Getting Started in Robotics: Books and Kits for Beginners

In summary, the conversation is about someone wanting to get into robotics as a hobby and asking for suggestions on where to start. The speaker suggests checking out societyofrobots.com for tutorials and a website like sparkfun.com for beginner tutorials on programming and microcontrollers. They also recommend starting with a simple kit like the BOE Bot from Parallax and getting involved in a robotics society or contests for additional support and learning opportunities.
darthxepher
Hey,

I want to get into robotics but I don't know where to start. Is there a book I should buy or some kits that i should start with that aren't too expensive. If there are any suggestions on how I could turn this into my hobby please post :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
I thought a good website was societyofrobots.com . He has a ton of tutorials including a how to build an autonomous robot for $50.

Robotics a great hobby that will teach you an incredible amount of skills and knowledge. If you are rather new to electronics and building things in general I would start with a simple kit like the BOE Bot from Parallax.

http://www.parallax.com/tabid/411/Default.aspx

www.sparkfun.com has a lot of good tutorials for beginners to such as programming AVRs and introductions to bluetooth.

phoe02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
And start reading about Microcontrollers. That will help you a lot in robotics and is quite essential.

get in touch with someone who knows the stuff.

Do you have any society around? any contests? they can be really helpful when starting

What are some good books for beginners in robotics?

Some good books for beginners in robotics include "Robot Building for Beginners" by David Cook, "Make: Electronics" by Charles Platt, and "Beginning Robotics" by Cameron and Tracey Hughes.

What are some recommended robotics kits for beginners?

Some recommended robotics kits for beginners include the Lego Mindstorms EV3 kit, the Makeblock mBot robot kit, and the Arduino starter kit.

Can I learn robotics without any prior experience in coding or electronics?

Yes, there are beginner-friendly books and kits that provide step-by-step instructions and do not require any prior experience in coding or electronics. However, having some basic knowledge in these areas can be helpful.

What are some important skills to have for someone interested in robotics?

Some important skills to have for someone interested in robotics include problem-solving, critical thinking, creativity, and teamwork. Basic knowledge in coding, electronics, and mechanical engineering can also be beneficial.

Are there any online resources for learning robotics?

Yes, there are many online resources for learning robotics including tutorials, forums, and online courses. Some popular websites include Instructables, RobotShop, and Udemy.