PF PHOTO CONTEST - I'm on fire (jan17-24)

In summary, the photographer wanted to take a picture of the fireplace from the front but the door was in the way. They removed the door to take the picture and the reflections in the glass made it difficult to see.
matthyaouw
Gold Member
I'm on fire!
Photos featuring bonfires, fireplaces, candles... as long as something's burning, your photo is in.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Physics news on Phys.org
What about fireworks?

Zz.

PICT0095.jpg

One to get the ball rolling. This typifies student life in Manc.

brewnog said:
PICT0095.jpg

Could be those SOX that started that fire, poor guy...

Lacy33 said:
Could be those SOX that started that fire, poor guy...

Don't knock my socks.

brewnog said:
Don't knock my socks.

I'm NOT knocking your sox. My husband and I both have a pair. But we can't start fires with them.

beachfire.jpg

Beach bonfire! Waaaa I want summer back!

Gingerbread House on Fire

houseonfire.jpg

Edit: I'm resizing it! don't disqualify me yet!

Edit Edit: Size good now?

OMG the poor Gingerbread men!

Chi Meson said:
Gingerbread House on Fire

houseonfire.jpg

Edit: I'm resizing it! don't disqualify me yet!

Edit Edit: Size good now?

That looks like the building was torched for the insurance. Did "they" investigate?

ZapperZ said:
What about fireworks?

Zz.

Hadn't thought about them but they burn, so sure thing :smile:

P7042531.jpg

This one's one my deviantART, I call it plasma.

Binzing, how did you do that? Sparklers? I can't quite figure it out.

Its a slower shutter speed photo of a fountain (like firework fountain)

Lacy33 said:
That looks like the building was torched for the insurance. Did "they" investigate?
The gingerbread claims adjusters arrived the next day, but one fell into the KitchenAid. You should have seen the other one run, run, run, as fast as he could.

Chi Meson said:
The gingerbread claims adjusters arrived the next day, but one fell into the KitchenAid. You should have seen the other one run, run, run, as fast as he could.
No! Not the Gumdrop Buttons!

Grilling Malaysian satay... YUM!

img1784yk1.jpg

Zz.

Now, what it is that?

10rth7q.jpg

spoiler

Just need a 100mm macro lens.

Good one, I was completely clueless,

I can't help looking at spoilers... wow!

Andre said:
Now, what it is that?

10rth7q.jpg

spoiler

Just need a 100mm macro lens.

OH Andre, Andre! I so needed this view. Thank you so much.

I could tell what that one was without much thought, maybe its the years of playing with those things that that picture is a part of.

Fiery food!
Picture043-1.jpg

Nihon066.jpg

Kind of lame, but hey it's worth a shot =)

marzena_on_fire.jpg

A small flame.

marcin_on_fire.jpg

Cozy :smile:

But not exactly true, I had to remove fireplace front door to avoid showing myself reflected in the glass.

And I have just learned how my 28-105 distorts the picture, somehow I had never earlier took a picture of something exactly rectangular.

And in the case you haven't guessed yet, that's the same fireplace Marzena used to took her picture.

Last edited:
Hmm, seems like a polarizing filter would have made that easier Borek.

binzing said:
Hmm, seems like a polarizing filter would have made that easier Borek.

No, polarizing filter doesn't work for direct reflections. Google Brewster's angle.

Ah, either way its moot now. Nice simple shot.

brewnog said:
PICT0095.jpg

Those are some sweet socks! Where can I get a pair?

mcknia07 said:
Those are some sweet socks! Where can I get a pair?

You can steal them off your housemate.

Borek said:
Good one, I was completely clueless,

what a setup.

There is a metal box in my living room. I put wood in it and set the wood on fire. The wood burns and it warms me up. 28-135mm at full zoom and 1/60th sec.
fire.jpg

brewnog said:
You can steal them off your housemate.

And since I don't have a housemate...lol, can I just steal yours?

1. What is the theme of the PF PHOTO CONTEST for January 17-24?

The theme for this contest is "I'm on fire". We are looking for photos that capture the essence of fire, whether it's a blazing inferno or a small flickering flame.

2. How do I enter the PF PHOTO CONTEST?

To enter the contest, simply post your photo on Instagram with the hashtag #PFPHOTOCONTEST and tag @PFSCIENCE. Make sure your account is public so we can see your submission.

3. Can I submit more than one photo to the contest?

Yes, you are allowed to submit multiple photos to the contest. However, please make sure each photo is unique and follows the theme of "I'm on fire".

4. Who can participate in the PF PHOTO CONTEST?

The PF PHOTO CONTEST is open to anyone who has an Instagram account and follows @PFSCIENCE. We welcome submissions from all ages and backgrounds.

5. How are the winners of the PF PHOTO CONTEST determined?

The winners will be chosen by a panel of judges based on the creativity, composition, and adherence to the theme of "I'm on fire". The top three submissions will be announced on our Instagram page and will receive a prize.