Good undergrad physics programs

In summary, a high school senior is struggling to find good college options for physics programs in the Midwest. They mention their academic record, extracurriculars, and list some schools they are considering, including UIUC, UChicago, Wisconsin, Michigan, Northwestern, and Michigan State. Other suggestions for physics programs include Grinnell, Carleton, Oberlin, and the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities. The cost of living in Minneapolis is discussed, with options for on-campus apartments being recommended. The conversation also mentions Carleton's switch to having all students live on campus and the overall expense of attending the school.
elg0rillo
I'm a high school senior looking into colleges and I'm having trouble picking out good choices for physics programs. I live in Chicago and I'm looking into schools around the Midwest.

My record
ACT:32
GPA: 94.2 (My school is weird and they don't like the 4.0 scale)
My course load is pretty rigorous. In math I've taken algebra I through precalc at my school with Calc I over the summer at my cc (I got a B) and Calc II and III. This year I'll being taking 4 AP classes including chem. I've taken 2 already (they were just history though).
My EC's are lackluster though.

UIUC and UChicago are obvious picks, but what other schools are there which have a good physics program?

Physics news on Phys.org
Wisconsin, Michigan, Northwestern, Michigan State. (I assume you're looking at large schools, based on UIUC and Chicago).

And if you're also considering smaller schools, Grinnell (Iowa), Carleton (Minnesota), and Oberlin (Ohio).

Speaking from experience, I'd say the physics program at the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities did an excellent job of preparing me for grad school. I have a friend from Carleton who's also in grad school, and it would seem the program there is really good too.

arunma said:
Speaking from experience, I'd say the physics program at the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities did an excellent job of preparing me for grad school. I have a friend from Carleton who's also in grad school, and it would seem the program there is really good too.

So you say the university is good? How cheap are living costs there?

A 1 bedroom in Minneapolis usually runs about $500-$600 per month. It can be cheaper if you live in a house with roommates. There's also the dorms. Dorms are about the same cost, except that you're living in a small room with a roommate and have zero privacy. The upside is that you get a nine-month contract instead of a twelve-month. My recommendation is to live in an on-campus apartment. It's more expensive and you only get one room, but you have a kitchenette and no roommate (at least no roommate who shares the bedroom with you). And more importantly, you aren't required to have a meal plan in the on-campus apartments.

Unfortunately I don't know anything about Northfield, since I didn't go to Carleton.

arunma said:
A 1 bedroom in Minneapolis usually runs about $500-$600 per month. It can be cheaper if you live in a house with roommates. There's also the dorms. Dorms are about the same cost, except that you're living in a small room with a roommate and have zero privacy. The upside is that you get a nine-month contract instead of a twelve-month. My recommendation is to live in an on-campus apartment. It's more expensive and you only get one room, but you have a kitchenette and no roommate (at least no roommate who shares the bedroom with you). And more importantly, you aren't required to have a meal plan in the on-campus apartments.

Unfortunately I don't know anything about Northfield, since I didn't go to Carleton.

I see...Thanks for the advice.

I did go to Carleton. It's a great school and I had a wonderful time (I did math, not physics). Carleton is switching toward having everyone live on campus, so you would have to check their website to find those rates. You will find that, while Northfield itself is pretty cheap, attending Carleton is pretty expensive.

1. What are the key factors to consider when choosing a good undergrad physics program?

Some key factors to consider are the program's curriculum and course offerings, faculty and research opportunities, the availability of internships and hands-on experience, and the overall reputation and rankings of the program.

2. How important is the quality of faculty in a good undergrad physics program?

The quality of faculty is crucial in a good undergrad physics program. Experienced and knowledgeable professors can provide valuable guidance and mentorship, as well as facilitate research opportunities and networking connections for students.

3. Are there any specific resources or facilities that a good undergrad physics program should have?

A good undergrad physics program should have access to state-of-the-art laboratories, research facilities, and technology, as well as resources for students such as tutoring services, study groups, and academic advising.

4. What are some notable universities with strong undergrad physics programs?

Some notable universities with strong undergrad physics programs include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), California Institute of Technology (Caltech), Harvard University, Stanford University, and University of California, Berkeley.

5. Can a good undergrad physics program prepare me for a career in a different field?

Yes, a good undergrad physics program can provide a strong foundation in critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills that are transferable to many different fields, such as engineering, finance, data science, and more.