Determining Reactions for Cantilever and Simply-Supported Beam Loads

In summary, the beam ABC has a 3m cantilever span AB and a 10m simply supported span BC. The design loadings for this beam are 28kN/m UDL along span BC and 36kN point load at the end of the cantilever at A. The support reactions for load case 1 are Rb and Rc both equal to 140kN, and for load case 2, Rb is 46.8kN and Rc is -10.8kN. Thebest99 advises to leave a space between numeric values and their unit symbols, and to always check your work using additional equations.
thebest99
Beam ABC has a 3m cantilever span AB and a 10m simply supported span BC. The beam has a design loadings as follows: load case 1, 28kN/m UDL along span BC. Load case 2: 36kN point load at the end of the cantilever at A.

For each of the load cases, determine the magnitude of the support reactions.

Im new to the structure seen, and have been learning at college. For this do we need forces to left equals forces. If someone could help me through the steps this would be great.

Just practising loads of examples in books thank you.

what i have got is

right, for the load case with the UDL Rb and Rc are both 140kN

For the other load case Rb=46.8 and Rc = -10.8

if someone could tell me if this is right or help me show the working to get the correct anwer be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
can i see how you worked it out to mine, i did a table thnak you. just to compare different approaches

You haven't shown your working, but the point I would like to make is that you can check your own work easily. For example, in the first case, however you obtained the reactions, using two equations, there is a third equation available to you which should be satisfied (perhaps taking moments about A, for example). Although this doesn't guarantee correctness, it could well reveal an error.

thank you i seem to have sorted the answer out now with working thank you

1. How do I determine the reactions for a simply-supported beam?

In order to determine the reactions for a simply-supported beam, you will need to use the equations of static equilibrium. This involves summing the forces and moments in the horizontal and vertical directions and setting them equal to zero. From there, you can solve for the reactions at each support.

2. What are the differences in determining reactions for a cantilever beam versus a simply-supported beam?

The main difference between determining reactions for a cantilever beam and a simply-supported beam is the number of unknown reactions. A cantilever beam has only one support, while a simply-supported beam has two supports. This means that for a cantilever beam, you will only need to solve for one reaction, while for a simply-supported beam, you will need to solve for two reactions.

3. Can I use the same method to determine reactions for both cantilever and simply-supported beams?

Yes, the method for determining reactions for cantilever and simply-supported beams is the same. You will still need to use the equations of static equilibrium and solve for the unknown reactions at each support.

4. Are there any assumptions that need to be made when determining reactions for beams?

Yes, there are a few assumptions that need to be made when determining reactions for beams. These include assuming that the beam is a rigid body, neglecting the weight of the beam, and assuming that the supports are frictionless.

5. What if the beam has multiple point loads and/or distributed loads?

If the beam has multiple point loads and/or distributed loads, you will need to consider each load individually and use the equations of static equilibrium to solve for the reactions at each support. You may also need to use the principle of superposition to account for the effects of multiple loads on the beam.