating uphill (15 degrees incline) from:

a) 0 to 43 mph (69.2 km/h)
b) 5 to 43 mph (8 to 69.2 km/h)

The road is wet and it is snowing.

Static and dynamic friction coefficients are 0.6 and 0.4, respectively.

The acceleration time of the car from 0-60 mph (0-97 km/h) on a dry road is 8 seconds.
The acceleration time of the car from 0-43 mph (69.2 km/h) on a dry road is 5.73 seconds.

What distance the car would travel in both cases?
Is there any other data that I have to provide? Can you also include the equations that have to be used in order to solve this problem? Thank you so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
This is an odd problem. Why would the distance the car travels be limited? If it can get sufficient grip on the road to accelerate, it should be able to keep on going at that same acceleration until something radical happens, such as reaching the top of the hill, running out of gas or exceeding the speed of light. Surely the answer is either zero or infinity for the distance.

It would be interesting to calculate the accelerations in the two cases, perhaps using
v = .5at^2. Also interesting to see what maximum acceleration the grip (friction) allows on the 15 degree hill. That is a complicated problem involving the component of the force of gravity acting down the hill as compared to the force of friction.

The car accelerates to 43 mph and stops accelerating. The critical point that I released the gas pedal and the the car was moving due to inertia. I made left turn and started accelerating uphill in these conditions (wet snow i.e. a lot of friction) I want to know is it is physically possible a car with this mass to accelerate to 43 mph in a 15 uphill in about 250-350 feet where the police car moving towards me clocked me with this speed.

A 15 degree incline is enormous. That's a 27% grade: it ascends just under 100 feet over the length you are discussing.

To compare, the steepest grade on a paved road in the US is (according to the web) 13%.

I am sorry. I've mistaken % incline with degrees. It is 8 degrees. Approx 15 % incline

1. How does an inclined plane help with acceleration?

An inclined plane allows an object to move up or down at a slower rate, which reduces the force needed for acceleration. This is because the angle of the incline decreases the amount of work needed to move the object, making it easier to accelerate.

2. What role does friction play in an inclined plane?

Friction is the force that resists motion between two objects in contact. In an inclined plane, friction helps to slow down the object's movement and prevents it from sliding down too quickly. This allows for a controlled acceleration and makes it easier to measure the object's distance and speed.

3. How does the distance of the incline affect the acceleration of a vehicle?

The longer the incline, the longer the distance the vehicle has to accelerate, which allows for a more gradual increase in speed. This helps to prevent the vehicle from accelerating too quickly and losing control. However, a longer incline also means more work is required to move the vehicle, which can affect its acceleration.

4. Can incline planes be used to accelerate heavy objects?

Yes, incline planes can be used to accelerate heavy objects. The angle of the incline and the amount of friction present will determine the ease of acceleration for the object. In general, a steeper angle and less friction will result in a faster acceleration for heavy objects.

5. How is the acceleration of a vehicle on an inclined plane calculated?

The acceleration of a vehicle on an inclined plane can be calculated using the formula a = gsinθ, where "a" is the acceleration, "g" is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and "θ" is the angle of the incline. This formula assumes there is no friction present on the incline.