Calculating Geostationary Orbit for a 700kg Meterological Satellite

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of various values related to an experimental meteorological satellite that was placed in geostationary orbit using the launch vehicle Ariane on June 19th, 1981. The first problem involves calculating the radius of the orbit, which can be done using Kepler's law. For the second problem, the linear speed of the satellite is calculated using the formula v=(g*R^2/r)^1/2. The third problem involves calculating the energy required to move the satellite from the surface of the Earth into the geostationary orbit, which can be done using the formula Ek=(mv^2)/2. It is suggested to also consider the initial kinetic energy of the satellite and the work
josephcollins
Hi people, could someone please help with these:

On 19th June 1981, an experimental meterological satellite of mass m=700kg, was placed in a geostationary orbit using the launch vehicle Ariane.
Calculate:

i. The radius of the geostationary orbit given that the period of revolution of the satellite is 23h 56m.

ii. The linear speed of such a satellite.

iii.The energy required to move the satellite from the surface of the Earth into the geostationary orbit.

Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you done so far with the problems?

I used Kepler's law that the cube of the radius of the Earth is proportional to the time of orbit's square, I hope this will work, knowing g=9.8Nkg-1, the mass of the satellite 700kg, the orbit period 86160s and the radius of the Earth 6.37 *10^6. I got an answer of 4.2 *10^7 m. Can someone verify this please?

Then for part 2 I used the formula v=(g*R^2/r)^1/2 with r as the radius of the orbit and R as the radius of the Earth, g equals 9.8Nkg-1. I got 3072.3 ms-1, is this correct?

To put this satellite in orbit I used Ek=(mv^2)/2 to get 3.3*10^9 J.

I'd be grateful if you could check these values. Cheers

For the second part, if you know the radius of the orbit then you know the distance it travels in 1 day (circumference of the circle) so just divide by the number of seconds to get the speed. You can use this to check your answer!

To put the satellite into orbit you also should consider the work done against gravity to lift the satellite. You might also want to consider the initial kinetic energy of the satellite before launch due to the rotation of the Earth.

1. What is a satellite orbit?

A satellite orbit is the path that a satellite follows around a celestial body, such as a planet or moon. It is determined by the gravitational pull of the celestial body and the speed at which the satellite is traveling.

2. How are satellite orbits classified?

Satellite orbits are classified based on their shape and altitude. The three main classifications are low Earth orbit (LEO), medium Earth orbit (MEO), and geostationary orbit (GEO).

3. What factors affect a satellite's orbit?

The main factors that affect a satellite's orbit are the gravitational pull of the celestial body it is orbiting, the satellite's speed and direction of travel, and any external forces such as atmospheric drag.

4. How do scientists calculate satellite orbits?

Scientists use mathematical equations, such as Kepler's laws of planetary motion, to calculate satellite orbits. They also use data from ground stations and tracking systems to monitor and adjust the orbit as needed.

5. Why are some satellite orbits more desirable than others?

Some satellite orbits, such as geostationary orbits, are more desirable because they allow the satellite to remain in a fixed position relative to the Earth's surface. This is useful for communication and weather satellites. Other orbits, such as low Earth orbit, allow for faster coverage of the Earth's surface but require more frequent orbit adjustments.