So embarrased to ask but i hope one of you math gods will take pity on me

• Thread starter physical101
  • Start date
In summary, when finding the derivative of a function with respect to x, you must use implicit differentiation and the chain rule to find the derivative of any terms that include y. This can be done by taking the derivative of each term separately and solving for dy/dx.
physical101
I was wondering if i had a derivative
deltay/deltax
where y=x^2+y^2
would the derivative of the function y be 2x+y^2? or would y also be subject to differentiation?
sorry guys i know this is simple but any help would be great

Physics news on Phys.org
sorry i forgot to mention i think the new function y=2x because y^2 is seen as a constant and as such is treated as being 0

physical101 said:
I was wondering if i had a derivative
deltay/deltax
where y=x^2+y^2
would the derivative of the function y be 2x+y^2? or would y also be subject to differentiation?

The answer you supplied is incorrect. I think you should revisit the topic about implicit differentiation. An important point about this is the use of the so called "chain rule". If you use these steps correctly, you will surely get the answer for [itex]y'[/itex] in terms of [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] in 2 lines.

There are two ways to solve problems like this. You can either solve for y, and differentiate (e.g. if you had the function y=2x-2y you can change this to 3y=2x and then to y=2x/3). If you cannot, or it's too difficult, then you must use implicit differentiation as dickfore mentioned. In simple terms you take the derivative w.r.t. x on all 3 terms separately. When you do it to y, you get dy/dt. When you do it to x^2 you get 2x. What happens when you do it to y^2? Hint: It's OK to have a dy/dx term in there!

Ditto... the easiest approach to finding dy/dx would be to use implicit differentiation. Review the topic, give it a try and let us know what you get.

so would the function be

dy/dx = 2x+dy^2/d^2x?

physical101 said:
so would the function be

dy/dx = 2x+dy^2/d^2x?
No.

Your derivative for y^2 is incorrect. You haven't used the chain rule correctly.
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}y^2 = \frac{d}{dy}(y^2) \frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

Can you continue from here?

Think of it this way: When you differentiate a function, at this level you will be differentiating it with respect to x. dy/dx means(the way I think of it): the derivative of y with respect to x.

So when you take the derivative of, let's say 2x, you are taking the derivative of x with respect to x, dx/dx, which is just 1. So the derivative of 2x is 2(dx/dx) = 2.

It also holds for something like x^3. The derivative of x^3 is actually 3x^2 (dx/dx), which is just 3x^2. You usually don't write dx/dx down since it is 1 and should be understood to be that.

With implicit differentiation, it's the same idea. When you want to take the derivative of something like 1= 2x + 2y implicitly, the derivative will be 0 = 2(dx/dx) + 2(dy/dx) = 2 + 2(dy/dx). dy/dx should look familiar since it's the notation for the derivative, so you would solve for dy/dx. Hopefully this makes sense and should help you solve the problem.

physicsman2 said:
Think of it this way: When you differentiate a function, at this level you will be differentiating it with respect to x. dy/dx means(the way I think of it): the derivative of y with respect to x.
And it is often read this way.
physicsman2 said:
So when you take the derivative of, let's say 2x, you are taking the derivative of x with respect to x, dx/dx, which is just 1. So the derivative of 2x is 2(dx/dx) = 2.
You are taking the derivative of 2x with respect to x; i.e., d(2x)/dx. If you want to look at numerator and denominator separately, using differentials, you have d(2x)/dx = 2dx/dx = 2. This seems a needless complication, IMO.
physicsman2 said:
It also holds for something like x^3. The derivative of x^3 is actually 3x^2 (dx/dx), which is just 3x^2. You usually don't write dx/dx down since it is 1 and should be understood to be that.
I would imagine that the OP is already familiar with the fact that d(x^3)/dx = 3x^2. Adding the factor of dx/dx is again a needless complication, IMO.
physicsman2 said:
With implicit differentiation, it's the same idea. When you want to take the derivative of something like 1= 2x + 2y implicitly, the derivative will be 0 = 2(dx/dx) + 2(dy/dx) = 2 + 2(dy/dx). dy/dx should look familiar since it's the notation for the derivative, so you would solve for dy/dx. Hopefully this makes sense and should help you solve the problem.

Mark44 said:
And it is often read this way.
You are taking the derivative of 2x with respect to x; i.e., d(2x)/dx. If you want to look at numerator and denominator separately, using differentials, you have d(2x)/dx = 2dx/dx = 2. This seems a needless complication, IMO.
I would imagine that the OP is already familiar with the fact that d(x^3)/dx = 3x^2. Adding the factor of dx/dx is again a needless complication, IMO.

Sorry, I was just trying to show why you need a dy/dx when implicitly differentiating after differentiating a term with y. It makes it a little more complicated, but I thought it would make more sense to help see the problem in that way.

What does "So embarrassed to ask but I hope one of you math gods will take pity on me" mean?

This phrase typically means that the person is feeling embarrassed or ashamed to ask a question about math, but is hoping that someone with advanced knowledge in math will be able to help them and show them mercy.

Why do people feel embarrassed to ask questions about math?

Many people feel embarrassed to ask questions about math because they may feel like they should already know the answer or that others will judge them for not understanding. Additionally, math can be seen as a difficult subject and people may feel self-conscious about not understanding it.

What kind of questions are typically asked in forums with titles like "So embarrassed to ask but I hope one of you math gods will take pity on me"?

These forums typically receive questions about specific math problems or concepts that the person is struggling to understand. They may also ask for help with homework or exam preparation.

Why do people seek help from "math gods" on forums like this?

People may seek help from "math gods" on forums like this because they are looking for someone with advanced knowledge and understanding of math to guide them and explain difficult concepts. They may also feel more comfortable asking for help from someone who is anonymous and not a teacher or classmate.

What is the most important thing to remember when seeking help from "math gods" on forums like this?

The most important thing to remember when seeking help from "math gods" on forums is to be respectful and grateful for their assistance. These individuals are taking time out of their day to help others and should be treated with kindness and appreciation.