Determining mutated, mRNA, Amino Acid sequence

In summary, the conversation discusses a mutation in a DNA template and its effect on the corresponding mRNA and amino acid sequences. The mutant sequence, caused by a deletion at nucleotide 7, results in a completely different amino acid sequence. The conversation also explains the impact of the deletion on the mRNA sequence and how it affects the ribosome's ability to continue adding amino acids.
sonyab523
I was wondering if I did something wrong with the deletion, it seems pretty self explanatory but I just want to make sure I did this right. The filled in answers are in bold And I'm completely lost with the Amino Acid sequence, my TA did this in class and I still don't get it.

Sequence of DNA template: 3'- TAC TGG CCG TTA GTT GAT ATA ACT-5'
Nucleotide number --> 1__________________________________23

Mutant 2: A one-nucleotide deletion at nucleotide 7

Original sequence: 3'-TAC TGG CCG TTA GRR GAT ATA ACT-5'

Mutated Sequence: TAC TGG CG TTA GRR GAT ATA ACT

mRNA Sequence: AUG ACC GC AAU CAA CUA UAU UGA

Amino Acid Sequence: met thr ? ser gln lev tyr

Physics news on Phys.org
The deletion is far more devastating to the amino acid sequence than that. You need to regroup the mRNA bases in threes after the deletion:
mRNA Sequence: AUG ACC GCA AUC AAC UAU AUU GA
Which gives an amino acid sequence of:
Met Thr Ala Ile Asn Tyr Ile
with the GA left over. If this were part of a longer mRNA strand, the ribosome would continue adding amino acids until it hit a stop codon or until it ran out of mRNA.

What is the process for determining a mutated mRNA sequence?

The process for determining a mutated mRNA sequence involves several steps. First, the DNA sequence is transcribed into mRNA. Then, the mRNA sequence is translated into an amino acid sequence using the genetic code. Finally, the amino acid sequence is compared to a known, unmutated sequence to identify any changes or mutations.

How are mutations identified in an mRNA sequence?

Mutations in an mRNA sequence can be identified by comparing it to a reference or unmutated sequence. Any differences or changes in the nucleotide sequence can indicate a mutation. Additionally, specialized software and tools can be used to analyze the sequence and identify mutations.

What is the significance of a mutated mRNA sequence?

A mutated mRNA sequence can have various implications, depending on the type and location of the mutation. It can lead to changes in the resulting amino acid sequence, potentially affecting the structure and function of the protein. Mutations can also have consequences for gene expression and may contribute to the development of genetic disorders or diseases.

What is the relationship between mRNA and amino acid sequences?

Messenger RNA (mRNA) is a type of RNA molecule that carries the genetic code from DNA to the ribosomes, where it is translated into an amino acid sequence. The sequence of nucleotides in mRNA determines the order of amino acids in a protein, following the genetic code.

What techniques are used to determine mutated mRNA sequences?

Various techniques can be used to determine mutated mRNA sequences, including PCR (polymerase chain reaction), DNA sequencing, and microarray analysis. These methods involve amplifying and analyzing the DNA or RNA sequence to identify any changes or mutations.