I need some Modern physics text book suggestion

In summary, the individual is a freshman taking a course on Modern Physics and struggling with understanding the wave and particle dual properties of matter and Quantum Mechanics. They missed some classes and are looking for a more descriptive book on the subject. Another individual suggests using internet resources or asking questions instead of buying another book that may not be used in future studies. The original individual prefers physical books over online resources.
i_m_sadiq
Hi
I am in my freshmen year and I am taking a course on Modern Physics. We use the book "Concept of Modern Physics" by Arthur Beiser. I have huge problem understanding the wave and particle dual properties of matter. And now we are about to start Quantum Mechanics. it seems further complicated. I missed some classes in the beginning. So, I missed some important lectures. I need to cover them fast. The book I mentioned is good. yet I miss some key factors in it. So, can anyone please recommend a more descriptive book on this subject

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
why not try to use internet resources for understanding that particular thing better? or just ask questions here?

it seems like a waste of money to buy one more book "just for that" since you will probably never use those "modern physics" book later on in your studies.

ansgar said:
why not try to use internet resources for understanding that particular thing better? or just ask questions here?

it seems like a waste of money to buy one more book "just for that" since you will probably never use those "modern physics" book later on in your studies.

Just saying, I for one much prefer physical books over online/ebooks. Much easier on the eyes.

zooxanthellae said:
Just saying, I for one much prefer physical books over online/ebooks. Much easier on the eyes.

printer

Well, that was embarrassing.

1. What is modern physics?

Modern physics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of the behavior and properties of matter and energy at the atomic and subatomic levels. It includes theories such as quantum mechanics, relativity, and particle physics.

2. Which modern physics text book is best for beginners?

Some popular modern physics text books for beginners include "Introduction to Modern Physics" by John R. Taylor, "Modern Physics: for Scientists and Engineers" by Stephen T. Thornton and Andrew F. Rex, and "Modern Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by John Morrison.

3. Are there any online resources for modern physics?

Yes, there are many online resources for modern physics such as lecture notes, video lectures, and interactive simulations. Some recommended websites include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Physics Classroom.

4. What are the important topics covered in modern physics?

Some important topics covered in modern physics include quantum mechanics, relativity, particle physics, nuclear physics, and cosmology. Other topics may include condensed matter physics, astrophysics, and biophysics.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong background in mathematics for studying modern physics?

Yes, a strong foundation in mathematics is crucial for understanding modern physics concepts and theories. Some important mathematical areas to focus on include calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations.