Solving Recurrence Relation: a_n=\frac{a_{n-5}}{n(n-1)}

In summary, the conversation revolved around a user's attempt at solving a recurrence relation in order to find a series solution to a differential equation. The user had made progress in finding a general formula for the terms, but was struggling to find a more concise expression for a factor in the denominator. Suggestions were given to look for patterns in the terms and to consider the original differential equation for any insights. Overall, the user was seeking help and advice in finding a solution to the problem.
naes213

Homework Statement

Got this recurrence relation when trying to solve for a series solution to a differential equation: [tex]a_n=\frac{a_{n-5}}{n(n-1)} , a_0,a_1=constant , a_2,a_3,a_4=0[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at a solution involved first writing out all the terms which led to the pattern [tex]a_5=\frac{a_0}{5\cdot4}[/tex] and [tex]a_6=\frac{a_1}{6\cdot5}[/tex] and [tex] a_{10}=\frac{a_0}{10\cdot9\cdot5\cdot4}...a_{15}=\frac{a_0}{15\cdot14\cdot10\cdot9\cdot5\cdot4}[/tex]

I ended up with [tex] a_n=\frac{a_0}{5^n \cdot n!}[/tex] missing something on the bottom which as far as I can tell is [tex](5(n)-1)(5(n-1)-1)(5(n-2)-1)...[/tex]
The problem is that i can't figure out a more concise simple expression for this last part. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your attempt at solving this recurrence relation. It looks like you have made good progress in finding a pattern and a general formula for the terms. However, as you have mentioned, there seems to be a factor missing in the denominator.

In order to find a more concise expression for this last factor, I would suggest looking at the pattern of the terms in the numerator. It seems that each term in the numerator is decreasing by 5, starting with a_0 and then a_1, a_2, a_3, etc. Can you think of a way to incorporate this pattern into the denominator? Maybe by using a factorial or a similar operation?

Another approach could be to look at the original differential equation and see if there are any properties or relationships that could help in finding a more concise expression for the denominator. It might also be helpful to consult with your classmates or professor for any tips or insights.

I hope this helps and good luck with your solution! Keep up the good work in tackling this challenging problem.

1. What is a recurrence relation?

A recurrence relation is a mathematical equation that defines a sequence of values based on the previous terms in the sequence. It is a way to recursively define a sequence and is often used to model real-world phenomena.

2. How do you solve a recurrence relation?

The first step in solving a recurrence relation is to identify the pattern and write out a few terms of the sequence. Then, you can use substitution or iteration to find a closed-form formula for the nth term. Alternatively, you can use generating functions or matrix methods to solve more complex recurrence relations.

3. What is the purpose of solving recurrence relations?

Solving recurrence relations allows us to find a general formula for a sequence, which can then be used to calculate any term in the sequence. This can be useful in understanding the behavior of a sequence and predicting future values.

4. How do you know if you have solved a recurrence relation correctly?

A recurrence relation is considered solved if a closed-form formula has been found that accurately calculates all terms in the sequence. The formula should also match the initial conditions of the sequence, such as the first few terms or a general starting point.

5. Can recurrence relations be used in other fields besides mathematics?

Yes, recurrence relations have many applications in other fields such as computer science, physics, and engineering. They can be used to model and analyze various phenomena, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and algorithmic complexity.