What are the steps to manipulate this equation and solve for r2?

• Thread starter razmataz
  • Start date
Finally, apply the cube root to both sides to solve for r2. In summary, to solve for r2 in the given equation, you need to eliminate y4, combine the fractions in r1 and r2, replace r1 with f, expand and isolate terms with r2, and finally apply the cube root to both sides to solve for r2, resulting in r2 = ((4n-4)/(4n-5))^(1/3)) * f.
razmataz
I need help gettin from

(n-1)((1/r1^3)-(1/r2^3))(y^4/8) = (y^4/32f^3)

r1 and r2 have the 1 and 2 and subscript and are not numbers.

Question states r1 = f

Supposed to end up with

r2 = ((4n-4)/(4n-5))^(1/3)) * f

Can anyone show me the steps?!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
razmataz said:
I need help gettin from

(n-1)((1/r1^3)-(1/r2^3))(y^4/8) = (y^4/32f^3)

r1 and r2 have the 1 and 2 and subscript and are not numbers.

Question states r1 = f

Supposed to end up with

r2 = ((4n-4)/(4n-5))^(1/3)) * f

Can anyone show me the steps?!

Since y4 appears on both sides, you can eliminate it by dividing both sides by y4 (and assuming that y [itex]\neq[/itex] 0).

Then, combine the two fractions in r1 and r2 on the left side.
Then, replace r1 by f.

Then expand everything on the left side. After that, isolate all terms that involve r2 and divide both sides by the coefficient of r2.

What is equation manipulation and why is it important in scientific research?

Equation manipulation is the process of rearranging mathematical equations to find relationships between variables or to solve for a specific variable. It is important in scientific research because it allows scientists to make predictions and draw conclusions based on the data collected.

How do I know which mathematical operations to use when manipulating an equation?

The operations used in equation manipulation depend on the variables involved and the desired outcome. Some common operations used include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It is important to follow the rules of algebra and to maintain equality throughout the manipulation process.

Can I manipulate an equation to fit my desired outcome?

Equation manipulation should be done with caution and based on sound scientific principles. It is not ethical to manipulate an equation to fit a desired outcome, as this can lead to biased or inaccurate results. It is important to use objective reasoning and to consult with other scientists when manipulating equations.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when manipulating equations?

Some common mistakes in equation manipulation include forgetting to apply the same operation to both sides of the equation, incorrectly applying the distributive property, and forgetting to use the order of operations. It is also important to double-check calculations and to be mindful of units when working with equations.

Can I use computer software to help me manipulate equations?

Yes, there are many computer programs and software tools available to assist with equation manipulation. These tools can help with solving complex equations, graphing, and analyzing data. However, it is important to have a solid understanding of the underlying mathematical principles and to use these tools as aids rather than relying on them completely.