Solving Photonic Crystal Resonance Frequency with Matlab

In summary, Matlab has built-in functions and tools for solving equations and performing numerical simulations, making it suitable for calculating the resonance frequency of photonic crystals. The process involves defining material properties and geometric parameters, using appropriate equations, and visualizing results with plotting tools. Matlab can be used for any type of photonic crystal, but equations and methods may vary. The advantages of using Matlab include its user-friendly interface and vast library of functions, but limitations may include the complexity of the structure and required computational resources, as well as the accuracy of results depending on input parameters and assumptions.
behnam_farzin
Hi,
I research on photonic crystals.I want to compute resonance frequency for single cylinder scattering.
I use the below expression :

J'(nkr)H(kr)-J(nkr)H'(kr)=0

J:bessel and H:hankel function.

but I can't achieve correct result by write program in Matlab for computing that.

Can you help me ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you should use the program "COMSOL Multiphusics".

Laplas said:
I think you should use the program "COMSOL Multiphusics".

I wonder if he'll reply 5 years later... :smile:

1. How can I use Matlab to solve the resonance frequency of photonic crystals?

Matlab has built-in functions and tools specifically designed for solving equations and performing numerical simulations. These can be used to solve the complex mathematical equations involved in determining the resonance frequency of photonic crystals.

2. What is the process for solving photonic crystal resonance frequency with Matlab?

The first step is to define the material properties and geometric parameters of the photonic crystal. Then, using the appropriate equations, the resonance frequency can be calculated using Matlab's functions for solving complex equations and performing numerical simulations. The results can be visualized using plotting tools within Matlab.

3. Can I calculate the resonance frequency of any type of photonic crystal using Matlab?

Yes, Matlab can be used to solve for the resonance frequency of any type of photonic crystal, including 1D, 2D, and 3D structures. However, the specific equations and methods used may vary depending on the type of photonic crystal being studied.

4. What are the advantages of using Matlab for solving photonic crystal resonance frequency?

Matlab is a powerful and widely used software tool for scientific computing and data analysis. It has a user-friendly interface and a vast library of functions and tools that make it well-suited for solving complex mathematical equations, such as those involved in determining the resonance frequency of photonic crystals.

5. Are there any limitations to using Matlab for solving photonic crystal resonance frequency?

While Matlab is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations when it comes to solving photonic crystal resonance frequency. These limitations may include the complexity of the photonic crystal structure and the computational resources required to solve the equations. Additionally, the accuracy of the results may also depend on the quality of the input parameters and assumptions made in the calculations.