Argon sputtering onto Al(111)

In summary, when researching Ar+ sputtering for sample cleaning and annealing, one should focus on determining the proper voltage and gas density ratio, the angle of bombardment, and maintaining a low pressure in the chamber.
Monkone
I'm attempting to research information on Ar+ sputtering on a sample of Al(111) in UHV (10-10mbar region) for the purpose of sample cleaning in conjunction with annealing, however I've hit a bit of a block.

My main method of research has been to trawl through journal after journal to get pointers from what others have done only I've not actually been able to find any information that really helps.

Can anyone explain to me what I am supposed to take into account in this. For example, how I would go about establishing the ratio of voltage to gas density in a dc sputtering system and the angle at which the target would need to be bombarded from.

My apologies for not using the template provided.

Physics news on Phys.org
The most important factor to consider in Ar+ sputtering on a sample of Al(111) in UHV (10-10mbar region) for the purpose of sample cleaning in conjunction with annealing is the ratio of voltage to gas density in the dc sputtering system. The voltage should be high enough to create a plasma and enable sputtering, but low enough to avoid damage to the target surface. Generally, a DC voltage of 0.5-1kV is used, depending on the size of the chamber and the pressure of the gas. Additionally, the angle at which the target should be bombarded from should be determined, as this will determine the efficiency of the sputtering process. Generally, an angle of 45 degrees is used. Finally, it is important to consider the total pressure of the chamber. For UHV conditions, this should be kept low, usually 10-10mbar, to ensure a clean environment for sputtering and annealing.

1. What is the purpose of sputtering Argon onto Al(111)?

The purpose of sputtering Argon onto Al(111) is to create a thin film of Argon atoms on the surface of the aluminum substrate. This process is commonly used in the production of semiconductors and other electronic devices.

2. How does Argon sputtering onto Al(111) work?

Argon sputtering onto Al(111) involves bombarding the surface of the aluminum substrate with high energy Argon ions. These ions collide with the surface, knocking off atoms of aluminum and depositing a layer of Argon atoms on top.

3. What are the benefits of using Argon sputtering onto Al(111)?

There are several benefits to using Argon sputtering onto Al(111), including the ability to control the thickness and composition of the deposited film, as well as the ability to create highly uniform and smooth surfaces. Additionally, using Argon as a sputtering gas can reduce the likelihood of contamination compared to other gases.

4. Are there any challenges or limitations when using Argon sputtering onto Al(111)?

One of the main challenges of using Argon sputtering onto Al(111) is achieving a uniform and well-adhered film. This can be influenced by factors such as the energy and angle of the sputtering ions, as well as the substrate temperature. Additionally, the use of Argon can be expensive and may require specialized equipment.

5. What other applications can Argon sputtering onto Al(111) be used for?

In addition to its use in the production of electronic devices, Argon sputtering onto Al(111) has other applications such as creating anti-reflective coatings on glass surfaces and depositing thin films for optical and solar cell applications. It can also be used in the study of surface phenomena and in the development of new materials.