A Ball, A Wall and Momentum. (How is this incorrect?)

In summary: For B.), I would say that the ball's momentum changes between the time BEFORE it hits the wall to the time it is in CONTACT with the wall and the time it is in CONTACT with the wall. For C.), I would say that the ball's momentum changes between the time it is in CONTACT with the wall and AFTER it makes contact with the wall.
Shamrock87

Homework Statement

This is a fairly straightforward question I'm sure.

I have a ball. This ball has a mass of mass M. I throw this ball with a velocity v against a wall (perfectly along the x-axis (in the positive direction)). Now suppose the ball stays in contact with the wall for a time [tex]\Delta[/tex]t. Then the ball will rebound back perfectly along the x-axis (in the negative direction).

Homework Equations

A.) What is the momentum of the ball [tex]\Delta[/tex]t/2 after originally making contact with the wall?

B.) What is the tennis ball's momentum change between the time BEFORE it hits the wall to the time it is in CONTACT with the wall?

C.) What is the tennis ball's momentum change between the time it is in CONTACT with the wall and AFTER it makes contact with the wall?

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, for A.) I would say something like this:

Firstly I would model the ball and wall as an isolated system. Secondly since it is moving perfectly along the x-axis I would then say:

p=mv

And according conservation of momentum I am lead to believe that the momentum of the ball at [tex]\Delta[/tex]t/2 is mv.

But I am not confident.

B.) Next I am lead to believe that the change in momentum BEFORE it hits the wall and while it's in CONTACT with the wall is 0 because of conservation of momentum.

C.) I come to the same conclusion as in B.

Physics news on Phys.org
Shamrock87 said:
>
>
p=mv

And according conservation of momentum I am lead to believe that the momentum of the ball at [tex]\Delta[/tex]t/2 is mv.

When Sir Isaac Newton first formulated his laws of motion, he defined force in terms of a change in momentum. F was defined in terms of [tex]\Delta[/tex]p over [tex]\Delta[/tex]t. His first law of motion says, "A body at rest tends to stay at rest, and a body in motion tends to stay in motion, unless acted upon by a force." In other words, momentum stays constant, UNLESS the system is acted upon by a force (like, for instance, the normal force of a wall). Momentum can and does change.

Have you covered the 'Impulse-Momentum Theorem' yet?

Well, in this summer course we haven't so much covered this as skipped over it and been expected to know it like the back of our hand.

But I took a look around the chapter and sure enough found Impulse. But I should have thougt of this sooner because the project is labeled "Momentum and Impulse".

Ha, thanks for the heads up.

Shamrock87 said:
B.) What is the tennis ball's momentum change between the time BEFORE it hits the wall to the time it is in CONTACT with the wall?

C.) What is the tennis ball's momentum change between the time it is in CONTACT with the wall and AFTER it makes contact with the wall?
While A is clear, these two seem a bit vague. Since contact extends over the time Δt, the statement "the time it is CONTACT" can mean any point along that time interval. Are they referring to the point Δt/2 from part A?

Well, for A.) I would say something like this:

Firstly I would model the ball and wall as an isolated system. Secondly since it is moving perfectly along the x-axis I would then say:

p=mv

But I am not confident.
Looking at the ball alone, is momentum conserved? What must be the ball's speed at Δt/2?

What is "A Ball, A Wall and Momentum" about?

"A Ball, A Wall and Momentum" is a common misconception that states that when a ball collides with a wall, its momentum is conserved and the ball will bounce back with the same speed and direction as before the collision. This is incorrect because in reality, the ball will lose some of its momentum due to factors such as friction and air resistance.

Why is this misconception incorrect?

This misconception is incorrect because it does not take into account external forces acting on the ball, such as friction and air resistance, which can decrease the ball's momentum. In addition, the wall itself exerts a force on the ball, causing it to change direction and lose some of its momentum.

How does the conservation of momentum actually work in this scenario?

In reality, the conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a system before and after a collision remains constant, but individual objects within the system may experience changes in momentum due to external forces. In the case of a ball colliding with a wall, the total momentum of the ball and the wall before the collision will be equal to the total momentum of the ball bouncing off the wall after the collision.

What other factors can impact the momentum of a ball colliding with a wall?

Besides external forces like friction and air resistance, other factors that can impact the momentum of a ball colliding with a wall include the elasticity of the ball and the type of surface it is colliding with. A more elastic ball will bounce back with more of its original momentum, while a less elastic ball will lose more momentum upon collision. The type of surface the ball collides with can also affect its momentum, as a softer surface will absorb more of the ball's momentum compared to a harder surface.

How can we demonstrate the correct understanding of momentum in this scenario?

To demonstrate the correct understanding of momentum in this scenario, we can perform experiments with different types of balls and surfaces, measuring the changes in momentum before and after the collision. We can also use mathematical equations and principles, such as the law of conservation of momentum, to accurately predict the outcome of the collision. Additionally, we can use real-world examples, such as a car crash, to show how external forces can impact the momentum of objects in motion.