Photonic band gaps: Incomplete vs complete

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of incomplete band gaps in photonic crystals. The structure being studied is an FCC crystal of spheres with an (111) surface, which is predicted to display an incomplete band gap from the gamma to L points in reciprocal space. The question is how this incomplete band gap behaves compared to a complete band gap, and which parts of light are reflected. The conversation also mentions the challenge of understanding the construction of the x-axis in band diagrams and how to relate reciprocal space to real space. A reference suggests that the incomplete band gap only corresponds to light perpendicular to the surface. The conversation also suggests simplifying the concept by considering a 1D photonic band gap.
Gnomie
Hi all,

I'm currently trying to learn more about photonic band gaps. The material I am looking at is an FCC crystal of spheres with an (111) surface, and this structure is theoretically predicted to display an incomplete band gap from the gamma to L points. (Please see attachment)

Essentially I am trying to figure out how an incomplete band gap actually behaves compared to a complete band gap. A complete band gap of course reflects light of all angles of incidence while an incomplete does not. But which parts of the light actually gets reflected? For example, is it such that all light within a "cone" gets reflected (much like diffracted orders)? How can I translate the band structure information into actual real-space angles?

Thank you for your time,

Gnomie

Attachments

• Fcc_brillouin.png
    Fcc_brillouin.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 518
Physics news on Phys.org
If there is no gap at point L for example, it means a beam with a wavevector in the L direction will not reflect. You then need to take the reciprocal vector to find the direction in real space.

The range of directions depends on the specific band structure. It can be somewhat like a cone, but I imagine a cone where the base is not necessarily a circle.

And remember the L direction includes its symmetries, so in that attached diagram, there are 8 symmetrical L-points, so 8 "cones" (each one at 180deg from another, with the 8 summits meeting at the center.)

Thank you for your reply! :) I have now figured out some more details to help solve this:

My structure has a (111) surface. The incomplete band gap goes from (000) to (111) points in reciprocal space. The (111) point in reciprocal space corresponds to light traveling along the <111> vector in real space (that is, perpendicular to my surface). So far so good.

The challenge now is to understand which other directions fall within the incomplete band gap. That is, which real space vectors are found in the interval between the (000) and (111) points in reciprocal space? I think my problem is that I never quite understood how the x-axis in band diagrams is actually constructed, with the critical points and all. Mapping something three dimensional onto a one-dimensional axis is not easy to visualize..

I found a reference claiming that the incomplete band gap only corresponds to light perpendicular to the surface (see attachment and read subtext). Does this seem reasonable?

Once again thanks for your time.

Attachments

• brillzone.png
    brillzone.png
    20.5 KB · Views: 655
The graph on the right is for a single direction, but the graph on the left is for different wavevectors, which include both direction and wavength information.

Of course, to relate reciprocal space to real space, we need these formulas:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reciprocal_lattice

You can simplify the concept by a considering a 1D photonic band gap (instead of your 3D crystal), which is nothing more than a periodic multi-layer mirror (a 1D crystal right?). What happens if you tilt the mirror?

Now for a 3D crystal, you get the same, except that the phenomena happens at more than one direction, and most likely at more than one different wavelengths.

Last edited:

1. What is a photonic band gap?

A photonic band gap is a range of wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation in which propagation of light is completely forbidden due to the periodic structure of a material.

2. What is the difference between incomplete and complete photonic band gaps?

An incomplete photonic band gap refers to a range of wavelengths where only certain frequencies of light are forbidden, while a complete photonic band gap refers to a range of wavelengths where all frequencies of light are forbidden.

3. How are photonic band gaps created?

Photonic band gaps are created through the periodic arrangement of materials with varying refractive indices. This results in constructive and destructive interference of light waves, leading to a forbidden range of wavelengths.

4. What are the potential applications of photonic band gaps?

Photonic band gaps have potential applications in creating materials with unique optical properties, such as photonic crystals and metamaterials. They can also be used in optical filters, lasers, and sensors.

5. Can photonic band gaps be manipulated?

Yes, photonic band gaps can be manipulated by changing the periodicity or composition of the material, as well as by altering the angle or polarization of the incident light. This allows for control over the forbidden range of wavelengths and can be useful in various applications.