Finding an Orthogonal Vector and Calculating Triangle Area from Given Points

In summary, the problem asks to find a nonzero vector orthogonal to a plane passing through three given points and to find the area of the triangle formed by those points. The cross product is important in solving this problem, as it can be used to find a vector perpendicular to the plane. The cross product is computed by taking the determinant of a 3x3 matrix composed of the unit vectors and the given vectors. The resulting vector will be perpendicular to the plane and can be used to find the area of the triangle using the geometric definition of the cross product.
TG3
Homework Statement

Find a nonzero vector orthogonal to the plane through points P (0, -2, 0) Q (4, 1, -2) and R (5,3,1) and find the area of the triangle formed by PQR.

The attempt at a solution
To be honest, I am not entirely sure how to do this problem. I've looked through my textbook and notes, but there is no example that is of the same form of this problem. However, I suspect the cross product is important:

PQ has a vector of <4,3,-2>
RP has a vector of <5,5,1>

Trying to find the cross product I get:
(3--6) - (4-10) + (20 - 15)
Equals 20.

Is that right, and what do I do from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're on the right track. Those 2 vectors you have are parallel to your plane. If you compute the cross product between them, you will get a new vector perpendicular to the 2 vectors and hence perpendicular to the plane. Do you know how to compute the cross product? What you get should be a vector. The next bit relies on the geometric definition of the cross product.

Go over on computing the cross product as it's all you'll need.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_product

Wow, epic fail. Thanks!

What is an orthogonal vector to a plane?

An orthogonal vector to a plane is a vector that is perpendicular, or at a right angle, to all vectors within the plane.

How do you find an orthogonal vector to a plane?

To find an orthogonal vector to a plane, you can use the cross product of two non-parallel vectors within the plane. The resulting vector will be perpendicular to both of the original vectors and therefore, orthogonal to the plane.

Can there be more than one orthogonal vector to a plane?

Yes, there can be an infinite number of orthogonal vectors to a plane. This is because there are an infinite number of vectors that can be perpendicular to a given plane.

What is the relationship between an orthogonal vector and a normal vector to a plane?

An orthogonal vector is a type of normal vector to a plane. A normal vector is any vector that is perpendicular to the plane, while an orthogonal vector specifically means a vector that is perpendicular to all vectors within the plane.

How is the concept of an orthogonal vector to a plane used in real-world applications?

The concept of an orthogonal vector to a plane is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to represent forces, determine angles and distances, and create 3D models and animations.