What Industries Hire Physics Masters?

In summary, Pretty much the thread title. What kinds of industries tend to hire people with a Masters in Physics? Especially Engineering and Applied Physics.
Vingo Jones
Pretty much the thread title. What kinds of industries tend to hire people with a Masters in Physics? Especially Engineering and Applied Physics.

I understand programming is a common job for Physics graduates? If I wanted to do that, should I look for something with a computational focus?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there,

Do you want a list of fields where scientist worked, or a list of firms that do so.

Let's say, apart from Universities and research centers (who would want to do that, beurk/just kidding), and the field that you choose for you studies, I would say you have a good chance in industries that deal with energy, like hydropower, nuclear power. You might also be interested in applied computer science (which Google is desperatly looking for good scientist with a fair background in programming).

If you think your feed up with science, and would like to redirect your future career into finance, a fair amount of scientist are working for banks and insurance companies. Specially with the crisis we are going through, financial institutions are looking like never before for scientist.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Are financial institutions looking for scientists still? There's a strong argument that financial models taken too far got us into this mess. No one could understand them except for the rocket scientists who invented them, and they forgot to take sufficient reality checks. So now bank bosses need to, and hopefully are being forced to, understand the systems they are running. We need to go back to simple systems, and so few scientists are necessary--maybe just a few professors and government officials to stop the banks being over-complicated idiots again. Meanwhile, young physicists, don't go into banking to develop complicated/stupid models. When the economy collapses again in twenty years time just think how guilty you will feel! You will become a pariah like today's bankers. Instead, if you can't get into physics research, why not teach physics? Teachers are always admired.

Aerospace does. But that industry is about to take a hit in the US since the government will HAVE to cut back and that is the logical starting place.

mal4mac said:
Are financial institutions looking for scientists still? There's a strong argument that financial models taken too far got us into this mess.

From what I can see, scientist are still very wanted in the financial industry. Just need to look at the different sites of banks and you will find many jobs posted out for scientist.

I don't believe the mess we're into comes from the devilish mind of a few scientist, but from overlooking the risk factors taken by some institutions. It gives a very good lesson to these institutions as not to take the safety guidelines given by some firm, as good as they are.

If these institutions want to get out of trouble, they will have to take a certain amount of risk, no matter. Scientist can help understanding the risk factor taken.

mal4mac said:
why not teach physics? Teachers are always admired.

Teaching is a very interesting job (I can tell, I have been a teacher for 7 years). I can also say that it is not made for everyone. After a while, one can get into a routine, and don't find any challenges anymore.

But if you are made for it, it's a pretty good job.

Cheers

I would opt for more young physics teachers but the pay isn't as great as you could get working in a private institution. Private institutions tend to pay more money than governmental jobs. As for you question, I think I can help a bit. I am always on newscientist looking at the different careers for my individual interests. Here is what I found for master level physicists...

http://preview.tinyurl.com/d99uhj

as for what industries would hire you governmental, private, and nonprofit industries would hire physicists like you. The link I posted is an industry based company. You should check them out as they are looking for talented people.

(Don't mind the link though as it is not a virus or anything, it is a firefox extension that shortens long urls).

Also, go here...

http://www.newscientistjobs.com/jobs/default.aspx

hit anything that you studied in college and then how much you want to make and see the job listings spring up.

Some jobs, those with a higher pay, require experience in the field but you could still try. I hope I was of some help. :)

Thanks all for your responses.

I ought to add that I don't actually have a Masters, just a Bachelors. I'm considering getting a Masters and am trying to decide what type to pursue. The purpose of my question was to help me decided. I guess I shouldn't go too much into that because it's off topic for the forum.

fatra2 said:
From what I can see, scientist are still very wanted in the financial industry. Just need to look at the different sites of banks and you will find many jobs posted out for scientist.

I don't believe the mess we're into comes from the devilish mind of a few scientist, but from overlooking the risk factors taken by some institutions. It gives a very good lesson to these institutions as not to take the safety guidelines given by some firm, as good as they are.

If these institutions want to get out of trouble, they will have to take a certain amount of risk, no matter. Scientist can help understanding the risk factor taken.
Wait wasnt the derivatives group at AIG a huge player in creating the crises and arent derivatives in finance synonymous with physicist/mathematicians.

j93 said:
Wait wasnt the derivatives group at AIG a huge player in creating the crises and arent derivatives in finance synonymous with physicist/mathematicians.

1) Sorta, but not really.

2) Absolutely not.

The jobs I saw one could get with a masters were primarily in defense, but there were some here and there elsewhere.

Honestly, the best way to get a job with a masters is to make sure whatever you work on has applications in industry and make contacts while you're still in the program. I personally found it hard to crack into anything I hadn't had direct experience with, though it can certainly be done.

If I were in your shoes, I'd plan my steps carefully. Vague advice, but important. Don't expect to get a job with a masters; expect to get a job with a masters in which you researched __________.

Edit: The other area, besides defense (though there's obviously some overlap) I spent my time looking for work in was thin films deposition, materials characterization and quality control. I got some bites (this was well over a year ago), and I believe I could have found a job. Most of the options started me out on a very low level - essentially, a technician of some sort. I believe there would have been room for advancement, but I'm lucky and happy to say I'll never have to find out.

Last edited:

What industries hire physics masters?

Many industries seek out individuals with a background in physics, as their skills and knowledge can be applied in a variety of fields. Some of the top industries that hire physics masters include:

• Technology and software development companies
  • Aerospace and defense industry
  • Energy and utilities sector
  • Research and development organizations
  • Financial and consulting firms

These are just a few examples, but physics masters are in demand in many other industries as well.

What job titles are typically available for physics masters?

Physics masters have a wide range of job opportunities available to them. Some common job titles include:

• Research scientist
  • Data analyst
  • Software engineer
  • Operations research analyst
  • Optical engineer

However, there are many other job titles that physics masters may hold depending on their specific skills and interests.

What skills do employers look for in physics masters?

Aside from a strong understanding of physics principles and theories, employers also value the following skills in physics masters:

• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
  • Proficiency in computer programming and data analysis
  • Ability to work independently and in a team
  • Excellent communication skills
  • Attention to detail and accuracy

These skills are highly transferable and can be applied in various roles and industries.

What qualifications do I need to have to be hired as a physics master?

The minimum qualification for a physics master is a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field. However, many employers prefer candidates with a master's or even a Ph.D. in physics. In addition to academic qualifications, having relevant work experience and internships can also be beneficial in the job search.

What are the career growth opportunities for physics masters?

Physics masters have a variety of career growth opportunities available to them. They can advance to higher positions within their field, such as becoming a senior research scientist or a department manager. They can also move into other industries and roles, such as data science, finance, or consulting. Furthermore, many physics masters choose to pursue further education, such as a Ph.D., to expand their opportunities even further.